Low Calorie or Real Food

Options
So how many of you eat Low Calorie food and who eats normal food? or mix them?

I'm all for eating normal, dont like the sound of these weight watcher low fat stuff...

Replies

• Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    I eat healthy portions of real food, with the occasional un"clean" treat (like today's pizza slice). I never buy anything labeled "diet" or "lean" or "low" (except low sodium). Real for the win.
  • AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    My weakness is the GNC Lean Shake. Besides that, I don't eat any diet food. Most of it has too much sugar and carbs for my liking anyway. My mom eats A LOT of low fat and WW food and enjoys it and is losing weight.
  • Pocket_Pixi
    Pocket_Pixi Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    Real food please... diet food tastes like cardboard.
  • lauehorn
    Options
    So how many of you eat Low Calorie food and who eats normal food? or mix them?

I'm all for eating normal, dont like the sound of these weight watcher low fat stuff...

I do my best to only eat clean, whole foods 90% of the time and I eat in moderation.
  • Happy0326
    Happy0326 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I just get the real food too...Im focused on serving size & sticking to the servings I'm supposed tohave not over doing it. I want to eat how I'm gonna eat for the rest of my life. If I start taking things out & supsituting things it doesn't last long for me. I just want to eat it after I've already eatn the diet food. so to avoid a binge I just eat what I want just portion controlled.
  • czechsmate
    czechsmate Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    I eat mostly real food...I have a couple exceptions like low-fat string cheese and I will use diet tonic when I drink vodka
  • ebonaskavi
    ebonaskavi Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    normally I try to adjust portions rather than what i'm eating. That said, I do use part-skim mozzarella, substitute ground turkey for ground beef in some recipes, etc.

Since I like to cook, I feel like that's a more realistic, long term way to lose weight than to use pre-packaged diet meals, shakes etc. That said, for some people, they may work really well. I think it depends on the person--a lean-cuisine might be the way to go for someone who was previously getting fast food for convienence sake.
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I do my best to eat REAL food, but every now and then something low-fat sneaks into my diet.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    A mixture: If they reduced the fat, it's fine, if they added fake fat - yuck!

2% cheese is fine by me - Fat free cheese is gross. Ice cream is a good example - I would rather eat full fat - than fat free. The fat free has a wierd aftertaste.

I eat "real" bread as opposed to the 45 calories per slice kind - somethings are worth the slurge (I guess).
  • eattolive8
    Options
    I mostly eat real food but do choose low calarie or fat free dairy products.
  • lunamare
    lunamare Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    For the most part I eat real food. Sometimes I have some "Diet" or "Light" items because I like them. I had my first Lean Cusine in over 4 years the other day because the Santa Fe Rice and Beans was just calling my name (Used to be a fav when I worked nights) I try to go with Amy's Organic when I can for pre-made foods to bring for lunch if I don't have leftovers. And I love Trader Joe's. My rationale is that if I eat most of my food as REAL food, if I have a couple of "treats" that are low in calories or processed it's not going to be the end of me. I definitely avoid Splenda and fat free cheese, both make me sick. I've never had a problem with aspertame, but even then, my favorite yogurt is Trader Joe's Fat Free Organic French Vanilla and that uses sugar.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    The only low cal/fat foods I have are:

1. Low fat string cheese
    2. Sugarfree Gum
    and
    3. Sugarfree Werther's. I get cankers from any sugar or acid in my mouth longer term so I have to get sugarfree (and acid free) hard candies and gums.
  • czechsmate
    czechsmate Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    I eat mostly real food...I have a couple exceptions like low-fat string cheese and I will use diet tonic when I drink vodka

Oh...I forgot about chobani non-fat greek yogurt, have tried the 2% and I don't taste the difference so I prefer non-fat
  • RichardWhitman
    RichardWhitman Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Calling you all out on this one.
    Just because something is low calorie, does NOT mean it's not real food.

As I think about it, I don't even know how to define "real food". Not plastic fruit?
  • SCOUSERWENCH
    SCOUSERWENCH Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Real food please... diet food tastes like cardboard.

Someone who thinks the same as me lol
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    Oh, I forgot about low fat string cheese. I do occasionally buy the organic ones at TJ's :D
  • New_Hope
    Options
    I'm not sure what you mean by "real food" -- as in full fat? If that's your definition, then I eat almost all low calorie foods. I use turkey instead of beef and try to eat only lean cuts of meat (fish, chicken breast, turkey bacon, turkey sausage, trim all excess fat off what pork we do eat). Though I do use EVOO when I cook.

Edit: Re-read the original post. As far as "diet entrees" -- I very rarely eat those. I'd much rather cook than have to have tiny portions of high sodium food chalk full of preservatives. Especially since they don't seem all that good for your diet anyway.
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    I consider it all real food for *me* b/c it's delicious and has nutritional value LOL but technically I am mixing the two by a lot of people's standards. One day lunch might be a smart ones freezer meal and dinner might be a tomato, a cucumber, and 16 baby carrots all diced up and mixed with some feta and italian dressing. A snack could be a banana or canteloupe or it could be peanut butter on reduced calorie wheat bread or a yocrunch cheesecake flavored yogurt. Just depends on my mood.
  • wannabesexymama
    wannabesexymama Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    healthy portions of Real Food and some low calorie stuff!
  • LisaMarieee
    LisaMarieee Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Real food.