stuck and so annoyed.

Options
I dont know what im supposed to do except workout more? I mean honestly.
I eat between 1400-1600 calories a day, regardless of working out or not. I work out at least 3 days a week for an hour.
Lost 50 pounds, but im stuck at 180 and have been for about 3 months.
Im kind of just over it,
Seriously, Pretty pissed off actually.
Why diet and workout if im not going to lose a single ounce!?

Replies

• bjfmade
    bjfmade Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    because your other option is to gain all your hard work back.....
    You have come a long way! That is a fantastic weight loss
  • dawnemjh
    dawnemjh Posts: 1,465 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat! I have gained and lost the same 5 pounds since february. Wish I could offer some advice, but stick with it so you dont gain!!
  • fitniknik
    fitniknik Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    Im right there with you! Stuck for 4 months! I think I am starting to realize why though. When I was losing weight I was burning a ton more calories a week, and not snacking my brains out at night (like now). I think I have slowly turned into something I was not when I started without realizing it!
  • mrau719
    mrau719 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Change your workout routine girl! Your body could just be getting used to what you've been doing. Do you do weights? If you don't start! Even if it's just some simple hand weights. If you already do weights switch up the routine...even if it's just increasing the weights and slightly lower reps. Try out some different cardios and make sure you're getting 45-60 mins 4-5x's a week! You can do it!!
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Well I looked at your diary. It's a tough call. You seem to be doing really well. I do have 2 suggestions though:

1. Try to find a way to make your workouts more challenging or change up the exercise that you do.
    2. Try netting low for a while. Meaning exercise every day and don't eat back those calories. You don't want to do this forever but the larger deficit might give your metabolism an extra boost.
  • mevalentina
    mevalentina Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    It is really hard when the scale is stuck and won't move. That is also happening to me right now, but we can't give up or the weight will just creep back on, and soon we will be right back where we started. I am going to try adjusting my calories starting next week to 100-200 more to see if that makes a difference. Perhaps another thing you could try is just changing up your workouts try something that uses different muscles groups or perhaps more cardio. I am going to try the 30 day shred videos, and zumba since I have been jogging and it is getting me nowhere except around the track :)) Good luck and hang in there you have come so far I would hate to see all your hard work go to waste :)
  • sarahi2009
    sarahi2009 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I know it can be frustrating, but not as frustrating as gaining it all back and feeling crappy. You should be proud, forty nine pounds is excellent. Maybe you can research on doing different exercises or maybe changing up your foods. Are you toning up? Do you take measurements or pictures? Sometimes when you don't see the scale move, the measurements and the pictures will tell you a lot more. Stay motivated!!
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    I dont know what im supposed to do except workout more? I mean honestly.
    I eat between 1400-1600 calories a day, regardless of working out or not. I work out at least 3 days a week for an hour.
    Lost 50 pounds, but im stuck at 180 and have been for about 3 months.
    Im kind of just over it,
    Seriously, Pretty pissed off actually.
    Why diet and workout if im not going to lose a single ounce!?

Have you reset your goals lately with your new weight?
    Are you watching your sodium?
    Have you tried raising your protein and lowering your carbs?
    Have you ever cycled your calories? My normal is 1480 but this week I'm doing 1200 for ajump start (only for 1 week)
    Are you drinking enough fluid?

I know it's frustrating --- been there many many times and usually its because I wasn't eating enough -- or I just need to change something for awhile.
  • _CowgirlUp_
    _CowgirlUp_ Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    You sound just like how I feel. I just haven't voiced it on here yet. I even find myself saying "screw it." I stay within the same weight range of 3 lbs give or take and that's it. Everyone says it's because I'm down to the last 10 lbs. that I need to loose and therefore it's harder...hang in there. You've come to far to throw in the towel. Maybe switch up your workouts...do a day then two off and try different things...if you're used to running and elliptical then do more weights and Zumba for instance. Weight training supposedly will ramp up your metabolism for a longer period of time than cardio. Hard for me to give advice when I'm in the same boat though. :glasses:
  • sculley
    sculley Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    I am 6 months post c-section with my youngest and I have been gaining and loosing the same darn 5 lbs.....i am sitting at 161 and woke up the other morning and found love handles i was like how in the heck is that happening .....i feel your pain :(
  • sfinsterys
    sfinsterys Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    You could try:

Occasionally blow it. Eat whatever you want. Go way over. I have a friend who calls it a "screw it" day. Then go back to being good. This is supposed to trick your body out of starvation mode.

Change your exercise routine. Your muscles get more efficient at a workout & burn fewer calories. If you mix things up it keeps your calorie burn higher.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options
    Im right there with you! Stuck for 4 months! I think I am starting to realize why though. When I was losing weight I was burning a ton more calories a week, and not snacking my brains out at night (like now). I think I have slowly turned into something I was not when I started without realizing it!

Forget you! Put that cat on a diet now!!

