Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Need more protein in my diet!

I'm just looking at my diet, and I'm eating too much processed meats and not enough healthy low fat proteins. I eat eggs quite often, but how can I get more lean meats and low fat protein? I'm making orange chicken for supper tonight, and a pot of chile on the weekend with extra lean ground beef. This is a good start for me!

Replies

• chriscunningham87
    chriscunningham87 Posts: 1 Member
    With the eggs assuming you’re having them for breakfast and/or lunch, take a look at having them with avocado, turkey rashers or bacon medallions. Extra protein, low in cals and fat so you can have any combination!
  • KarinSanden
    KarinSanden Posts: 35 Member
    Eggs are not very high in protein unfortunately. I also struggle to get my 120 grams of daily protein, but I have found some good sources.

- Egg whites on bottle
    - Chicken breast filé
    - Codd
    - Shrimps

But most important - Casein

Casein is a protein powder with a lot of great flavors that can be added to almost anything. It also makes you full. I found some great recipes for you: https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/collection/high-protein-recipes

• MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,945 Member
    Protein powders and shakes come in many varieties and are a great way to add protein to your diet.

I like to add a vanilla protein shake to my morning coffee.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,097 Member
    Eggs are not very high in protein unfortunately. I also struggle to get my 120 grams of daily protein, but I have found some good sources.

- Egg whites on bottle
    - Chicken breast filé
    - Codd
    - Shrimps

But most important - Casein

Casein is a protein powder with a lot of great flavors that can be added to almost anything. It also makes you full. I found some great recipes for you: https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/collection/high-protein-recipes

Ma'am, I kindly disagree with about eggs not being a good source of protein. Yes, they have some fat, but if op like eggs, maybe substitute on a 1:1 basis. Keeps some of the vitamins and yolky goodness. Casein is not the worst, but not the most important. Hitting target protein throughout the day if king IMHO. If Op is concerned with casein, I would suggest getting more dairy, such as cottage cheese and Greek yogurt. Whole dairy is a mix of both of my aging memory is correct. Best wishes to you and op.
    Dalon
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 10,774 Member
    Questions like yours are precisely why this thread was put together:

carbs-and-fats-are-cheap-heres-a-guide-to-getting-your-proteins-worth-fiber-also
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,072 Member
    With the eggs assuming you’re having them for breakfast and/or lunch, take a look at having them with avocado, turkey rashers or bacon medallions. Extra protein, low in cals and fat so you can have any combination!

Not a lot of protein in avocados.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,122 Member

Not exactly low in fat either.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,072 Member

Or calories! I like avocados and consider them a tasty, creamy, nutritious indulgence for their healthy fat, fiber, potassium, etc., but never thought of them as "extra protein, low in cals and fat" as PP said.
  • SurferGirl1982
    SurferGirl1982 Posts: 178 Member
    I eat Fage plain Greek yogurt. A 5.3 oz container has 16 grams of protein. I know plain yogurt is tart. But, either the Fage isn't as tart or I gotten used to it. Sometimes I add 70 grams of frozen blueberries (slightly defrosted in the microwave) and 14 grams of finely diced walnuts.

I've recently switched to 0% because I eat a lot of healthy fat. For instance with the yogurt I'll have some martini olives and sweet cherries or red grapes. Or some avocado drizzled with EVOO and a little Kosher salt. Or walnuts as I mentioned above.

Salmon is very high in protein. Costco has wild-caught Alaskan Sockeye salmon in 6 oz portions. Chicken and other fish are high in protein and low in calories. Cod, sole and rockfish are very mild. I also eat eggs. They have a lot of nutrients besides protein.

Natural peanut butter contains protein and healthy fats. I buy Adam's crunchy that you have to stir. Having to stir is a bit of a hassle, but it only contains peanuts and salt.

If you don't like yogurt, cottage cheese is also high in protein.

There are also veggie proteins. Beans and peas have a lot of protein and fiber.

Just some ideas 🙃
  • jess2023mac
    jess2023mac Posts: 41 Member
    I indulged and bought a salmon fillet last week. My protein amount soared. I'll sometimes just dump a can of tuna on my veggie salad. I love plain baked chicken breast with hummus, along with fresh sliced veggies for a meal. I don't cook much but do try to get enough protein in every day.
    For the eggs you could use 1 whole egg and a couple whites, to up the protein and cut down the fat/calories a bit.
  • Hobartlemagne
    Hobartlemagne Posts: 491 Member
    Pork shoulder has a good amount of protein. Stay away from Bacon (fat) and Ham (nitrates)
  • cyncm
    cyncm Posts: 36 Member
    Yves Veggie Dogs are a convenient protein snack
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,122 Member

Or calories! I like avocados and consider them a tasty, creamy, nutritious indulgence for their healthy fat, fiber, potassium, etc., but never thought of them as "extra protein, low in cals and fat" as PP said.

Avocados are a staple in my diet considering there's very few carbs and I'm keto/low carb. For the fiber fanatics avocado have lots as well.
  • stianjl
    stianjl Posts: 15 Member
    Eggs, Cottage cheese, Any kind of low fat meats. Just to name some.