Goal weight???

Options
I'm 5'2"(almost :P) and my current weight is 72.6 kgs (159.7 lbs) which a lot for my height and i'm 22 years old.....

now i can't seem to fix a goal weight for myself...... i had fixed it on 55 kgs (121 lbs) but yesterday my dad said that someone my height n age should be 50 kgs (110 lbs)

so i really need suggestions about this... so i can update my profile here at MFP n consume daily calories according to that!

thnx!

Replies

• nikki91950
    Options
    girl, don't worry about your dad. 110 pounds is borderline unrealistic for me and i'm not even 5'1''. it's not just about your height. you have to take your build and muscle mass into consideration. i'm looking at 115-120 for my final goal weight, but i have a pretty large frame and carry my weight all throughout my body, not just in one area.
  • Forensic
    Forensic Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Both your goals mentioned are within the healthy bmi range. That said, you should probably get down a bit with toning and see where you want to be.
  • RuchikaPal
    RuchikaPal Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    girl, don't worry about your dad. 110 pounds is borderline realistic for me and i'm not even 5'1''.

so you think 121 lbs is fine??
  • nikki91950
    Options
    yeah!
  • MelissaSue612
    MelissaSue612 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I think the easiest way to figure that out is to start out with a goal in mind, but be willing to change it as you see how your body changes. I'm 5'10'' and just hit my 10 pound loss. I thought I would want to lose about 20 pounds over all, but now that I see what 10 looks like, I think 30 overall is more accurate for the picture that I have in my head of how I want to look. I also think it's easier to start with smaller goals and keep going as you achieve them. Just stick with it!
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2"(almost :P) and my current weight is 72.6 kgs (159.7 lbs) which a lot for my height and i'm 22 years old.....

now i can't seem to fix a goal weight for myself...... i had fixed it on 55 kgs (121 lbs) but yesterday my dad said that someone my height n age should be 50 kgs (110 lbs)

so i really need suggestions about this... so i can update my profile here at MFP n consume daily calories according to that!

thnx!

Yes you can update your goals --- but with the amount of weight you want to lose, you don't want to choose more than 1lb/week - and you'll probably be happier and less hungry if you choose 1/2lb/week. You definitely don't want to choose 2lbs/week unless you have at least 75 or more pounds to lose.
  • aj_rock
    aj_rock Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Set mini goals for yourself. Lose ten pounds, figure out where you're at, and set a new goal from there.

The idea is to find what weight YOU'RE happy with, not your dad.
  • mabug01
    mabug01 Posts: 1,273 Member
    Options
    You would look great at 120. Go for that!
  • jkuhn71
    jkuhn71 Posts: 199
    Options
    Whatever you do - do NOT be a slave to the scale!!! Having a number in mind is fine - but don't let it consume you!

For my height (5'4"), I've seen numbers down to 111 - which is completely crazy for me! I set a scale goal for myself, but honestly don't put much stock in it - I measure my success more in body fat percentage than that silly number on the scale. :laugh:

Just my $0.02 - so take it for what it's worth!!! :wink:
  • sfinsterys
    sfinsterys Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    A BMI chart I got from a trainer says that healthy weight range for 5'2" is 104-131lbs, which is 47-59.4 kg.