Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

What should I do if I want to eat right but my parents make the meals?

They cook for 6 by the way

Answers

• AdahPotatah2024
    AdahPotatah2024 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Get a job and buy your own food!🤗 I started buying my own groceries at 15 and stopped living on breakfast bars, soda and stouffers frozen dinners.
  • Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,735 Member
    I think a lot depends how old you are, and how out of shape you are. If you're old enough to take responsibility for yourself with shopping and cooking, then do so. You can also share most meals and substitute as needed, e.g. if they're making something that's fried, you can bake yours. If they're making corn bread which is loaded in calories, you can microwave yourself a small baked potato. If they're loading cheese on to pasta, you can choose to not do that. And so on.

If you're very out of shape, speak to them about getting support to make positive changes, and take note of springlering's comments about being supportive and reasonable. If you're in shape already then don't make more work or expense for them. Maybe become more active instead, more sports, more walking, more gym, etc.
  • Corina1143
    Corina1143 Posts: 3,453 Member
    I agree with the above.
    My mom didn't work outside the home. (She worked hard at home.) There came a time when I wanted to learn to cook, to explore things my mom didn't cook. She was always very accepting of anything I wanted to try. Some good things came out of it, some mistakes, lots of learning.
    I remember sometimes trying just a main dish, sometimes a salad or side, and sometimes only a dessert. Of course mom appreciated it more when I made a whole meal, but that didn't always happen. She still was glad to try one of my new dishes.
    My brother did the same thing, and he was always a better cook than I was.
    Volunteer.
  • Yemelia3
    Yemelia3 Posts: 2 Member
    Hey there,
    I am also a parent, when my kid was 14, I taught them to cook for themselves and they enjoyed it. They also went food shopping with me. Unlike me, they have never developed unhealthy eating habits. I wish I’d had the conversation with my mum when I was younger about the way we were eating - she was usually about 18stone, always on a diet and loved to make us feel better with food, and it usually wasn’t the healthy kind, but she done her best.
    This is just my opinion, but my point is, we can pick up unhealthy eating habits early and as someone said above, we all have different ideas about what is healthy/unhealthy. I don’t know how old you are, but you could start by finding out what you can do for yourself, like learning to cook, eating smaller portions if that’s appropriate- cutting out unnecessary snacks, be more active etc. What are your body goals? Is there anyone you can discuss this with? Then go to your parents (if you feel appropriate) and have the conversation with them about how you feel and what you’d like to do about it. If there are 6 of you, taking some responsibility for your own actions initially, might be a big help.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 8,272 Member
    @Yemelia3 what a great comment from a new poster! I sincerely hope you’ll stick around the boards!
  • xrj22
    xrj22 Posts: 207 Member
    edited September 14
    You dont have to completely cook for yourself. Try just adding one fruit or veggie side dish that you prepare for yourself. A lettuce salad, or cut-up apple, or some steamed broccoli will add some nutrition and make it easier for you to take a smaller portion of the high-calorie main dish. Or if your mom tends to serve rice or potatoes, keep some riced cauliflowebthat you can make for yourself qiucky and substitute for these things.
  • Hobartlemagne
    Hobartlemagne Posts: 491 Member
    edited September 16
    Id say- start weighing those meals, and get an idea of exactly what you're eating.
    Ask for the recipes and enter them into MFP. If they're really patient with you, try to get them to measure the entire weight of a full recipe then you can divide by the portions. You'll know the right weight of one of their meals. Maybe your solution is as easy as eating 0.9 servings instead of 1.0.
    Or- Maybe turn 2 servings into 3 and if its too small, add a piece of fruit or something sensible that wont overdo the calorie total.
  • stianjl
    stianjl Posts: 15 Member
    Tell them what you want and need, and your goal. So they know. Also, depending on your goal: eat more of the carbs if you want up, less carbs if down. Meat you should just go all-in.