So disappointed in MFP lately :-(

I long for the days of the blog and the news feed. I am paying for premium but thinking of bailing after all these years. First the removal of my blog, now no news feed is finally catching up with me. What are everyone's thoughts about what is next to go? Does anyone else feel like the site is trying to phase out? I do like that my history on eating is still here since I refer back to my successes so often for motivation. What are the feelings of the rest of you all out there? I am curious.

Replies

• pony4us
    pony4us Posts: 161 Member
    I just use it to log. Never looked at the newsfeed, happy to get rid of that clutter, I journal (old school) most days and have for years so don't need a blog. Like it paired down to the basics the way it was in the beginning. I'm maintaining so my healthy life is all the motivation I need. Never paid for premium, just needed what is basically on online calorie counting book...as I said I'm old school.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 18,047 Member
    I have been on MFP for 10 years on and off now, and they have taken away more than they have added.

Same old cluttered food database, no newsfeed, no blogs, moving the barcode scanner to paid. I can't remember the last feature they actually added.
  • herblovinmom
    herblovinmom Posts: 400 Member
    The removal of the newsfeed definitely effected me negatively for a good minute or so.. I have grieved and come to realize I’m here for me. I’m only letting myself down when I don’t log in or track my food. It’s not about others or my fitness pals. I’ve got to be committed to myself regardless of what app I use or who comes and goes. I do often miss some of my “pals” and I’ll go and check my friends list and see they’re all still logging on and most likely still kicking a** just like before the removal of our precious newsfeed. Some of us even keep in touch thru private messages. But it’s not the same. It will never be what it was. Just make the best of it and use the app for what you can get out of it. Remember why you started and maybe you’ll find your motivation again.. hugs..
  • micwrites
    micwrites Posts: 123 Member
    I miss the newsfeed and all the friends I built up over the years. I liked seeing their comments and milestones. It’s pretty blah now.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,784 Member
    I don't miss the newsfeed, and only miss the blogs because there were a couple of people who had really good posts there that I liked to refer people to (or re-read myself). For me, the Community side of MFP has been more helpful and engaging, by far.

I thought the blog feature was very poorly imprirlemented: Almost impossible to find things, nearly hidden away entirely.

I tried using the newsfeed at first, but came to find it very unsatisfying: Full of autoposts about completed diaries and exercise sessions, people who just like-clicked everything, cute gym selfies from a segment of the population (OK content, but not my jam), various rote "great workout" or "tasty day" kinds of replies. I felt like I had to scroll and scroll to see any substantial posts or substantial replies. Even after I stopped using it much myself, for a while I did scroll to find actual questions or posts with content I could react to, but it felt tedious. On top of that, most people didn't last long, which. was discouraging.

It seems like there's a decent chance MFP will eventually wither away and fail, but I don't know when.

In general, software that arrives on the scene as a decent product gets harder and harder to expand and update, and accumulates more bugs. It also gets harder and more costly to make the next improvements (or find/fix bugs). It takes massive investment to re-architect the product and temporarily reduce those "fix the dinosaur" issues . . . it's basically a "rebuild a jet plane in mid-flight" kind of proposition. Therefore, most software products eventually fall under their own weight at some point. Not all, but most.

• Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,182 Member
    I didn't realize the newsfeed was gone until I started looking for it. I miss it....I feel like I lost a lot of friends. I got the free trial but am not sure now if I will get the paid subscription.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 18,047 Member
    I didn't realize the newsfeed was gone until I started looking for it. I miss it....I feel like I lost a lot of friends. I got the free trial but am not sure now if I will get the paid subscription.

Really consider what paid features are worth it for you. I've always just used the free version and it does everything I need it to.
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,324 Member
    edited September 11
    I really miss the blog. I used it to outline my goals and progress etc on it. It would be nice to be able to keep track with friends on the feed but I have too many friends and it was hard to keep up with. So I am using MFP for logging food, exercise and am active on a few threads for support. I hope that doesn't go away. I am suspicions of those who want you to pay for weight loss efforts. I wish they would take away men or not real people requests to be friends. I have gotten requests from a lot of so called men all having the same photo but different names. I do have friends on here that are men that I got to know through Threads. I knew they were real and focused on fitness.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,784 Member
    KeriA wrote: »
    I really miss the blog. I used it to outline my goals and progress etc on it. It would be nice to be able to keep track with friends on the feed but I have too many friends and it was hard to keep up with. So I am using MFP for logging food, exercise and am active on a few threads for support. I hope that doesn't go away. I am suspicions of those who want you to pay for weight loss efforts. I wish they would take away men or not real people requests to be friends. I have gotten requests from a lot of so called men all having the same photo but different names. I do have friends on here that are men that I got to know through Threads. I knew they were real and focused on fitness.

Always, always report the bad guy IDs. MFP staff in my experience will investigate and shut down bad actors. Each of us can help other women avoid being harassed if we report them.
  • catevis
    catevis Posts: 15 Member
    Good to know, I wasn’t missing something, lol. I’ve returned after a long hiatus and wondered where the newsfeed went.
    It was nice to see my pals accomplishments but I’m here for myself, and I love the database. Others are clunky compared to this I have found.
  • YvetteK2015
    YvetteK2015 Posts: 654 Member
    I also just came back to the forums after a long time. i was looking for the newsfeed and wondered what happened to it. Good to know.
  • dannytrees1
    dannytrees1 Posts: 292 Member
    Me too, I miss that news feed.
    I believe it helped many of us.
    Bring it back mfp😁👍💪🌴🌴
  • csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,187 Member
    I like it better without the newsfeed because I like the forums but never do "friends."
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,654 Member
    They should change the name and remove “PALS”. 😢