stress eating

Options
freed
freed Posts: 6 Member
4 weeks ago my husband was diagnosed with cancer and I am coping with food especially sweets. I stopped recording until myfitnesspal sent me a message which is helping me think about what I am doing. So, thanks for the reminder wherever they come from. The 30 lbs I need to lose don't seem as important as they did but I know I will be healthier without them and I need all the health and energy I can get as we fight this battle.

Replies

• freed
    Options
    4 weeks ago my husband was diagnosed with cancer and I am coping with food especially sweets. I stopped recording until myfitnesspal sent me a message which is helping me think about what I am doing. So, thanks for the reminder wherever they come from. The 30 lbs I need to lose don't seem as important as they did but I know I will be healthier without them and I need all the health and energy I can get as we fight this battle.
  • July
    July Posts: 239
    Options
    Wow. I can't imagine how difficult that must be.
    During stressful and sad times, I have to find different methods of coping that don't involve bread and chocolate cake. Here's my solutions. I hope they help!

1. Change the foods. I eat cherry tomatoes because they're so low in calorie and require no preparation. And you can eat a ton of them. Also, celery sticks. If it's got to be sweet, fruit like pineapple (if canned, in its own juice, not syrup) or strawberries, apples, and kiwis though they're higher in calories. Gum is also great. Tea and vegetable boulillion cubes (only 5 calories per 1-1.5 cups!) are comforting. Feel proud of yourself whenever you eat healthy foods - I keep a daily list to look at.

2. Long, hot showers. Really hot.

3. Exercise. I never believed it either - it seemed one more thing to stress about - but at the end, I'm so proud of myself. Especially if I have something that tells me how many miles I've walked or how many calories I've burned.

4. Sleep. When you're stressed, you don't sleep enough, and you tend to eat sugar and caffeine foods to keep you awake. Sleep is calorie-free!

5. Shopping. Buying a little something, especially as a reward, like a pair of earrings or a book, makes me feel better. Also buying gifts for others or sending emails to loved ones.

Best of luck!
  • Blue50
    Blue50 Posts: 11
    Options
    Best of Luck for your Husband. I know the two of you can get it done!

Calorie Free sleep! What a concept. You mind if I use that LOL
  • iftcheiaf
    iftcheiaf Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    So sorry to hear about the stress you're going through for you and your hubby. I know when my dad was diagnosed with cancer, one of the biggest things that helped him to live a productive life was changing his diet drastically to live a healthier, cleaner life. So as you and your husband prepare for this scary battle, maybe you can both continue to look into incorporating healthier lifestyle together to maximize his energy and yours. :flowerforyou:
  • sparrowlittle
    Options
    Try to remember that every time you eat the sweets you are giving yourself one more thing to worry and feel bad about. Frozen grapes or peas are supposed to be really good substitutes for sweets but can't say that I have tried this. I chew gum or walk. Walking is a great stress reliever even if you are just marching on the spot. Think to yourself that you can replace the snacking with a new habit that will make you feel better about yourself instead of adding more self guilt to the situation.

Best wishes to you both xxx
  • bluebell81
    Options
    So sorry to hear about your husband. Anything that you can eat and not worry about is good. I love blueberries when I want something sweet, or extra sharp cheese, you only need a little because the flavor is so strong. Keep posting how you're doing.

"We're all in this together".-Ben Lee
  • tennetubbie
    tennetubbie Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry to hear about your husband. My mom is still going after Stage 2 colon cancer 14 years ago!! So I DO hope your husband fairs well through this! and I second the GET OUT AND EXERCISE and give yourself one less thing to feel bad about!

Keep us posted!:flowerforyou:

123504.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • freed
    Options
    Thanks for all of the encouragement! I froze some grapes, have walked everyday, bought a pineapple,
    gave away the chocolate and am recording again. We live outside the US so will be traveling back for my husbands surgery next week.
  • freed
    Options
    When we get back to the States, I'll buy some blueberries and sharp cheese. They both sound like treats
    since we can't get them where we live.