Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Patience is indeed a virtue.

rtlenton
rtlenton Posts: 41 Member
edited August 23 in Success Stories
Just thought I’d quickly share the experience I’ve had this year as after 58 years, I’m finally doing things right.

Back in January, after losing about 10 lbs in the previous two months, I hit a snag in that my scale wasn’t moving. I had been losing over a pound a week and then nothing; my plateau had lasted over a month. Out of frustration, I tried everything from a radical caloric deficit of 900 - 1100 calories a day, to increasing my minimum daily step count to 12000. That’s on top of working out 5 times a week and rarely touching alcohol. No matter what I did, the scale was stuck at 175 lbs.

Thankfully, I received some great support and advice on MFP. Now, I’m at 166 lbs and the scale is still moving south. That’s the lightest I’ve been since I played football in high school some 40 years ago!

In short, the advice that I was given was something I already knew. That is, Calories In Calories Out (CiCo), with a bit of patience, is the most important part of weight loss. Frankly, it was just my impatience that was tripping me up. I simply didn’t realize that my body was just adjusting to the weight I had already loss and needed time before it would start shedding fat again.

So, after listening to folks on here, I did 4 valuable things that have me in the best shape of my adult life. They were:

1. Re-evaluated my TDEE to come up with a healthy daily calorie maintenance requirement and then reduced it by 500 to give me a reasonable caloric deficit.
2. Embraced consistency; regardless of whether I’m at home or a restaurant, I never go over my daily calorie limit.
3. Introduced low fat, low carb whey protein shakes which I drink throughout the day to guard against the loss of lean muscle mass.
4. Simply accepted that losing the last of my weight was going to be a lifestyle choice and would take a very long time.

Fast forward 8 months and everything is paying off. When I first adjusted my calories, I was at a comfortable 1850 a day and the scale still didn’t move. So, after 4 weeks, I went to 1800 and had a sold 4 weeks of small, but steady losses. After another prolonged plateau, I shaved 50 calories off and the scale started moving again. Then another long plateau and I adjusted my intake to 1700, which is where I am today. At this point, I cannot foresee needing to shave more calories off.

The last 8 months have taken a ton of patience, but it’s been worth it. The scale will still refuse to budge, sometimes for weeks, and then boom, a 1 or 1.5 lbs loss. I have simply become confident that I am doing everything correctly and that even if the scale seems frozen in time, it will eventually move. I have also come to realize that at 58, 5’6” and 166 lbs with lots of muscle, I’m already in very good shape. Soon, the scale will find its home and there will be no more losses, and I’m ready for that.

The bottom-line, at least for me, is that as long as I eat right, remain active, and stick to CiCo like a religion, I will eventually be at the “perfect” weight for me. What’s the perfect weight? I’ve decided to let my body dictate that.

Replies

• A_New_Creation
    A_New_Creation Posts: 180 Member
    rtlenton wrote: »
    Just thought I’d quickly share the experience I’ve had this year as after 58 years, I’m finally doing things right.

Back in January, after losing about 10 lbs in the previous two months, I hit a snag in that my scale wasn’t moving. I had been losing over a pound a week and then nothing; my plateau had lasted over a month. Out of frustration, I tried everything from a radical caloric deficit of 900 - 1100 calories a day, to increasing my minimum daily step count to 12000. That’s on top of working out 5 times a week and rarely touching alcohol. No matter what I did, the scale was stuck at 175 lbs.

Thankfully, I received some great support and advice on MFP. Now, I’m at 166 lbs and the scale is still moving south. That’s the lightest I’ve been since I played football in high school some 40 years ago!

In short, the advice that I was given was something I already knew. That is, Calories In Calories Out (CiCo), with a bit of patience, is the most important part of weight loss. Frankly, it was just my impatience that was tripping me up. I simply didn’t realize that my body was just adjusting to the weight I had already loss and needed time before it would start shedding fat again.

So, after listening to folks on here, I did 4 valuable things that have me in the best shape of my adult life. They were:

1. Re-evaluated my TDEE to come up with a healthy daily calorie maintenance requirement and then reduced it by 500 to give me a reasonable caloric deficit.
    2. Embraced consistency; regardless of whether I’m at home or a restaurant, I never go over my daily calorie limit.
    3. Introduced low fat, low carb whey protein shakes which I drink throughout the day to guard against the loss of lean muscle mass.
    4. Simply accepted that losing the last of my weight was going to be a lifestyle choice and would take a very long time.

Fast forward 8 months and everything is paying off. When I first adjusted my calories, I was at a comfortable 1850 a day and the scale still didn’t move. So, after 4 weeks, I went to 1800 and had a sold 4 weeks of small, but steady losses. After another prolonged plateau, I shaved 50 calories off and the scale started moving again. Then another long plateau and I adjusted my intake to 1700, which is where I am today. At this point, I cannot foresee needing to shave more calories off.

The last 8 months have taken a ton of patience, but it’s been worth it. The scale will still refuse to budge, sometimes for weeks, and then boom, a 1 or 1.5 lbs loss. I have simply become confident that I am doing everything correctly and that even if the scale seems frozen in time, it will eventually move. I have also come to realize that at 58, 5’6” and 166 lbs with lots of muscle, I’m already in very good shape. Soon, the scale will find its home and there will be no more losses, and I’m ready for that.

The bottom-line, at least for me, is that as long as I eat right, remain active, and stick to CiCo like a religion, I will eventually be at the “perfect” weight for me. What’s the perfect weight? I’ve decided to let my body dictate that.

It's so refreshing to hear someone express this type of satisfaction and growth. Happy for you <3
    What calculator did you use to calculate TDEE?
  • AdahPotatah2024
    AdahPotatah2024 Posts: 1,893 Member
    "What’s the perfect weight? I’ve decided to let my body dictate that."
    💕 Yes! Focus on health and happiness and the rest will follow..my philosophy.
  • noogie98
    noogie98 Posts: 443 Member
    edited September 7

I love this! So much so, that I have saved this page on my home screen MFP folder on my phone. Whenever I get frustrated on my journey to healthy, I pull it up and re-read it.
    I was diagnosed almost a year ago with generalized Myasthenia Gravis, a rare and frustrating autoimmune neuromuscular disorder, and my weight loss is pretty much at a standstill. I have actually gained since my diagnosis due to the high doses of prednisone I have been on the past year, but I have finally been able to start weaning off it, and once I am done with them, hopefully I will get back to seeing a loss on my scales!
    Thank you so much @rtlenton for your inspiring words! <3
    And, the fact that you posted this on my husband's birthday is almost like a sign!! 😃
  • LoganBennett715
    LoganBennett715 Posts: 29 Member

Congratulations on your amazing progress and dedication! Your journey is a powerful reminder that patience, persistence, and sticking to the basics really do pay off. It’s inspiring to see you stick to a healthy lifestyle even when times get tough. Your story is sure to inspire others to keep going.
  • rtlenton
    [/quote]
    Thank you so much @rtlenton for your inspiring words! [/quote]

Cheers! So happy liked the post.

Roger
  • rtlenton
    [/quote]

It's so refreshing to hear someone express this type of satisfaction and growth. Happy for you <3
    What calculator did you use to calculate TDEE?[/quote] Thank you so much. As for the TDEE calculator, I actually just plugged my numbers into three free online calculators I found with Google and then worked with the average.

• rtlenton
    dcallis2 wrote: »
    Great observations, very uplifting, thank you.

Cheers!

• LoganBennett715
    Patience and perseverance are the keys to staying healthy. If you don’t have enough patience to control your food while eating your favorite dishes, you can’t live a healthy life.
  • serbob
    serbob Posts: 2 Member
    For me, relying on the scales for approval is dangerous. If I'm working on muscle tone the scales start going up and mess with my head. I have stopped looking at weight and focus on what size clothes I can wear and how comfortable they feel. I've been at the point where I checked in daily and immediately changed what I ate and how often I exercised the days the scale was "stuck". It's not healthy. It's difficult, but I got past that.
  • LoganBennett715
    Yes, we all have that phase of our life. We can either give up or take some initiative to improvise the same.
  • KarinSanden
    KarinSanden Posts: 35 Member
    Great to read all your advices and congratulations to your weight loss!!

I wonder if you during this time used a measuring band to see progress there. Because if you a re training a lot you could maintain the weight but loose in measures because of muscles?
  • Corina1143
    Corina1143 Posts: 3,452 Member
    I needed this so much!
    Thank you!
  • xbowhunter
    xbowhunter Posts: 1,048 Member
    Congratulations on finding the magical solution that so many seek.

In this instant gratification world, we all need to learn to have more patience and to learn to work hard for the goals we want to achieve.

Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!