Measuring devices suck @$$!!

Options
In the last three weeks I have felt great! my clothes are fitting better, I have more energy so I decided to weight my self and take my measurements. WHAT A MISTAKE!! I have not lost a single pound in two weeks and all my measurements are all the same. My boyfriend walked in while I was taking my measurements ( I was naked) and he said, "you look great" which I replied, "I look the same, your just saying that cause I am working so hard, but not one single thing on this body has changed!" I am at a loss. I don't know what to do, it almost seems like, "why bother!" I lost 5 lbs and a couple of inches my first week and nothing since. A a 5 week plateau is the most depressing thing out there!

I just need to vent and hear that everyone has been there and that this plateau will break, one day, cause I don't know what to do anymore.

Replies

• Margy82
    Options
    In the last three weeks I have felt great! my clothes are fitting better, I have more energy so I decided to weight my self and take my measurements. WHAT A MISTAKE!! I have not lost a single pound in two weeks and all my measurements are all the same. My boyfriend walked in while I was taking my measurements ( I was naked) and he said, "you look great" which I replied, "I look the same, your just saying that cause I am working so hard, but not one single thing on this body has changed!" I am at a loss. I don't know what to do, it almost seems like, "why bother!" I lost 5 lbs and a couple of inches my first week and nothing since. A a 5 week plateau is the most depressing thing out there!

I just need to vent and hear that everyone has been there and that this plateau will break, one day, cause I don't know what to do anymore.
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    read this:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/3047-700-calories-a-day-and-not-losing

it explains a lot of how the body reacts to weight loss. Much of it doesn't apply to you because I don't think you are obese (based on you only wanting to loose 25 lbs), but a lot of it will apply because you are still going through the early stages of changing your habits.
  • kristin217
    Options
    I too, am VERY frustrated!
    I'm in week three.
    Week one I lost 6 pounds, then week 2 I exercised more and ate even more healthfully, and I lost .2 pounds! This week I feel like I'm doing even better, but am at EXACTLY the same weight!!!!!!
    Same thing, my husband says, "I can tell you're losing weight." BUT I"M NOT!!!!!!!
    Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong???
  • melathon
    melathon Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend walked in while I was taking my measurements ( I was naked) and he said, "you look great"

Hey! Pause for a second and just reflect on how nice that is!
    You've got a guy who thinks you look great! That's a positive thing.

:flowerforyou:
  • dhayes
    dhayes Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Hi maybe the weight is being redistributed on your body. I know that has happened with me, I don't see it my self but EVERYONE I know tells me they see a big difference. I hope they are right so many people have said it that it must be true. Also early in my weight loss I noticed that my boss 2 levels up was looking at me strangely for a few days. Eventually she asked if everything was ok. She thought that I was sick because she noticed the loss. I had lost maybe 20 pounds at that point and didn't think anyone would notice that, as I weighed almost 400 pounds at the time. But she did.

The point is keep up the good work the weight will start to come off. Usually we are the last to notice.
    :smile:
    Oh yeah be nice to your BF. He definitely noticed.:wink:
  • pam0206
    pam0206 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    I'm with Mel on this one.

I experienced the same thing. The one thing that you must NOT do is give up. You guys aren't doing anything wrong. Your body will catch up and you will see results. It is disheartening to have these weeks, but it will pay off in the end (no pun intended:wink: )
  • Margy82
    Options
    Thanks for the help banks 1850, but that is no where near my problem. I am not obese, and I ate good healthy food for 3 months with an active lifestyle before reducing my calorie intake. My body is adjusted to the changes. I don't eat fast food, I am a cook, have cooked for years and I know whats good for you and what is not. I am eating 1400 clean calories a day, in 5 meals, which is my recommended amount from my BMI. I am strength training 5 days a week for 40-60 mins a day and I am doing cardio for 40 min 3 times a week. I never eat after 7pm, I always get 8 hours of sleep. This is the only stress in my life. I am a perfectionist about everything I do, I do it to the letter. That is why this is so frustrating! I mean the girl in that article started losing weight after 4 weeks, it's been 5 and not a thing for me. I must be doing something wrong.
  • vicky1
    vicky1 Posts: 236
    Options
    Are you eating those extra calories from exercise?????

it should be basic plus cals burned through exercise if you aren't eating them you could actually be sending your body to starvation mode I only ask because you said you were eating 1400 cals but never mentioned the extra ones you are earning from your cardio work etc.
  • Margy82
    Options
    I talked to my doctor about starvation mode, and he said that as long as I have a minimum of 1200 net calories a day I am fine and should be losing weight, and that starvation mode does not just kick in every time you are 100-200 calories under your net calories. My strength training workouts never go over 200 calories, and I always have a protein shack after my cardio which is equal to my workout. So to answer your question, I never go into starvation mode.
  • vicky1
    vicky1 Posts: 236
    Options
    Just keep trying then and eventually you will lose weight if you are doing everything right then you are doing your best.

If your weight and size doesn't change for a long time it may be worth getting tested for things like thyroid disorder or hormone imbalance if you haven't already had this done.

Good luck