Share your favorite veggie/vegan recipe!

Options
Hi All!
I'm a vegetarian working on becoming more vegan. I'm always looking for some tasty recipes and would love to share!
Here's one I made up for vegan veggie burger patties Please post yours! :drinker:

VEGAN VEGGIE BURGER PATTIES

1 pckg Gimmie Lean “Sausage”
1 pckg Gimmie Lean “Ground Burger”
2/3 cup panko bread crumbs
2 tbsp ground flax flour
2 tbsp HP sauce
2 onion
6 garlic cloves

Makes 6 patties

Replies

• allenpearcy
    allenpearcy Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    That sounds great! Where do you find the 'Gimme Lean' products?
  • anjukins
    anjukins Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    ok i've posted this in like two other forums but it is SO GOOD I've eaten it like eight times in three weeks. also i don't want to lose this thread and this is the only recipe coming to mind right now...

I've been getting pints of sungold tomatoes, fresh fennel bulb, and green beans with my CSA, so I flash fry/steam one cup of each together 1/2 tsp of olive oil and a little bit of water for a few minutes, and then add fresh dill and sea salt. I KNOW it sounds so plain but the flavors work perfectly together, and it gets all brothy and delicious and fills a 16-oz mason jar and is SO filling, I can't get over it. It's only 116 calories, or 220 with a slice of toast & earthbalance and a clove of garlic... so good :sob::
  • anjukins
    anjukins Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    and gimme lean or similar product is available at most health food stores, and safeway, top foods, and fred meyer all seem to carry them as well (though i prefer to shop locally when possible). :)
  • VeggiePumpkin
    Options
    That sounds great! Where do you find the 'Gimme Lean' products?

Both my local food co-op has it and my local grocery store (Nugget.) I think Whole Foods carries it if there's one near you. Their website might tell you better where to find it. I made a great faux sausage and gravy over biscuits for Father's Day this year with their Gimmie Lean Sausage. It was FANTASTIC!
  • VeggiePumpkin
    Options
    ok i've posted this in like two other forums but it is SO GOOD I've eaten it like eight times in three weeks. also i don't want to lose this thread and this is the only recipe coming to mind right now...

I've been getting pints of sungold tomatoes, fresh fennel bulb, and green beans with my CSA, so I flash fry/steam one cup of each together 1/2 tsp of olive oil and a little bit of water for a few minutes, and then add fresh dill and sea salt. I KNOW it sounds so plain but the flavors work perfectly together, and it gets all brothy and delicious and fills a 16-oz mason jar and is SO filling, I can't get over it. It's only 116 calories, or 220 with a slice of toast & earthbalance and a clove of garlic... so good :sob::

OOOO!!!!! I don't think that sounds over-simple. It sounds fantastic to me! I love that you mentioned mason jars, I ADORE them and use them for everything. Hahaha. I'll have to make that this weekend after hitting our Farmers Market. Mmmmmm, thanks for sharing. :bigsmile:
  • sharonus
    Options
    *bump*! I am so not a cook, but looking for some good vegetarian recipes! :)
  • ishapeme
    ishapeme Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    bump

Rachel Ray’s veggie Sheppard’s Pie! So YUM!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    We weren't vegan or vegetarian but this was my daughter's favorite dinner growing up. It's super quick and easy.

Stuffed Shells

One box whole grain large shell pasta
    One box frozen chopped spinach
    One good sized bunch fresh basil, roughly choppped
    One pkg extra firm tofu
    One cup shredded mozzerella cheese
    1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
    3 cups marinara sauce
    Mrs. Dash garlic & herb spice

Oil bottom of 9 x 13 in baking dish
    Crumble tofu and mix with spinach, basil, mozzeralla and a few shakes of Mrs. Dash in bowl
    Stuff this into shells and place in baking dish
    Pour marinara sauce over, then top with grated parmesan

Bake at 350 F until heated through and cheese is melted.
  • scs143
    scs143 Posts: 2,190 Member
    Options
    Here is a recipe I made up for burgers as well!

Chickpea burgers and garlic dill sauce

Burgers:
    2 cans of chick peas drained
    Kalamata olives- I buy the jar from trader joes and use half, but I love olives
    1 block of low fat feta cheese
    handful of fresh parsley
    3 garlic cloves
    squeeze of half a lemon
    2 T of olive oil

Blend the above in your food processor until its the consistancy of hummus. Then place your mixture in a bowl and add:

1 cup of whole wheat bread crumbs
    salt and pepper

Mix the bread crumbs, s&p in well. Refrigerate for a couple of hours.

For the sauce:

2T of low fat mayo (i can't stand fat free, but if you can- go for it)
    2T of low fat sour cream
    1 T fresh dill chopped
    1 garlic clove
    1T lemon juice

When the chickpea mixture is cold, form it into patties. I brush the patties with olive oil and either brown each side in a pan until crisp or I grill on foil on the grill. I always top them with grilled red peppers and grilled tomato. They are the best on a ciabatta roll.

