Todd - 56, T2 Diabetic, getting released from Hospital - New Start!

That says it all. I have been all the way around the horn. At 40 I did the 140.6 Ironman in 12 hrs. Since then I have been up, down and all around. Most recently collapsed with Acute Pancriatitis, been in hospital 5 days. Coming out to a new start.

Just wanted to make myself known and start some accountability.

Replies

• Corina1143
    Corina1143 Posts: 3,487 Member
    Wow! You really have been up, down, all around. Sounds like you'll be able to get back on track and figure it out fairly easily. The hard part may be the sticking with it long term. You can do that. Just have to keep on keeping on.
    Welcome!
  • Adventurista
    Adventurista Posts: 1,298 Member
    Wow, kudos on ironmans and ouch on the Acute Pancriatitis. Hope you recover well and get back at it. Is the T2 a new thing?
  • hogtodd1
    hogtodd1 Posts: 4 Member
    T2 is type 2 diabetes. Im learning its really the only one thats common. So “ diabetes” works. Dang what a scary word
  • Adventurista
    Nods, is the T2 diabetes a new thing for you from the pancreatitis? (Pancreas releases insulin from the beata cells) Agree, diabetes is tuff stuff - and fortunately there are ways to help our bodies with that.
  • hogtodd1
    hogtodd1 Posts: 4 Member
    Brand new. I did not know I had diabetes and I had an episode of acute pancreatitis which put me into the hospital. That is when I found out I had diabetes. I just got out of the hospital on Monday on my sugar meter thing and all that stuff. my hope is that I can be an athlete again.
  • Adventurista
    Nods, big change, and hopefully you'll find what works to manage it for you. Bit of a learning curve that your medical team should help you tackle.

It doesn't mean the end of exercise, but might mean different food and medicine management.

A quick search on the net highlights athletes with diabetes. Inspiring...

Hang in as you explore all this new stuff.