Not trying to wag my fingers at you or anything, but obese cats end up with kidney stones that their bodies aren't able to pass. The vet will have to do surgery, and the whole experience is terribly painful for the kitty.
  • butterflimom
    Options
    Just curious, but are you still loosing inches? My body has a tendency to stall out from time to time as well. I just recently started taking measurements and monitoring those.
    Another thing, you can shock your body by eating a "cheat meal" - a lot of experts recommend doing this to surprise your body and tricking it.
    Also, are you doing the same routines? If so change them up.
    Another good rule of thumb is to watch your sodium and sugar intakes.

Remember, you have come too far to give up on your healthy goal. There are several things that you can do if you have hit a plateau.
    If you want, you can send a friend request.
    Best of luck!!!
  • aspencer122
    aspencer122 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    dont fall off the wagon. A lot of people go through this. Trust me I was one. If you stop you have a high chance of putting it all back on plus more. bodies do this to people to try and make them fall off. just think your body is wanting you to go back to the old you.

I have a question for you. HAve you been doing to same kind of workout. I mean not like set ups and push ups I mean like cardio cardio cardio? If you do your body could be getting us to it so it really needs a change in the excersize. Try mixing it up to a completly dif program. that is why you dont see a 365 Beachbody program. They know that your body will get us to it and then you wont see any changes.

Good luck hope this helps.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options
    You could try:

Occasionally blow it. Eat whatever you want. Go way over. I have a friend who calls it a "screw it" day. Then go back to being good. This is supposed to trick your body out of starvation mode.

Change your exercise routine. Your muscles get more efficient at a workout & burn fewer calories. If you mix things up it keeps your calorie burn higher.

That method worked really well for me for awhile but I find myself saying "screw it" too often and it's causing gains instead of the opposite. If you say "screw it" and gain, then your body was nowhere near starvation mode.
  • miriamtorason
    miriamtorason Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to offer a hug and some "been there, doing that." I'm in the same boat, right down to the attitude.

I lost crazy weight in my first 100 days. I made it to 210 before I skipped even a single day of watching (some days I counted, some days I eyeballed it {like on vacation and such}). I gained and lost the same pound for that second 110 days. Got incredibly sick of it. Stopped everything, and eyeballed what I was eating. Oddly, after about two months of that, I'm still hanging out right around the same weight. I'm up a little, but the night before my weigh in was sodium heavy {my oven is broken, so I'm making do} and I'd started AF two days before.

This whole "stuck" thing bites, and I wish I had some advice for you, but all I can say is:
    Please keep trying. I dropped it for a long time, and now trying to get back into the groove is stupidly hard.
  • 4theking
    4theking Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Your metabolism has slowed down. Keep your calories at 1400 for six days a week and then have one spike day at 2600-2800 calories. This spike will increase your fat burning hormones and you will see a loss on the scale.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    You've done amazing and you're 1/2 way to your goal. Starting with the good.

The bad is that you're keeping your calorie intake the SAME day after day even on days you workout. I assume you're logging every workout, and every bite.

I'm not sure if you meant that the calories you are taking in each day remains the same even after a workout (meaning your NET calories are always the same). Truth be told if you are logging every workout, and not reaching the minimum your body needs each day your body is NOT going to let go of any weight.

For example (I'll use my personal experience since I recently reached my goal weight):

My goal to lose 1lb/week was to eat 1,260 a day. On days I worked out I burned anywhere from 300-500+ calories. I logged my workouts in advance (a 6:30 class I would log in the afternoon). I spread the extra calories around during the day with healthy whole foods. If I DID NOT do this I would have fallen below 1,200 on days I had a workout. That would mean, yes, I ate more than 1,260 but with that workout in there *boom* I'd be below what my body needed to function and I would not have lost any weight.

Think of it this way: weight watchers functions with the same concept. If you fall below your goals your body holds on to the weight. On MFP some people eat back all their extra cals, some eat back 1/2. For you, you have to do what works. For me, eating less than 1,200 would have been not only damaging to my body over the long term...I would not have met my goals.
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    I just checkd your diary and see you're using the default settings...

I would definitely try changing those and try to get more protein ---
    I usually have mine at 45% protein -- -but currently I'm at 40% protein, 30% carb, 30% fat.

Quinoa is a good choice -- but since you love those protein bars, maybe look for one with less carbs?
    Also maybe switch bananas with better fruits like blueberries --- (bananas are my fave too)

Also make sure you didn't choose to lose 2lbs a week.....with what you ened to lose, it shouldn't be more than 1lb/week.
  • steveo3516
    Options
    Heather, you've made a real change in a short amount of time. I am so far from an expert, but the one thing I hear over and over is if you're stuck its time for a dramatic change in your routine.

I can't tell you how happy you'll be if you try P90X. I'm on my 17th consecutive day. I've now worked out more in two weeks than I have in the last two years. I'm so not this type of person, but I commited to the program and its so awsome. I never worked out in the morning, but in order to be interruption free from the wife and kids, I'm getting up at 5am to work out. So crazy, but you compelled me to share.

The program is great for anyone who gets bored easy. It changes every 30 seconds and is different every day then changes again after 3 weeks.

The best is those little catch phrases like "do your best and forget the rest" or "Keep coming back and keep pushing play"

go for it.

Steve