Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Cooking off a sauce

I cooked up meals and was trying to figure out how to log them. Part of one of them is to use a base of soy and oyster sauce. You then cook off most of the liquid. I went to make the recipe in the log and it was like 4000 sodium per serving. LOL. How much of that do you think gets cooked off is you cook it until it the liquid is gone and then add back water and a splash of each?

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,283 Member
    You probably made a logging error, like using 100ml instead of dividing the recipe.

I use soy sauce and other bottled sauces like oyster sauce. You wouldn't be able to eat it if it was really 4000 - it would be too salty.

Fix the recipe or just log a one-portion serving size off the bottles for each serving of your recipe.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 18,013 Member
    Salt doesn't cook off, only the water. The salt will dehydrate and stay in the dish and rehydrate when you add water.

However, I agree with the above that there's likely to be an error in the entry, because that a heck of a lot of sodium.
  • trixsterjl31
    trixsterjl31 Posts: 55 Member
    edited September 10
    You are both correct. I serving of ss is a TS. I'm using way more than that but the whole bottle is like 20 ounces so i'm not using 2 cups either. It is the base of the sauce but i'll measure it on next cook and sub for half the sauce i used. Salt not cooking off is valid. I should have thought of that. Looking it up though, Kikoman ss has 1000 mg per table spoon.
    I've dont 6 cooks though with the same bottle and it isn't empty. So i'm not using as much as I thought. Most of the liquid is coming from water cooking off the meat.
  • trixsterjl31
    edited September 11
    This is still making me laugh. I'm glad i'm logging stuff and thinking about it. I now know that i need to cut back on soy sauce and add water to replace it. My girlfriend is helping me learn some recopies over video. She is "you didn't tell me it was salty". Well hell You told me to submerge THE pork in soy sauce.... lol.
  • cmriverside
    LOL, good rule of thumb with bottled sauces is to look at the regular serving size on the bottle and don't use more than one serving per portion on the recipe. With soy sauce and other bottled stir-fry sauces, a little goes a very long way. With Kikkoman I usually use about a half serving per portion.
  • p8m6bwghh9
    p8m6bwghh9 Posts: 49 Member
    I got Kikkoman low sodium soy sauce which has 590mg per T. I figure little changes that I can continue long term help me the most.
  • trixsterjl31
    edited September 12
    When i got home yesterday I looked at the bottle. It has 3 or so ounces left and i've done about 6 cooks with the sauce so probably only using 2 ounces each time. Way less that i thought. So 5 to 6 servings 2000/5 is 400 mg of sodium a serving. That is way less then what i'm logging. The light soy will be fine and the dishes will be lower than a lot of prepped food i eat. I will definitely measure out all my ingredients next cook of each dish though to make a recipe instead of just being creative and tossing in what I think looks right.
  • cmriverside
    Just a little hack for the future, you can go online and look at product labels.

Just put "kikkoman soy nutrition label image" into Search.
  • cmriverside
    Warning, though. Some manufacturers change their portioning and/or recipes. Soy is a pretty safe bet, but maybe don't trust the Breyers Mint Chip ice cream. They change that kind of thing all the time and you might find an online label for 67g when you are eating from one with a 102g serving size. That's a biggie I've noticed.