Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Should fitnesspal know about my fast metabolism?

hfhptsnmpk
hfhptsnmpk Posts: 1 Member
I have fast metabolism. Should MyFitnessPal know about it? there should at least be an option to click to put in that I have fast metabolism.

MY REALL QUESTION IS, does it affect my calorie deficit?

Answers

• Adventurista
    Adventurista Posts: 1,357 Member
    Hi, welcome :)

Did you have a test for metabolism? How do you know it's fast? Curious.
  • trixsterjl31
    trixsterjl31 Posts: 55 Member
    edited September 8
    hfhptsnmpk wrote: »
    I have fast metabolism. Should MyFitnessPal know about it? there should at least be an option to click to put in that I have fast metabolism.

Your deficit is entirely about your resting metabolism. A rule of thumbs is weight x10 is your resting metabolism. 3500 calories plus or minus over time will gain or lose a lb. If you put in an accurate weight and age MFP will have your calories a bit below that and recommend -500 to 1000 calories for 1 to 2 lbs a week. There are rare cases where someone metabolism is extremely high or low for no known reason. The rest of us are mostly plus or minus 10 percent.

Also note: Hyperthyroidism (overactive thyroid) – the gland releases larger quantities of hormones than necessary and speeds the metabolism. The most common cause of this condition is Graves' disease. Some of the symptoms of hyperthyroidism include increased appetite, weight loss, nervousness and diarrhoea. If you dont know what you have a high metabolism and you really do you need to get check for thyroid issue. Same if you have an unexplained very low metabolism.
  • trixsterjl31
    trixsterjl31 Posts: 55 Member
    edited September 8
    didn't mean to post here. dont see delete.
  • Adventurista
    Adventurista Posts: 1,357 Member
    edited September 8
    @trixsterjl31
    Nods, no delete button but if you flag/report the post, there is an option to "delete my post" for the mods to remove it.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,688 Member
    edited September 8
    hfhptsnmpk wrote: »

MFP uses statistical averages to give a calorie goal. So yes, if your metabolism is faster than average, it will affect your calorie deficit: following MFP's goal will have you losing faster than the rate you selected.

Do you have any idea on how much faster? You can modify your calorie goal manually, or play around using a higher activity level as a way to make MFP give you a higher calorie goal more appropriate for your metabolism.

Personally, I know my metabolism (or at least Garmin's estimation of it) is a bit higher than average and that's what MFP uses to give me my calorie goal. So I've learnt to just aim a bit higher (100-150 kcal over my goal).