What is your best low-cal substitute for half&half in coffee

What is your best low-cal substitute for half&half in coffee?

Answers

• springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 8,283 Member
    Fat free half and half is only 20 per serving.

Frothed skim milk.

Lately I’m enjoying frothed plain planet oat. It makes the coffee more….savory?

• nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,764 Member
    Fairlife 2% milk.

2oz is 30 cal, 1.12g fat, 1.5g carb and 3.25g protein.

I find skim too thin.
  • melvagloden
    melvagloden Posts: 1 Member
    I switched to Nut-Pods half and half. I’ve only seen it on Amazon.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,783 Member
    It's not for everyone, but I prefer hot skim milk (and plenty of it) in my coffee. Frothed is extra-good, if I'm feeling fancy. I enjoy it, and it's a meaningful, calorie-efficient contribution to my protein goal, as a bonus.

Going to skim - if you want to try it - can be gradual, since the mouth-feel is different. a person can do a gradual progression of half and half => whole milk => 2% => skim, even smoothing the progression further by mixing the types in different concentrations along the way.

Many people like the low-calorie creamers. All of the ones I've tried taste gross, to me . . . and have a weird mouth-feel compared even to cream/half and half, IMO. But that's just personal taste stuff, that won't necessarily apply to others.
  • Corina1143
    Corina1143 Posts: 3,487 Member
    My choice is to add whey protein to my 2% milk. Doesn't cut calories as much as something else would. But it adds protein, whips a little, tastes rich, and helps fill me up and keep me full.
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 2,050 Member
    I've used milk and unsweetened almond milk, but honestly, it just really doesn't cut it for me, so the little70 or so calories of half and half is worth it in my day (I also use the Jordan's Skinny Syrups for flavor and sweetness). Yes, I like my coffee fru fru, and yes, it's my one daily indulgence I have found is not worth giving up for me.

The almond milk with stevia I made work at one point, but it definitely did not bring me the same happiness my current coffees do LOL. I'd rather "give up" 70 calories somewhere else and thoroughly enjoy my coffees.