Runner's High was a myth until today

Options
:happy:

I just did my last training run for my sprint triathlon that I am doing on Sunday. I have never experienced runner's high until today. Let me tell you I am not a runner by trade. My motto for running is I will run when I am chasing something or something is chasing me. Many people told me that the runner's high happens when you have been running and you just feel in the zone and you feel like you can go for miles and miles. Still not buying it. Running for miles and miles is crazy isn't it? I mean why on earth would I want to run? I'll tell you why because no matter what race I enter, a 5k, 10K, half Marathon, or a Triathlon you have to run to the finish line. So it occured to me as I ran the farthest I have run since July because of an injury, that I am chasing my finish line, and that gave me a euphoric high of finishing my run. Now other people say that your entire body feels wonderful. Well I am not entirely convinced of that yet, but when I stopped running today I did notice that I was barely breathing hard and as soon as I stopped my heartrate lowered almost instantly. So I now feel like I am ready to get my personal best in my 4th triathlon on Sunday. I have my first runner's high. Bring on race weekend

Replies

• simplynila
    simplynila Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Runners high is my motivation to run some days! haha :) Good luck!
  • Heatherbledsoe
    Heatherbledsoe Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I always hear people say this, but have never expierienced it until SUNDAY. I am not a runner either. I think themost I have ran is 1 mile, lol. O ran four straight miles on sunday, and theonly reason i had to stop was because my back hurt and I was hungry.
    The next two days i was so sore in my abs and my butt and legs, lol.
    It was amazing though, and makes me wanna run more!
    :)
  • bovbjerg
    bovbjerg Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Let me tell you I am not a runner by trade. My motto for running is I will run when I am chasing something or something is chasing me.

Totally agree with you there....but I have started the C25K program only because I needed to "step up my game" in the getting healthy and losing weight business. I am repeating week 4 due to a pulled muscle and am dreading the end of week 5! I have not had the "runner's high" yet (hate it the whole time I'm jogging) but I have to say I always feel good about myself after the fact for actually getting out there and pushing myself. However, having said that I'm still of the mind set that if I have more than 5 km to go, I'll just drive. :drinker:

Good luck with your races!!!
  • chickybuns
    chickybuns Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    I think I felt that "high" a few weeks ago after a very intense spinning class. I was worn out, drenched in sweat, but I felt soooo good then and for several hours afterward. Does make you addicted to exercise.