the not so fun part of losing weight....sort of!!

Options
So I've lost 52 lbs since this time last year; 36 lbs since I joined MFP. Yay me, right? Absolutely, except my bank account hates me!! One of the great things about losing this weight is that I have been able to get back outside and enjoy the things I really love doing - hiking, climbing, SCUBA, camping etc. So, this summer I dropped a small fortune to get myself backpack worthy - new clothes because I hate when my pants fall off at 6500' etc etc. It was great, worth every penny and I had a fabulous summer.

Today, the weather is feeling definitely fall-like here in the PNW. So much so, it puts my mind in the way of winter sports - snowshoeing, winter hiking, skiing. I was feeling all energetic this morning, so dug out the winter sports gear...which brings me to my sad bank account. Put my trusty soft shell pants on...they fell off. Not just down to my butt, but pants on the ground off. Put my puffy jacket on...room for me and a friend or two. (hey - I'm all for keeping warm with a buddy but this is a little ridiculous)...sooooo off for another trip to REI, which I'm thinking I've been personally responsible for keeping afloat during our economic slump.

*sigh*......and woohoo!!!

Replies

• mandygal13
    mandygal13 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    *sigh*......and woohoo!!!

LOVE IT!!! :laugh:
  • Barbj56
    Barbj56 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Consignment shops and thrift stores can sometimes be great sources for these items! Congrats on the loss!
  • MrsM1ggins
    MrsM1ggins Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    I both love and hate this. I love the fact that my old clothes no longer fit 'cos it shows I'm making progress, but I hate buyng clothes when I've not reached my goal yet.

I'm scared to buy winter clothes because I'm hoping to be smaller still by the time I need to start wearing them! Maybe I can hold off until sale season?
  • bgredenbaugh
    bgredenbaugh Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    You need to find your inner bargain hunter. Try sierratradingpost dot com for outdoor wear and regular clothes, and overstock dot com for work and play clothes!

Yay you!
  • crozierb
    crozierb Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Yay and ouch... but the AWESOME thing about buying at REI- you can return literally anything you bought there at any time ( doesn't matter how worn it is) and they will give you in-store credit! I think that's how they keep their loyal customers.
  • sabified
    sabified Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    lol... yes, that sucks, but the reason behind it is awesome.. guess that's the payoff :p

Maybe try selling your old stuff on ebay/craigslist or garage sales or something... any amount back is better than nothing, right?

*edit*
    ooo, or if you bought your stuff at REI then do what crozier said! just take the old stuff in and use the store credits for new stuff!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,081 Member
    Options
    I just bought two really nice coats at thrift stores. When they get to be $200 new, I'm sorry, but I'm not spending that much.

One is a calf length cashmere/wool black coat, $29.

The other is a Gap dark brown heavy calf length coat - brushed cotton- $8.

After having them cleaned, they are like new.
  • Dona_Maria
    Dona_Maria Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Consignment shops and thrift stores can sometimes be great sources for these items! Congrats on the loss!

Exactly! I love thrift stores!
  • Pangea250
    Pangea250 Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Just had to mention that I read the topic title and the last post was written by supercoolspy. For a moment, my brain computed that this was something about losing weight with a colonoscopy. :blushing:
  • Telsera
    Telsera Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    If you are an REI member, and your too big clothes are in decent shape, you might want to consider returning them. REI has one of the most generous return policies of any store ever, so its definitely worth a try. Also I had some good luck at some of their "Attic Sales" finding stuff for super cheap. Have fun getting some new gear!
  • widmar
    Options

This is what I do!!! It's like a treasure hunt!!
  • Whitneylol
    Options
    I both love and hate this. I love the fact that my old clothes no longer fit 'cos it shows I'm making progress, but I hate buyng clothes when I've not reached my goal yet.

I'm scared to buy winter clothes because I'm hoping to be smaller still by the time I need to start wearing them! Maybe I can hold off until sale season?

I shop clearance and even thrift stores for this very reason! Also, buy stuff a little smaller than it needs to be that way it will last a bit longer!
  • krystle_swope
    Options
    The fact that you are healthy and lost all that weight is worth every penny! Keep it up!

And maybe you can sell your old clothes by having a yard sale or going to a flea market and make some of it back so you don't feel soo guilty about spending the money on new stuff!
  • CrystalFlury
    CrystalFlury Posts: 400 Member
    Options

Come to Texas, no need for winter clothing until oh, I don't know, January/February.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!