lower leg pain and super frustrated

Options
I'm new to this physical fitness scene. I need to run in order to pass my PT test for my job, but the tendons in my lower legs are killing me. I had been walking and then tried working my way into running but gave it up a couple months ago cause I thought I may have stress fractures (bone pain not shin splints). They were feeling pretty good after I started on a stationary bike and an elliptical. This week I thought I'd give it a try again. What gives? I stretch before, after, and even during when it feels like it's really pulling. I've been doing the toe up, toe down, around and around exercises. Do I need to wrap 'em tighter with regular bandage wrap instead of leg sleeves (I have lost weight)? I did remember to ice 'em yesterday, it helped but they're still hurting. I have a trainer but haven't had an opportunity to talked with him yet but I will. Just wanting some extra input from others who may have a few extra tips.

BTW, for me it's not just about my job anymore, getting fit is what I WANT to do. I have made the mental switch.

Replies

• christineanne8
    Options
    It may be the way you are running. I would recommend going to a running specific store and having them test your gait/cadence/etc. Maybe new/more supportive shoes also? Hope this helps..
  • norcalchic
    norcalchic Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    If your open to chiropractic and you have a good chiropractor, have your feet and ankles adjusted, I used to have horrible pain in my lower legs. After having an adjustment and including my feet, my gate is better and I have zero pain in my legs.
  • jennajava
    jennajava Posts: 2,176 Member
    Options
    I'm new to this physical fitness scene. I need to run in order to pass my PT test for my job, but the tendons in my lower legs are killing me. I had been walking and then tried working my way into running but gave it up a couple months ago cause I thought I may have stress fractures (bone pain not shin splints). They were feeling pretty good after I started on a stationary bike and an elliptical. This week I thought I'd give it a try again. What gives? I stretch before, after, and even during when it feels like it's really pulling. I've been doing the toe up, toe down, around and around exercises. Do I need to wrap 'em tighter with regular bandage wrap instead of leg sleeves (I have lost weight)? I did remember to ice 'em yesterday, it helped but they're still hurting. I have a trainer but haven't had an opportunity to talked with him yet but I will. Just wanting some extra input from others who may have a few extra tips.

BTW, for me it's not just about my job anymore, getting fit is what I WANT to do. I have made the mental switch.

whens the last time you bought new running shoes?
  • horndave
    Options
    Shin splints are a big pain. Things that helped me. 1. Get fitted for running shoes 2. Use of a phsycial trainer to identify and correct running form mistakes. 3. Stretching before and after 4. Icing immediately afterward. 5. Building up my running distance slowly. 6. Going to see a dr to rule out other things.
  • rcrea
    rcrea Posts: 80
    Options
    I am dealing with the same type of lower leg pain right now as well. I thought maybe it was just my fibromyalgia acting up (it has a tendency to do that OFTEN!), but this sounds so similar. Thanks for sharing...I'm interested in seeing the response. Praying you feel much better FAST! xoxo
    :flowerforyou:
  • ljloran
    Options
    I did go to a running store because of my previous issue, but they only checked my pronation by walking across the floor, not my gait, cadence or whatever else they could check and I did get new shoes and they're not cheap. Maybe I need to travel farther to find a store that would do that, unfortunately the nearest one I know of is nearly 150 miles away. And Thank you, I didn't know they should be checking those other things as well.
  • ansonrinesmith
    ansonrinesmith Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    2 things REALLY helped me with the pain I was having on the front/outside (Anterior-Lateral)
    I think it is one of the Peroneus muscles.
    1) Stretching the calves
    2) Gel heel cups.

I don't run without either anymore. The one time I have since, the pain came back.
  • KarenTurnbough
    Options
    A stretch that may help (having suffered severe shin splints, I have a plethora of exercises....this one helped the most):

Find a flat wall without anything in front of it. Stand about 1 1/2 - 2 feet away from the wall (this depends on your height, you'll want to be at about a 45 degree angle) and lean your head towards the wall. You'll want to place your arms under your head for this.

Slowly lift yourself up onto your toes, using your arms strictly to help balance. Hold for a count of 10, then slowly drop back onto flat feet. Do this 10 times, then rest and ice.

