Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Waking up to 2900+ exercise calories?

For the last 2 days, MFP is giving me exercise calories when I didn’t earn them. Thousands of exercise calories earned when I wake up and only have 45 steps from a round trip to the bathroom back to bed. And then as the day goes on, I lose exercise calories from that huge total to a smaller number by bed. This is really bizarre. I’ve logged out of MFP and FitBit, rebooted my Fitbit, unsynced and resynced them. Nothing is fixing this weird glitch.

Best Answer

• durden
    durden Posts: 3,446 MFP Staff
    edited September 9 Answer ✓
    KNoceros wrote: »
    I started a thread about this earlier in the week, which has vanished.
    I believe MFP are blaming FitBit for the errors.

https://status.fitbit.com/incidents/D6j3uhKPGKKsJjNoxsp7

None of the posts have been removed, but I have been cleaning up/merging threads around this in hopes that discussion (and this information, which i've reposted numerous times) might be made quickly available to people.

Answers

• Irun4my4
    Irun4my4 Posts: 5 Member
    I am having the same issue for the same duration. Previous to that, it was slow to update exercise calories, or would sync my Fitbit and Garmin and wipe all calories from steps without regard to how many of the steps were from a Garmin activity. It’s maddening as I rely on this for medical purposes to hit my macros and calories every day.
  • Irun4my4
    Irun4my4 Posts: 5 Member
    y5c06ykbnzau.png
    Should not have 800+ calories for 8k steps PLUS the run. Nope.
  • htruan1963
    htruan1963 Posts: 1 Member
    I'm also seeing the same problem. Waking up with 800-1000 exercise in 1 minute!
    Initial screen showed 0. When I entered my first food item the exercise adjustment goes up to that high number.
  • KNoceros
    KNoceros Posts: 326 Member

I tried to report it to the Support people here too but just got an automated response telling me how to cancel my premium membership (which I don’t have).

Not confident this will resolve. In the meantime I’m left trying to guess at lunchtime what my day-end energy expenditure is likely to be. I mean, I can log food in Fitbit and do that. The ONLY reason for still being on MFP is that it shows an estimated full day output rather than “current” output.
  • Chihuahua_Momma_
    Chihuahua_Momma_ Posts: 6 Member
    edited September 7
    57ix1va5hbaz.png

This doesn’t make sense. I’ve walked barely any steps.
  • aboutthatstory
    aboutthatstory Posts: 3 Member
    This is happening to me as well, it started on September 1. Oddly enough, when I look at the previous day, it shows the correct number that I burned.
  • longblondie2004
    longblondie2004 Posts: 26 Member
    Same thing here. It just started a few days ago. Wake up and have over 600 exercise calories. Wish this would get resolved. Glad to know I’m not alone. This is super frustrating
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,130 Member
    Same here. The number of exercise calories starts super high and decreases throughout the day. It seems correct by the end of the day. It’s very frustrating.
  • andiedmonds
    andiedmonds Posts: 8 Member
    I'm having the same issue. Glad I'm not the only one. I just haven't had time to figure it out. Are they trying to push us to get more exercise or is it an actual bug? Either way, it would be nice to let us know.
  • This is throwing me off, too. It's like it's predicting my exercise calories for the day. What's messing me up is that I use my *current* exercise calories to help me modify my l unch to provide enough margin for dinner while staying within my goal. I sit at a desk at work most of the afternoon so this number keeps drastically changing with this predictive method. It really messing up my planning and I'm finding I end up way over my goal. Very not cool or helpful.
  • Chihuahua_Momma_
    Chihuahua_Momma_ Posts: 6 Member
    I paid for premium MFP and with all the problems I’m not sure I’m going to renew my membership. Between losing the newsfeed and now this problem? Is MFP actively trying to lose paid subscriptions? One would think from a business perspective they would do everything in their power to make their members happy so their profits grow.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,110 Member
    I’m having the same problem for the last few days. I woke up today with 2000 exercise calories before even starting my day. I’ve disconnected the apps and reconnected without any improvement. I don’t think it’s Fitbit at all because the numbers don’t even match my total calories burned on Fitbit
  • khe4075
    khe4075 Posts: 1 Member
    I am having the same issue. One morning it started added a huge amount to my calories. The change is making the app useless for me. Definitely no plan to renew. Pissed off that it broke shortly after I paid an annual fee.
  • fr6915
    fr6915 Posts: 1 Member
    Assuming MFP is working on this, would like to get an official statement. Or should we all contact their support?
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,690 Member
    fr6915 wrote: »
    Assuming MFP is working on this, would like to get an official statement. Or should we all contact their support?

They know about the issue:

https://support.myfitnesspal.com/hc/en-us/articles/360032625231-Known-Issues-Integration-Partners
  • KNoceros wrote: »

I tried to report it to the Support people here too but just got an automated response telling me how to cancel my premium membership (which I don’t have).

Not confident this will resolve. In the meantime I’m left trying to guess at lunchtime what my day-end energy expenditure is likely to be. I mean, I can log food in Fitbit and do that. The ONLY reason for still being on MFP is that it shows an estimated full day output rather than “current” output.

In fairness, Fitbit is also blaming Fitbit for the issue and it's not just MFP showing stuff like this lately. I'm really starting to wonder if we're about to see a few more headstones in the Google Graveyard over the next year with the way Fitbit's been declining lately.
  • heatherrose68
    heatherrose68 Posts: 2 Member
    Same issue as stated above by many. Hoping someone resolves this soon!
  • Kelstarr84
    Kelstarr84 Posts: 21 Member
    Exactly the same issue for me too. Really frustrating as I can't really log exercise etc as it is adding on extra calories. Stopped tracking now until this is sorted by either fitbit or mfp. Funnily enough previous to this issue I had an issue for about 3 weeks where my exercise calories weren't being logged at all so had the absolute opposite problem. What is going on.
  • aboutthatstory
    aboutthatstory Posts: 3 Member
    I woke up to 808 calories burned this morning. So I made a misc. calorie entry for 800 and put it under evening to subtract it from my remaining calories total. It's not perfect but for now, it will have to do because knowing how much I have left to eat is important. I really hope this gets worked out. 🤞