what weight should i be

Options
ok i started out at 232 about 8 months ago . i am currently 167 . i am 27 and my height is 5'7 . i was wondering what is a healthy weight to be for me? i have look at my BMI and it says i need to be 130-155 to be the healthy range but when i look online at healthy height and weight charts it says i should be between 133-147 . Although i thought well i just want to weight 155 so know i just to know what the heck is supposed to be a healthy weight for me ? im pretty confused at this point .

Replies

• srandle175
    Options
    Great job on the weight loss!
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Try 160. Then if you still aren't happy try (slowly) for 150 and/or lower. Mini-goals can be really happy when you aren't sure.

And yeah, you are doing great so far!
  • gooberr4
    gooberr4 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I'm about 5'7"/5'8" and I'm currently 164. I feel pretty comfortable with the way I look but I think I'm going to lose around 10-15 more lbs. It's really up to you. BMI doesn't mean all that much. Go for how you feel.
  • CindiBryce
    Options
    ok i started out at 232 about 8 months ago . i am currently 167 . i am 27 and my height is 5'7 . i was wondering what is a healthy weight to be for me? i have look at my BMI and it says i need to be 130-155 to be the healthy range but when i look online at healthy height and weight charts it says i should be between 133-147 . Although i thought well i just want to weight 155 so know i just to know what the heck is supposed to be a healthy weight for me ? im pretty confused at this point .
    BMI between 18.5 and 25 is healthy, although some charts state 18 is considered healthy.
    155 at 5'7 will give you a normal BMI of 24.2.
    The lowest you could weigh at 5'7 and still be considered healthy is 118, or according to the charts that state a BMI of 18 is healthy, 115.
  • elizahbeth
    Options
    What's your frame size? mine is small so I can go to the bottom of the healthy range and its ok.

Its possible that you can really be anywhere in the range of either of those weights for your hieght. Its up to you on how you feel. If your energy etc is good and you have no health problems you can just go with what you want.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

It could be 130, it could be 160. Pay more attention to body fat % instead of BMI. If you get your BF% in the 20-27% range you so aim to be in the middle of that range say 24% and you would be considered healthy, no matter what the reading on the scale says.
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    A lot depends on your body shape, how you feel about the way you look. I am 5.6' and am aiming for around 160 -70 as I know I liked the way I looked at that size. Although that would not be my ideal weight according to the charts I will see how I feel when I get there.

You have done the most amazing job and I think it is up to you to judge how you feel and how you look. The charts are just a guideline, think about body builders they weigh a lot but are very fit. :wink:
  • kivrinangel
    Options
    Keep in mind that the BMI charts don't take muscle into consideration. You could be the perfect healthy weight and show that you're overweight on BMI charts. I would suggest setting an initial goal of the 155 and then reassess. In the meantime, if you see your doctor you can ask him/her what a good ultimate goal would be. Or if you want a strong ultimate goal to aim for now, aim for the middle of the chart. One the 130-155, dead middle would be 142.5. On the other one, it would be 140. Either way, you're well within the healthy range of both charts.
  • lynnylou72
    Options
    I'm 5ft 8in and at the moment weighing 12st 13lb which is the heaviest i have ever been. Ideally i want to get down to 146lbs or 10st 6lbs. the lighest i have been was 9st 12lb doing weight watchers 5yrs ago. I guess it also depends on your build too. I'd say go for what you are comfortable with. x
  • zohars
    Options
    I'm 5'3" and currently at 158. My doctor said she was happy with where I'm at now, so I've started to shift my focus to functional goals (more endurance / strength) rather than as much what the scale says. Based on how I feel now, I think I'd like to get down to 150. Not so much because I'm unhappy with my weight, but I want to work on my % body-fat and I don't think I will put on enough muscle to be lean at 158.

Great job on what you've accomplished!
  • channa007
    channa007 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    This site says 121-160 but specifies 142 as the average weight that other people your age/height/weight/gender would describe as their ideal weight.

http://www.halls.md/ideal-weight/body.htm
  • arlo1028
    arlo1028 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7 also, and weigh 153, but I'm not comfortable being at this weight lol so I can go as low as 128ish, depending how I look. As mentioned before mini goals are good. Go down until you feel your best, as long as it's not on the low side, you still want to look healthy (: and 20% BF is good, 18% is where athletes are "suppose" to be at, which I would not mind being there LOL
  • emy10284
    emy10284 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    What's your frame size? mine is small so I can go to the bottom of the healthy range and its ok.

Its possible that you can really be anywhere in the range of either of those weights for your hieght. Its up to you on how you feel. If your energy etc is good and you have no health problems you can just go with what you want.

see thats the other thing . how can u determine your build whats the difference between med. and large
  • emy10284
    emy10284 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    thank you everyone for the responses