Wellbutrin

SisterSue2478
SisterSue2478 Posts: 5 Member
edited August 22 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi all. I want to begin by saying I’ve been a part of the site since 2012, I just had to re-create my profile. I’m just mentioning that so it’s clear that I’m not new to the weight loss game. I have successfully lost 50 pounds in the past.

My question today is about anyone who has been on Wellbutrin and your experience. I was recently diagnosed as perimenopausal and given this for my depressive episodes. One of the side effects can be weight loss. I’ve only been on it a week, but my appetite is extremely suppressed. I’m currently consuming about 1000 cal a day… I know this is not sustainable nor is it healthy. I’m working on eating more peanut butter to get that up to around 1400. While I understand most of this is water weight, I’ve lost about 7 pounds in the last week.

My question for those of you who have been on Wellbutrin is, does your appetite come back or do you have to force yourself to eat? I do meet with my doctor tomorrow so I will talk with her as well. Just looking for any firsthand experience. Thank you!

Replies

• COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,331 Member
    I don't have experience with Wellbutrin specifically, but I've been on a host of other psych meds over the years. What I've found is that most side effects kind of fade away after a month or a month and a half. It's been recommended to me by multiple providers that I give new meds that long to get up to therapeutic levels and let my body adjust.

Also, I've always heard of Wellbutrin as being "weight neutral" and not a "weight loss" option for depression, so I strongly suspect your appetite will come back once you've adjusted.
  • spellcheck
    spellcheck Posts: 8 Member
    I was on it (150 mg) and didn't have any additional weight loss or appetite suppression. I was on a low carb diet at the time, which also does some of the suppression work.
  • ddsb1111
    ddsb1111 Posts: 857 Member
    edited August 27
    It comes back.

As an aside, Wellbutrin didn’t help my perimenopausal depression, it took HRT and progesterone. Monitor this closely with your doctor and don’t be afraid to ask questions and advocate for yourself if it’s not working the way you hoped.
  • SisterSue2478
    SisterSue2478 Posts: 5 Member
    ddsb1111 wrote: »
    It comes back.

As an aside, Wellbutrin didn’t help my perimenopausal depression, it took HRT and progesterone. Monitor this closely with your doctor and don’t be afraid to ask questions and advocate for yourself if it’s not working the way you hoped.

Thank you. I can't do HRT because I'm a tobacco user... but Wellbutrin is also supposed to help with smoking cessation so I can make the transition HRT if necessary. So far I'm pretty happy with the results. I'm also taking a very low dose of Effexor so that may also contribute to my better mood. In addition, while I have had a urge to curb my vaping, I have completely quit using alcohol, which frankly was an issue for me. I'm thinking it's a combination of everything.

With all that being said... peri sucks. :)
  • Mischante
    Mischante Posts: 37 Member
    I've been on Wellbutrin for the last 1.5 years. I have not noticed any appetite suppression. But it does give me the drive to get off my butt and move more. Maybe that's why I don't notice anything? I'm pretty active and make sure I'm getting a minimum of 12,000 steps a day. I've also lost 50 lbs in the last 1.5 years and am currently maintaining my weight at 2000 calories/day.