Another variation on this is on a staircase:

Stand with the toes and half the ball of your foot on the steps, and slowly lower your heels until you can't go any further; hold for a count of 5, come back up to flat, and then up to tippy toes; hold for a count of 5. Do this 5 times, then ice and rest.

**If ice hurts, try heat. Sometimes shin splints respond better to a hot compress rather than an ice pack.
  • jjs22
    jjs22 Posts: 156
    Options
    I feel you pain. Or something similar.

I was walking (and loving it) and just wanted to up the cardio by mixing in a little bit of running. Gave me horrible calf pain, which I'm thinking is a stress fracture. For now I'm back to walking only for a few months.

Does your job specifically require running for the PT ? Is there a deadline ? If not, it might be a good idea to do something gentler (swimming, bicycling) and letting the pain go away completely. Then start to introduce running really, really slowly. Like jogging in place on grass for 3 minutes twice a week. Then only increase a tiny bit at a time.

It sounds horribly pointless, but if a tiny workout causes *any* damage, you will feel it within a day or two and your body has time to repair. If you do a longer workout, a lot more damage will be done and your chances of repairing it are nil.

It's tough on the ego to take such baby steps. I was a runner in high school, and I was/am excited about getting back into it. But slow, humble progress is faster than "pushing through the pain" most of the time.
  • ljloran
    Options
    Thank you all for the suggestive tips. Thinking maybe I got the wrong shoes, I tried explaining my problem but it was a really young guy who had difficulty answering my questions like how should a properly fitted shoe feel on my foot. He was only concerned about bring out stability shoes for mild pronation and that it was 'comfortable'. What is comfortable? There were 2 totally different fitting shoes that were comfortable. One felt like it was hugging my foot all the way around with an arch and the other barely felt like it was there, minimal arch. I ended up choosing the latter cause I was more stable when standing on only one foot. Hey I'm new at this and was doing what was suggested by the sales person. I've only had them for at least a few weeks, but only just started running again.

I'll definately try doing more stretches, get gel inserts (cause all I could think of was I need more cushion) and remember to ice more.
  • ljloran
    Options
    The pain I have is located at the bottom of my calf muscle (tendons?) and wraps/radiates around to the front interior side of my shin bone. Not regular shin splints, that muscle feels fine.

I did see a doctor on Wed. and she only suggested ibuprofen, ice, and stretching...and on the side suggested I could go to a local SOS (free) clinic. Hmmm? Don't know now if it was a general suggestion because I don't have health insurance or if she meant for my legs.
  • ljloran
    Options
    I feel you pain. Or something similar.

I was walking (and loving it) and just wanted to up the cardio by mixing in a little bit of running. Gave me horrible calf pain, which I'm thinking is a stress fracture. For now I'm back to walking only for a few months.

Does your job specifically require running for the PT ? Is there a deadline ? If not, it might be a good idea to do something gentler (swimming, bicycling) and letting the pain go away completely. Then start to introduce running really, really slowly. Like jogging in place on grass for 3 minutes twice a week. Then only increase a tiny bit at a time.

It sounds horribly pointless, but if a tiny workout causes *any* damage, you will feel it within a day or two and your body has time to repair. If you do a longer workout, a lot more damage will be done and your chances of repairing it are nil.

It's tough on the ego to take such baby steps. I was a runner in high school, and I was/am excited about getting back into it. But slow, humble progress is faster than "pushing through the pain" most of the time.
  • ljloran
    Options
    Ha-Ha still trying to figure this forum stuff out.

Anyway I work armed security and it's a new job requirement and I'm only being told sometime in October. No specifics as to exact date yet only that it's 1.5 miles in 17.5 min and 19 pushups in 2 min. Ugg. I am 4o and have sat at a desk for the last 11 1/2 years doing this job and now they throw this at us.... but at least I still have a job, they could have made it a federal position instead of stay contracted, then I would have been screwed. Anyway if I can't do it, I have 90 days to retake. I may be able to get a doctors note to do lower standards, but I really don't want to if I can help it. I want to prove them all wrong.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,688 Member
    Options

Foam roll then. Look up SMR foam rolling on youtube.