Microwaved egg whites?

Options
Has anyone tried microwaving their egg whites before? I was wondering, how did it turn out & if you sprayed the bowl (whatever you had used) before adding on the egg whites. I know this must be much faster than scrambling/cooking on a skillet. Wanted to hear some reviews on this! :) Thanks

Replies

• AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    Cooking them on a hot skillet would probably be faster, and yummier. Just heat up the pan before you even take out the eggs. By the time you separate the egg and whisk with a fork to make them a bit fluffy, your pan will be ready for cooking.
  • sumnerfan
    sumnerfan Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I cook egg whites in a pyrex bowl that I spray liberally with pam or it will stick. They cook in about 50 seconds. You probably need to put a paper towel over them because sometimes they explode. Except for experimenting to get the right length of time, it works great.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Mother nature cries when the yolk is thrown out...
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I poach my eggs in a mug of water in the microwave. I've never done just whites, though.
  • Loko_Ino
    Loko_Ino Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I cook up to 6 eggs whites in the microwave every morning.
    3.5 minutes and all done.
  • AlyRoseNYC
    Options

That too.
    OP, I used to eat egg whites for years. I'd pack them with tons of seasonings to give them some flavor. Now, I enjoy the whole egg and I cook it in a bit of butter. No need to add anything else, except some veggies or meats just for "fun" lol.
  • harmonysdream
    harmonysdream Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I cook whole eggs in a microwave safe bowl. Just crack em, scramble them up a bit and zap them. I don't eat eggs often but when I do I believe in eating the whole thing. I dunno how it would work for just the whites but it works great with whole eggs, and I dont add any spray or anything....mine have never had much issue with sticking since I use a glass bowl.
  • ads721
    ads721 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I do! I cook them in a glass bowl for 40 seconds & then take them out and "scrape" around the edges & then put them back in the microwave for 25-40 more seconds depending on my serving size. And I put a wet paper towel over them. So quick & easy!
  • sexygenius
    sexygenius Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    egg substitute (basically egg whites,some type of gum and food coloring) cook up nicely in the microwave, just spray the mug with pam, cook for 30 sec. stir and cook for another 30 sec or until done... i would normally just scramble whole eggs.. but what ever floats your boat..
  • AlyRoseNYC
    Options
    This is a legit question and not trying to be rude at all...

For the responders that cook their eggs in the microwave, can you tell me why? Do you enjoy the taste better, time constraints, ease of cleanup? What is YOUR reason for cooking eggs in the microwave?

I've never encountered anyone who does this, until I joined MFP. It just seems so odd to me.
  • LizC26
    LizC26 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Eggs cook awesomely in the microwave....I don't use cooking spray or anything...I leave my yolks in, don't bust them, and microwave 2 for 2 minutes. They come out tasting better than boiled eggs.

I do it because it's way faster and less cleanup than using the stove top. I don't have to use any oil or spray or anything, and I like the way it tastes better too. ( I DO NOT like the way they taste if you mix the yolk and white together though. I like mine separate)
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    Word. Guys, the yolk is where all of the vitamins are! Send them to meeeee!!!

To the OP, I have microwaved eggs before and I found it hard to get the texture right. They often seemed overcooked. It seems really quick to me to toss a few eggs in a skillet.
  • Jena_72
    Jena_72 Posts: 1,057
    Options
    I got these silicon egg cookers from Avon that are great for work when I can't use a stove. You just add a little water then the eggs they turn out great! Very convenient for work.
    x6ikhe.jpg
  • The_Saint
    The_Saint Posts: 358 Member
    Options

To the OP, I have microwaved eggs before and I found it hard to get the texture right. They often seemed overcooked. It seems really quick to me to toss a few eggs in a skillet.

Give me an address you will have a dozen egg yolks a day. I'm thinking a dozen egg yolks a day would put my cholesterol way over...

As for the Eggs in a microwave. This is how I travel. I'll buy liquid egg whites when I'm on the road/staying in a hotel. Cook em up in the microwave in a glass container. A pint does me good.
  • questionablemethods
    Options

Give me an address you will have a dozen egg yolks a day. I'm thinking a dozen egg yolks a day would put my cholesterol way over...
    If you eat the whole egg, you probably wouldn't need to eat a dozen a day. :happy:

FWIW: I'd look into the cholesterol thing--I think that myth is on its way to being debunked, if it hasn't been already (it has been for me). I'm not concerned about it.
  • KenMadere
    KenMadere Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Only way I do eggs. Has the texture of hard boiled egg without the yolk.

Spray or lightly oil a microwave proof glass container. MIcrowave for 1:45 minutes at 60% power setting.

This works for EggBeaters also.... or you can do a whole egg (just remember to pierce the yolk with a toothpick),
  • Romans624
    Options
    I did this this morning... except I used the whole egg. Honestly, when it cooks correctly on the skillet it seems tastier, but for me its a lot more cleanup. (scraping and scrubbing all that is stuck on the skillet... ) If you've got plenty of eggs it doesn't hurt to try, although without the yolk I think the skillet might yield a better result.

For the life of me I cannot fry an egg. I can't flip it over without the yolk breaking. How does anyone learn to do this? Grrr
  • questionablemethods
    Options
    I did this this morning... except I used the whole egg. Honestly, when it cooks correctly on the skillet it seems tastier, but for me its a lot more cleanup. (scraping and scrubbing all that is stuck on the skillet... ) If you've got plenty of eggs it doesn't hurt to try, although without the yolk I think the skillet might yield a better result.

For the life of me I cannot fry an egg. I can't flip it over without the yolk breaking. How does anyone learn to do this? Grrr

The secret for me is a well-seasoned cast-iron skillet + a flat metal spatula + plenty of butter or bacon grease = perfection.

I think it might depend upon the eggs too. I seem to remember hearing that the more fresh the eggs, the better the yolks stay intact. I usually buy mine from the farmer's market, so I think they might be fresher than some that I get in the grocery store.
  • Romans624
    Options
    Kaitlynj, I will have to try that. When I get paid I'll find a cast iron skillet (preseasoned or do it myself) .... Maybe I can bribe my husband to go to a farmers market since I have class on Saturdays. Come to think of it, I think my dad used to use a cast iron skillet when he made us bacon and (fried) egg sandwiches growing up. God I miss those.

Thanks for the tip!
  • karenmi
    karenmi Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I'd love to keep the yolks, but my cholesterol says NO! It's not a myth, as I found out.....when I lost 35 lbs my LDL, which was borderline high to begin with, went up, even though I was eating very clean and exercising almost every day. I was eating one whole hard-boiled egg every morning before my 5 am workout.

My doctor suggested I cut out the egg & see if it made a difference. Six months later my LDL went down, quite substantially. So it was likely the egg, although not scientifically proven.

But I do love egg whites, and from what my registered dietician told me they are a great source of protien even without the yolk.