Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Stress Eating and How To Prepare

Hi all. I'm a stress eater. Since I started ADHD meds as a 35-year-old for the first time in my life it has gotten better but I still struggle due to stress and am wondering how others prepare for this. Thought the topic might help others, too.

Replies

• DrBenja
    DrBenja Posts: 32 Member

Recognizing and dealing with stress eating is a big win!
    Try activities like exercise, writing or mindfulness. Having healthy snacks nearby helps too.
    Lean on supportive folks and don't hesitate to seek expert guidance if you need it.
  • earlybirdlady
    earlybirdlady Posts: 121 Member
    I too am a stress eater. It’s such a difficult habit to break and I still struggle with it. I agree that getting into a regular stress management routine is helpful, as the other member suggested. I also find that creating distance is a must for me. If I know I’m having a rough day and at risk for stress eating, I try to stay out of the kitchen if it’s not meal time and get busy doing something in another room. Not always possible, I know. But it does help.

I’ve also found that it’s worse when I’m tired. Sometimes what my body really needs is sleep, so if I find myself stress eating at night I just go to bed if I can.

Just know it’s a long-term battle and each day is an opportunity to do better. Worst thing we can do is get angry with ourselves. Prepare as best we can and move on when we lose the battle. And, of course, seeking help when needed!
  • Hobartlemagne
    Hobartlemagne Posts: 491 Member
    You could get rice cakes in a flavor you like. It takes so much time to overdo the calories with those, you might stop just bc youre tired of it.
  • csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,169 Member
    Pre log your food for the day. When you want to reach for food, look at what’s next in the app. Are you willing to eat that at this time of day, knowing you need to make it last? If not, wait!
  • LoganBennett715
    LoganBennett715 Posts: 29 Member
    Stress eating is common and to avoid it the best way is to avoid the things that put you in stress, while if the stress is inevitable, you have to strengthen your will power then.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 8,270 Member
    edited September 13
    Consider what’s causing the stress.

A lot of us are like the frog in boiling water. It just creeps up on us til it overwhelms us.

I took a good look at my friends. My husband had nicknamed them the Bitter Divorcees Club. I told my best friend- politely and lovingly- I’d had enough nonstop exhusband rants. I never heard from her again. I wasn’t a friend. I was an outlet. Got rid of another similar friend.

My job. Family business. 30+ years. “Diaper Syndrome” even though I was nearly 50. Regretfully, in hindsight, so much time stolen from my own kids and husband. Your classic boiling frog. I quit. Parents stopped speaking to me. I thought I’d die of depression. But….it ended the incessant, unreasonable demands that had frog-boiled and I hadn’t even noticed. My happiness quotient went up a million-fold.

Kids. Grown. Gone. I try not to hover. One resents it, the other criticizes annd annalyzes every word that comes out of my mouth. She got that from Old Me.

I’m happier, which decreased my husband’s stress. Happiness is the opposite of the Vicious Cycle. There really is such a thing as a Happy Cycle.

You have to choose what you invite into your life.

The only stressor in my life right now is arthritis- manageable with exercise, and a rescue dog who requires constant firm attention. That stressor is my choice, and returns straight up -if cautious and reserved- nonjudgemental love.

I just try to be kinder and more positive, and surround myself with people who are likewise.

Check the sources of your stress.

Makes a massive difference. 🤷🏻‍♀️
  • LoganBennett715
    LoganBennett715 Posts: 29 Member
    Thank you for sharing your experience! Stress can really creep in, but your story shows the power of setting boundaries and choosing what you allow in life. Your positive changes and focus on happiness are truly inspiring!