Routine is overrated?

Okay! Just wrapped up consistent work out schedule over out of state flights and family events this weekend. How do you stick to your routines, or are they overrated?

Replies

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,725 Member
    Routine and habits are good (if they aren't unpleasant because extreme etc), because they lower the mental load of those activities. No need for motivation, it's just something we do (like brushing our teeth or doing laundry).

That being said, I thing there are degrees of habit/routine. I work out regularly: the only 'routine' for me in that regard is that I tend to prefer my exercise in the late afternoon, before dinner. But the precise workout varies (and isn't planned beforehand), and I don't necessarily work out every day. My goal is a certain mileage per week (running) and number of other workouts, and I work around my varying schedule (some evenings I have to cook, if I work late that day, I won't work out). These are regular occurrences, so it's my routine.
    I think other people might have more rigid habits: every Tuesday activity 1, every Thursday activity 2 (not just for working out, but life in general, like doing laundry and cleaning the house). That's not my style at all 😆

A different thing is temporary circumstances that don't allow me to follow the routine above.
    While traveling for example. I try to stay active, but I'm not going to force myself into the same routine if not convenient. If I can find accommodation with a gym, I'll go whenever fits my schedule: usually morning or late evening, and usually more strength training, because most hotel gyms are way too hot for comfortable cardio, but nowhere near the usual frequency.
    Or I might not not work out at all - we tend to do a lot of walking while travelling anyway. I'm always 'punished' for that, because my (running) fitness level tends to drop very quickly even in a few weeks, but I also want to enjoy my holiday and not make it all about working out and watching my food intake.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,773 Member
    I don't think there's a generic answer. It depends on a person's goals, IMO.

For a time, I was actually training, using a periodized plan from my coach, and occasionally competing. While there was some flexibility, it was pretty important to stay on plan if I wanted the fitness and technical benefits.

Even then, there were things that were a higher priority in my life. Example: Family or job emergency. I was (am) a recreational athlete, not a professional.

If the point is general fitness, I need some consistency, but it's more flexible. If the point is weight management, then everything's fine as long as the calories balance out reasonably over time. If the point is fun (as it often is these days) . . . well, it's easy to be consistent as long as nothing higher priority comes along.

I usually have a planned schedule of some kind. Sticking with that plan more strictly or less: That comes down to goals (why I'm doing those things in the first place) and life priorities.

Routine is probably good, generically and within good overall life balance.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,152 Member
    I treat them like everything else I do regularly, like eat, go to work, shopping, walking the dog, If I can't do one or another for what ever reason, then that particular task or tasks are missed but as soon as that interruption is over, then I just go back to my everyday routines, stuff happens right? If exercise is a new thing for you then don't sweat it, just make sure it's part of your normal routine because those out of state flights and family events will probably happen for many years to come.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 8,283 Member
    edited August 21
    I have a very planned workout schedule I like, including certain instructors or challenging classes I prefer. I stick to my schedule like glue, booking far in advance to make sure I can reserve slots. It’s a a rut, but I figure it’s a darn good one to be in.

We travel a fair amount. Last year I spent a couple of months overseas. I packed running shoes, and I hit a TKMaxx (no idea why it’s spelled differently there🤷🏻‍♀️) for a cheap yoga mat. I was able to walk and run extensively in a beautiful area, and also took advantage of the superb bicycle infrastructure to ride all over the place, 10-12 miles a day. Not much by many folks’ standards, but a lot for me. I also had a link to Dropbox for some excellent yoga classes my daughter had taught on the west coast. It was refreshing to change things up for a few weeks, and I thoroughly enjoyed the “time spent with” my daughter via her prerecorded classes.

On an upcoming trip to Eastern Europe, I’m packing running shoes and yoga pawz/yoga toez, along with a band. They are non slip hand and feet covers that give you the grip of a mat without the bulk of packing one. My only concern is, we’ll be in a very isolated rural area. I already get the side-eye in cities in Europe because of my ubercolorful gear, so I’m going to take my blandest leggings and tanks.

My plan is to download some of those yoga classes to my phone and take some earbuds, since I don’t expect good internet connection where we will be, and I don’t want to disturb other people traveling with us hearing a yoga flow etc called out .

I have no problem whatsoever immediately falling back into my happy rut whenever I get back from trips. In fact, it’s a relief, because I have to try all the foodz when I travel, and naturally, my faves are the highest calorie/fat/carb ones. I’m looking at you, quarkbällchen and laugenecke.

Many, what I wouldn’t give for a plate of those right now…..

But seriously, that first bowl of cottage cheese when I get home is like aaaaaaaaaah !

Anyway, your original question: is routine overrated?

Nope, routine means habit, and habit is what keeps me in maintenance. If anything, if more people here would find their rut and develop their routine, there’d be a lot more successful losers. Routine is underrated, imho.
  • cupcakesandproteinshakes
    cupcakesandproteinshakes Posts: 1,108 Member
    I love my routines at home. Periodised lifting plan. 4 days, 2 step classes and a salsa class. My eating is pretty samey as we but I enjoy it. I have no drama around food as a result. I enjoy the odd meal out but I don’t eat like an idiot.

When I’m away for the weekend or on holiday, I tend to be walking a lot and not meal planning. But again, I don’t eat like an idiot. Maybe a bit higher in carbs and fats, a few more treats. But it doesn’t result in any gain other than a few pounds of water weight.

TLDR: routine is good if you can figure out one that works for you.
  • davidgutschon
    davidgutschon Posts: 3 Member
    I believe routine is a good thing, but you have to find a starting point that you can commit to and accomplish. Routine means consistency in action, if you don't have consistency, you will never build momentum. How will you ever get where you want to go without momentum to push you there?