Enjoy!!!
  • lfusfeld
    Options
    I'm vegan. :) The best resource for vegan recipes is www.vegweb.com. You could also do PCRM's 21 day vegan kickstart (or if you live in one of the areas we're covering, my nonprofit has an in-person program that will start back up in 2012 to help people try veganism for 30 days in Philadelphia, Phoenixville (PA), New York City, Chapel Hill, Bend (OR), and Salt Lake City)

I make baked tofu by pressing it a little bit, slicing it into strips, spray the pan with olive oil, put the strips down, spray the srips with olive oil, sprinkle garlic powder, onion powder and salt on top. Bake for maybe 20 min at 400. It's not a science, but just bake it until it starts crisping up a bit.

I also make a lot of fruit/veggie combo smoothies. And salads. I'm starting to do really basic/simple foods like steamed broccoli or string beans without anything on them, baked squash with nothing added, etc. Filling with fewer calories and I love the taste of the veggies.
  • gingersnap901
    gingersnap901 Posts: 5 Member
    Options

This sounds great! I'm going to try it soon!
  • VeggiePumpkin
    Options
    WOW! These all sound so fantastic! Thanks for sharing, I'm really excited to try them all. That baked tofu sounded really good. I'm usually not a tofu girl, but I'd give that a go.

Last night I made some whole grain pasta with fried artichoke hearts and sage. I cooked them in about 2tbsp olive oil in my cast iron skilled for a long time (about 30min) till really crispy. It was FANTASTIC! I would make it again for sure. I added the chopped sage leaves in at the last 5min and the artichokes were just drained artichoke hearts from Costco. So easy! Tossed it with a little cheese and Mmmmmm.
  • live2dream
    live2dream Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    Here is a recipe I made up for burgers as well!

Chickpea burgers and garlic dill sauce

Burgers:
    2 cans of chick peas drained
    Kalamata olives- I buy the jar from trader joes and use half, but I love olives
    1 block of low fat feta cheese
    handful of fresh parsley
    3 garlic cloves
    squeeze of half a lemon
    2 T of olive oil

Blend the above in your food processor until its the consistancy of hummus. Then place your mixture in a bowl and add:

1 cup of whole wheat bread crumbs
    salt and pepper

Mix the bread crumbs, s&p in well. Refrigerate for a couple of hours.

For the sauce:

2T of low fat mayo (i can't stand fat free, but if you can- go for it)
    2T of low fat sour cream
    1 T fresh dill chopped
    1 garlic clove
    1T lemon juice

When the chickpea mixture is cold, form it into patties. I brush the patties with olive oil and either brown each side in a pan until crisp or I grill on foil on the grill. I always top them with grilled red peppers and grilled tomato. They are the best on a ciabatta roll.

Enjoy!!!

That sounds really good! Could be easily veganized I'm sure, too! :)
  • JNettie73
    JNettie73 Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    bumping for later
  • Uk_Yogini
    Options
    Kale and Seitan

Ingredients :

1 huge bunch of kale (about 8 to 10 cups sliced)
    2 cups seitan, sliced, cubed or chopped
    1 onion
    2 cloves garlic
    1 teaspoon ginger
    2 tablespoons canola oil
    1 teaspoon sesame oil
    2 tablespoons soy sauce
    2 tablespoons rice vinegar

Directions:

1) Clean and chop kale. Steam for 5 to 10 minutes, or until bright green and soft. You could also dunk it in boiling water for a couple of minutes, uncovered, until bright green if you don't have a steamer.

2) Meanwhile, slice the onion into thin half moons and mince the garlic and ginger. Heat the oils in a large skillet or wok over medium heat and add the onion, ginger, and garlic. Cook, stirring often, until the onions are just translucent. Add sliced seitan (if it is packaged in water, drain it first) and stir to heat though.

3) Around this time the kale should be done. Take the kale and add it to the skillet/wok and stir to combine. Heat for a couple more minutes or until kale is done to your liking. I tend to like it pretty "crunchy."

4) Turn off heat. Sprinkle on the soy sauce and rice vinegar and stir to mix everything together. Enjoy!

You may want to add the soy sauce and vinegar to taste. I have given approximate measures but I don't measure it.

Makes: 3 to 4 servings, Preparation time: 10 minutes, Cooking time: 10 minutes

~This is one of my to go to meals, super easy, quick and so tasty ..
  • scs143
    scs143 Posts: 2,190 Member
    Options
    @livetodream- thank you.

I recently did make it for a friend who is vegan and I left the feta out of the burgers and then made the garlic dill sauce with veganaise and no sour cream.
  • Finding_Tina
    Finding_Tina Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    15 bean soup--My kids' favorite

One 15 bean bag/dried beans.. rinsed
    couple of bay leaves
    Box of veggie broth (2 cups)
    Can of diced tomatoes
    Bag of stew vegetables (potatoes/carrots/onions) or improvise with what you have
    Combine in crockpot on low and cook all day.. It's a hearty soup.. add water if it's too thick for your tasting.
  • catdoc1
    catdoc1 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I have two new vegan cookbooks that I adore with "regular" whole food (not oddball stuff) and am in the process of wearing them out (a first for me!): "Peas and Thank You" and "The Happy Herbivore." Both have websites where you can check out the recipes.

I generally avoid products with TVP (textured vegetable protein) because it's highly processed, non-organic, GMO soy, but agree that Gimme Lean sausage is pretty awesome, occasionally splurge.
  • TrekkerCynthia
    TrekkerCynthia Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Is there some way to share the recipes you've added to your MFP recipe database?
  • noblesseoblige
    Options
    bumping to save this for later!