Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Does anyone have any tips on dealing with insomnia?

Does anyone have any tips on dealing with insomnia?

Answers

• fairzich
    fairzich Posts: 1 Member
    One thing that has helped is wearing a mask. I found a comfortable mask and I wear it all night, which helps me go to sleep and stay asleep.
    Also, a trick I read years ago has helped from time to time. A small glass of milk; I use almond milk, a tsp of vanilla, a tsp of sugar; I use stevia, and a dash of cinnamon. Warm it in the microwave and drink. Shockingly, it works.
    Melt, L-theanine, and ashwagonda have helped some people I know. Also, GABA.
    Best wishes.
  • backpacker1460
    backpacker1460 Posts: 1 Member
    No TV no noise in your bedroom and make it as dark as possible and if you're not asleep in 20 minutes get up read then try again and listen to your breathing this helps quiet your mind, if you can't hear it make it so you can hear it, this really helps. I also use the silk sleep mask found at Ulta kitchen I think is the name
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,629 Member
    Here are a couple of previous threads that included ideas for improving sleep:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10869826/resource-page-for-sleep-mindfulness-and-overall-wellness#latest

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10849352/sleep-suggestions/p1

There are various types of insomnia, and different things help for different people. Maybe you can find some ideas to try in those threads.

Best wishes!
  • VAkersx1
    VAkersx1 Posts: 10 Member
    Earbuds to listen to falling asleep meditations on Breethe app (has a free version) have been my go to lately. If you want to get healthy, lose weight, destress, or stop smoking-there is a meditation for everything.
  • jeri30
    jeri30 Posts: 60 Member
    I discovered a couple of weeks ago that Valerian Root and Benadryl together before bed will knock me out and also make it easier to go back to sleep when I do wake up (for bathroom or whatever reason). It lets me sleep for hours at a time, which my body had forgotten how to do I think, and helps with my allergies.
  • hostasnakeyes
    hostasnakeyes Posts: 2 Member
    I take high dose magnesium citrate capsules. I now get 6-7 hours sleep a night,
  • cxx12
    cxx12 Posts: 2 Member
    I do mg supplements for sleep, wear earplugs, wear an eye mask, read about 30 mins before sleep, take ashwaganda and melatonin sprays. What helps the most changes day to day. If my thoughts are racing, reading helps. If I am restless, cant shut my eyes - melatonin and sleep teas help... a little. If I cant stay asleep, earplugs and eye masks help. If the sleep quality sucks, mg supplements help. Ive been calmer overall after 1000mg of daily ashwaganda for almost 3 weeks now but i did not notice a big change. Most importantly, calming my mind - so doing things outside the sleep routine are helpful. Getting into crafts or journaling to express myself or working out a lot to deal with emotions. Best of luck
  • As someone who's had strong insomnia for most of my life, I've only really found two options that don't carry rebound effects like sleeping pills: physical exhaustion from a busy day (not about to call that sustainable or something to chase,) and melatonin about an hour before lying down.

It doesn't always work like I hope, but usually I feel my mind trying to hit the pillow before the rest of me. I really wish I'd given it a try years before, because I sorta just discounted it as placebo until the last year, and it turns out I couldn't have been more wrong about it.
  • nicolalewis8872
    nicolalewis8872 Posts: 1 Member
    I use to sit up for hours till 3-4am just never tired!!
    I read online our brains love habits and routines….
    They suggested listen to same music or tv programme or pod cast
    I tried and I have a bedtime programme (big bang theory) and soon as I hear it he it at 4pm or 11pm when I’m in bed I instantly want to sleep!! Sometimes I put it on and I don’t even remember getting past the intro!!

It takes a while (few weeks) but it really does work!

My son has adhd and struggles with sleep I’ve don’t this with him he watches young sheldon to bed every night and is asleep so quickly compared to before!!

Hope this helps x