slow cooker ideas?

Looking for slow cooker ideas, especialy oatmeal recipes. i just got one and im having fun with it :) thanks!

Replies

• UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,228 Member
    This isn't really a recipe, but my favorite thing to do in a crockpot is to cook chicken until it falls apart, portion it out, and freeze it for other recipes. Makes dinner real easy.
  • I don't have any oatmeal recipes for the crockpot, but I love Catalina Chicken:

6 chicken breasts (You can use frozen)
    1 bottle of Catalina salad dressing

Cook on low for 6-7 hours (or on high for about 4)

It's great with rice!
  • rf1170
    rf1170 Posts: 180 Member
    If you use steel-cut or even whole oats rather than rolled, you can cook them in a slow cooker without reducing them to complete mush. I haven't tried it in the crock pot myself, but I cook steel-cut oats on the stovetop, and they can take about 20 minutes to cook completely (unless I've soaked them overnight, which makes the process faster). I would try using the same proportions of oats to water that you would on the stove, and check periodically for doneness - and to make sure the water doesn't cook away.

You also might like baked oatmeal - here's a fantastic recipe: http://nourishedkitchen.com/recipes/?recipe_id=6002206

And as for other slow-cooker recipes, I'm a big fan of roasts. They're usually a lot cheaper per pound than quick cooking cuts like steaks or chops (and even cheaper than ground meat too), and when you add some veggies or fruit (potatoes, sauerkraut, apples, pears, carrots, squash, etc.), it's a one-pot meal! Chili or other stews are good in a crock pot, and grains or rice cook well too. Friend/message me if you want to talk recipe specifics - I'm happy to help if I can! Good luck!
  • Check here!! I cant wait to try their pumpkin bread pudding!!

http://www.skinnycrockpot.com/
  • Annieminnesota
    Annieminnesota Posts: 111 Member
    I just made this the other day, and it turned out great!

3-5 lbs roast
    1 1/4 cups water
    2 cans cream of mushroom soup
    1 packet of lipton onion soup mix

Throw all together in crockpot and set on low for 8-9 hours. We made sandwhiches out of it, and it was great!! Definately will be making it again.
  • tymee
    tymee Posts: 44 Member
    I just made this the other day, and it turned out great!

3-5 lbs roast
    1 1/4 cups water
    2 cans cream of mushroom soup
    1 packet of lipton onion soup mix

Throw all together in crockpot and set on low for 8-9 hours. We made sandwhiches out of it, and it was great!! Definately will be making it again.

I make similar...except I don't use the water, and use fat free mushroom soup. Make sure to trim off the fat on the meat as well. I add red potatoes and carrots to it as well
  • Catalina Chicken sounds good, will give it a try!
  • DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Get a little crazy, core and peel half a dozen apples, add a liter or so of water, and let simmer for a day or so. Eventually it'll all break down into super-thick apple sauce. Add water, or tilt the lid to the side to control how wet it is, and how cooked it gets.

Cool it, and use as jam/apple butter.