New & self motivation required

Options
Hi all,
My daughter belongs to this site and recommended that I join it.
I have never dieted and can't take all this weighing of portions etc... :noway:
I eat when I am hungry and have what ever I fancy at the time (no junk food) and am reasonably active doing walking, gardening, looking after the grandchild (loads of exercise there) not to mention housework and all the calories u supposed to burn, I never seem to find the burnt ones..lol
I gave up smoking 9 months ago and can't believe how the flab piled on. Tried the gym's excercise classes 4 days a week but found the regime too much (can't jump around like a sprig chicken anymore) :laugh: so decided to leave the gym to the young ones and do more gentle exercises at home but the motivation just eludes me .:wink:
I have never blogged so hope this is OK

Replies

• gre8jok
    gre8jok Posts: 3
    Options
    Hi all,
    My daughter belongs to this site and recommended that I join it.
    I have never dieted and can't take all this weighing of portions etc... :noway:
    I eat when I am hungry and have what ever I fancy at the time (no junk food) and am reasonably active doing walking, gardening, looking after the grandchild (loads of exercise there) not to mention housework and all the calories u supposed to burn, I never seem to find the burnt ones..lol
    I gave up smoking 9 months ago and can't believe how the flab piled on. Tried the gym's excercise classes 4 days a week but found the regime too much (can't jump around like a sprig chicken anymore) :laugh: so decided to leave the gym to the young ones and do more gentle exercises at home but the motivation just eludes me .:wink:
    I have never blogged so hope this is OK
  • algiampolo
    Options
    Congrats on quitting smoking!! Besides joining this website...thats the best thing I ever did for myself! I'm 8 years smoke free!
  • gre8jok
    gre8jok Posts: 3
    Options
    Tks abjornsen, I am sure I can stick to the smokefree better than losing the flab:wink:
  • sparrowlittle
    Options
    Hi,

I am new here too and find motivation is hiding from me really really well. Over the past few years my eating habits have taken a huge dive and now the weight is jumping on to me. I'm finding that going back to eating healthier is a lot easier than making myself exercise. However, I have been in this position before and I found that what worked for me was teency weency baby steps. I set myself small goals like 10 squats a day, stretching to *try* and touch my toes ten times each day, or walking up and down the stairs five times. I found that even though it didn't seem like much it started making a difference physically and mentally - and then I was more motivated to up the challenges and do more demanding exercises.

This time around I have set myself the goal of 25 squats each morning (and maybe before bed too). Once I find that I am doing this without huffing and puffing I will add something else until I have a full workout that I enjoy.

Also Leslie Sansone's walking videos are fantastic so I will soon be attempting them again too.
  • Blue50
    Blue50 Posts: 11
    Options
    Its not a diet.
    Start slow no rush.
    Just log your calories everyday.
    It will get easier as you go and you will get a true picture of your intake, It maybe significantly higher than you thought it was.
    Congrats on your smoke free!
    And good luck!
  • plantlady99
    plantlady99 Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    Welcome:flowerforyou: to this site. Motivation, Motivation, Motivation, this site has. I'm sure that is what you daughter said. Glad you joined:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Kathy
  • bluebell81
    Options
    hi all! I only want to lose about 10 pounds, which I know I shouldn't complain about, but I've have been eating right and exercising 5 times a week and I have yet to lose a pound! I'm coming up on my fourth week! Any advice? I'm only eating about 1200 calories a day. Help!!
  • MOMOFTWO29
    MOMOFTWO29 Posts: 8,276 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome to MFP. I just know you will love this site if you don't already, I love it here. It is so motivational, supportive, helpful, and everyone here is so nice, and friendly. I just wanted to tell you good luck on your weight loss journey. You can do this. :smile: :flowerforyou: :smile: :flowerforyou: