Screw this!

Options
I've been watching what I eat and working out regularly for 2 weeks now and I'm gaining weight faster than ever. If working out makes me gain weight, then I'm just going to stop.

And don't tell me it's muscle because you don't gain pounds of muscle after 2 weeks of cardio and a couple exercise DVDs.

If you guessed that I just got off the scale and cried for 5 minutes before posting this, you'd be right.

Replies

• lolainlondon
    lolainlondon Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Whenever this happens, I find that the portions I've been eating are bigger than the ones I think I'm logging. Check your portion size and see if that helps.
  • bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    Options
    *passes tissue*
  • omg_wtf
    Options
    I'd just continue what you're doing, just stay off the scale and rely on your measurements and clothing sizes.
  • trilikeagirl
    Options
    Patience.
  • philOHIO
    philOHIO Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    what are you eating? All the exercise won't help if you are eating bad foods...
  • Apryl546
    Apryl546 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Whoever says it's muscle is a freaking idiot.

But I'm going to say that it's just water retention. I didn't bother weighing myself the first couple weeks I started exercising because I was scared of possible water retention.

I say give it another, if you still continue to gain, consult a doctor, you may have an underlying problem.
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    MFP over calculates calories burned...
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Keep going, but stop weighing yourself. You can't tell in 2 weeks whether you are gaining or losing. Your weight will naturally fluctuate throughout the month. Keep going. If you are genuinely at a deficit, you will lose weight eventually. I weigh myself once a month to 6 weeks. There's no point in any more often.
  • Pocket_Pixi
    Pocket_Pixi Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    Its not muscle... its fluid retention.

Do not quit exercising just because the scale goes up. Take your measurements chances are you are losing inches. Eventually your body will adjust and things will fall into place.
  • glockster972
    glockster972 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    The scale is the devil!
  • daves160
    Options
    sodium intake? Water retention?
  • susanofscottsdale
    Options
    It is your decision to make & your responsibility. Good luck.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    MFP over calculates calories burned...
    totally
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    Its not muscle... its fluid retention.

Do not quit exercising just because the scale goes up. Take your measurements chances are you are losing inches. Eventually your body will adjust and things will fall into place.

I agree I always retain fluid when I exercise vigorously
  • SpaceMarkus
    Options
    Gaining weight when you start a new routine is normal. You have to dig deep and get off the fracking scale! Leave it alone. Take measurements. Try on new clothes. Whatever. But two weeks won't see a big yield unless you're just dropping water weight anyway.

The only way you're going to fail is if you quit. Commit yourself to at least 90 days of a good, sound, scientifically tested routine (I don't mean random workouts).

If you want some help, shoot me a friend request. But no more crying!
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,219 Member
    Options
    Well you only logged one day this week and you were under 1200 calories that day. Start logging everything then people can help you better.
  • stacymariegurl
    Options
    I know it can be difficult when you are gaining weight and trying soooo hard to lose, but sometimes your body just gets out of wack. OR it can be the type of exercising that you are doing. I know that when I did the 30DS, I gained weight for the first 2 weeks. And I mean like 3 lbs, but my body was visibly smaller and sore. lol.

It can also be the amount of calories you are eating. Sometimes my body loses faster when I eat 1500 calories a day versus 1200 calories. I know a lot of girls on here who have to up their protein intake in order to see a loss too.

Is it hard. Yes. Do you feel defeated. Obviously. But try some experiments with the type of workouts you do and the way you take in calories and see what works best for you.

Keep your head up chica!
  • AreneeG31
    AreneeG31 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    its only been two weeks girl! please do not stop! you can do this! there can be many factors that come into play when it comes to our bodies shedding weight! so, stay off of the scale for a while and continue and you will start seeing results more so in how you feel physically and how your clothes fit etc! hang in there! YOU CAN DO THIS! :flowerforyou:
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Can't help with the diary because not much is logged, but if you add a lot of veggies (low cal and filling) and prepare as much of your food as you can - grilled chicken, fish, etc. and watch your sodium, you should see a difference. It can take time for your body to adjust. I see your calorie goal is set below 1200. You do need to eat. You will feel better, and have more energy. Take your measurements, drink your water and keep going. You can do it!
  • sneezles
    sneezles Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I fight a similar battle. I lose 3 pounds and gain 2 then don't lose for a couple of weeks. Frustrating but I am winning (down 39 pounds since May). Have a good cry and then get back at it and you'll succeed, I promise.