Protein powder 1 or 2x per day? Does it matter?

yirara
yirara Posts: 9,842 Member
edited September 2 in Food and Nutrition
Currently, and for another 2 weeks on summer vacation. The food here is rather meaty. I don't eat a lot of meat. For that reason I brought a tin of protein powder along. As it turns out it's not a very tasty one while another flavour of this brand tastes bearable but as it's not available in a tin but only a poorly closing bag I chose the tin. Thanks to a congenital muscle condition my protein needs are possibly higher, and I'm fairly active here. Hence the powder.

I'm fine drinking 30gr in the morning. Splitting this over morning and evening.. I'm not sure. Thus the question is whether timing matters. I'm probably eating most protein with my dinner in the evening, or possible during a late lunch, but it might also all be vegetarian, and with not the most interesting macros.

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,735 Member
    IIRC, you are . . . a bit more mature? Is that true?

There's reasonable evidence that as we age, we metabolize protein less effectively, so it can be beneficial to spread it more through the day. This, even though protein timing is less important (still) than ample protein; and research suggests timing is less important to those who are closer to being young'uns.

This international expert study group report (link below) was specifically addressing people 65+, but I have to believe that the underlying physiological changes would've been somewhat gradual. If I weren't already 65+, I would've liked to have started thinking about this stuff a bit before 65, personally.

https://www.jamda.com/article/S1525-8610(13)00326-5/fulltext

I also understand from some of your other posts that you are . . . interesting in some ways, physiologically speaking. If it were me, that would also bias me in the direction of spreading out protein a bit. I don't know of a reason NOT to spread it out, and maybe there could be benefits.

As always, just my opinion.
  • Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,761 Member
    30g in the morning is a great idea, especially if that's most of your protein pre-lunch. If it is, I wouldn't split that 30g.

I also wouldn't go over 50g protein powder in a sitting. Maybe you could? Not that you asked, I'm just musing here. While it's fine to get most of your daily protein in a smaller window, aside from Ann's age comments above, a mix of foods digests at many varying rates over many hours, whereas whey protein powder digests quickly so I'm not sure if having too much (50g+) at once is sensible.

Btw, I don't understand the reasoning of tin vs not tin. You can move the powder from a bag to a ziploc bag, or a bag to a tin, etc.
  • yirara
    Thanks a lot AnnP ❤️ Yeah, I'm 50 and my muscles have an unusual structure due to a genetic defect running in my family, which means everything I do is a lot more strenuous and leads to quicker fatigue. Normally at home I eat protein spread out throughout the day. Here on vacation I don't have my usual food (and don't want it temporarily) and eat most protein with dinner in the evening. I'm out and about all day, thus my powder can only be morning or evening anyway. Tomorrow I'm having a 10km walk, with a climb up a wee volcano (just a small cinder cone with steep flanks) at the end.
  • yirara
    30g in the morning is a great idea, especially if that's most of your protein pre-lunch. If it is, I wouldn't split that 30g.

I also wouldn't go over 50g protein powder in a sitting. Maybe you could? Not that you asked, I'm just musing here. While it's fine to get most of your daily protein in a smaller window, aside from Ann's age comments above, a mix of foods digests at many varying rates over many hours, whereas whey protein powder digests quickly so I'm not sure if having too much (50g+) at once is sensible.

Btw, I don't understand the reasoning of tin vs not tin. You can move the powder from a bag to a ziploc bag, or a bag to a tin, etc.

Thanks a lot Retro. Appreciate your opinion. I have vegan protein powder. Not sure this makes a difference with whey. And yeah, my brekky is probably rather protein-free other than bread and fruit, and lunch is whatever I do.

The tin was just an afterthought, like: argh, going on vacation, need protein powder 😅 No, I don't have ziplocks or other containers in the right size at home, and carrying that stuff in my soft suitcase or carry-on? Hmm.. I felt a tin would be a bit more convenient 😅
  • AnnPT77
    Depending on what the vegan protein powder consists of, it may be less bioavailable or less amino acid complete than whey protein . . . which is a consideration. If it's less bioavailable or less complete, neither is a good thing . . . but spreading it out isn't likely to change that. PDCAAS score, if you can find one, would shed some light on that.

I'm sure different vegan protein types have different rates of metabolization, too, but it may be difficult to find that out.
  • yirara
    Phew, that's all super complicated! It's soy and pea I think. I can't have eggs. Ok, those are things to consider once i get back home. For now I think it'll just have to do.
  • AnnPT77
    yirara wrote: »
    Phew, that's all super complicated! It's soy and pea I think. I can't have eggs. Ok, those are things to consider once i get back home. For now I think it'll just have to do.

Soy tends to be quite bioavailable, and is essential amino acid (EAA) complete. Soy protein powder should have a PDCAAS (protein digestibility-corrected amino acid score) around 1.0 (out of a possible 1.0), which is comparable to animal sources.

Pea protein powder is probably more like 0.82-0.84, so not quite as bioavailable/complete. It has a bit under half the methionine and cysteine it would need in order to be fully EAA-complete, though it does have some of those limiting EAAs. It does have the BCAAs, but I feel like there's more emphasis on those than really makes sense, since we need all of the EAAs. The BCAAs are considered more important for muscle growth, though.

Simpler: Soy + pea is not terrible, actually probably pretty OK. Soy > pea.
  • yirara
    edited September 2
    Cool, thanks a lot AnnP! I'll look into this properly once I'm back home. I don't have a problem with eating soy, thus that should be fine. Plus, considering the amount of tofu, soy sauce, edamame, miso and other things I eat it would not matter much 😅 I don't think GMO soy is available for human consumption within the EU. The rest.. well.. *shrugs*
  • stianjl
    stianjl Posts: 15 Member
    It doesnt matter. You can even do 3. But most do 1 or 2. Remember to eat your normal meals first, then add powders.
  • yirara
    Ok, got a whole pile of different protein powders to try out for free. Don't ask. Looks like my preferred one is a somewhat creamy pea/rice powder. Soy is ok. Whey and egg stuff is yucky. I also seem to prefer lighter fruity flavours over chocolate, banana or caramel. Ok, it is what it is.
  • yirara
    Well, project protein is kind of working. I'm getting about 75-80gr protein per day now, which is fresh produce supplemented with some powder. Which is a big improvement over just 50 or so. Note, I'm about 64kg and have xx chromosomes. Can't say it's easy though as I can't eat a lot of products with more protein as they are reflux triggers (egg, cottage cheese, many others: I look at you!) and hardly eat any meat.
  • SafariGalNYC
    SafariGalNYC Posts: 1,298 Member
    edited September 21
    If you are still looking for a protein source to supplement here and there…

I found this and like it. I use it in baking as well for a protein boost. I also use in smoothies. Makes excellent muffins and crackers and quiche crust! 20grams of protein per serving.

I primarily decided to try it for its high iron and vitamin and mineral profile in addition to other varied protein sources. Good luck! I alternate with this and another..

Ingredients- seeds of watermelon, sunflower, pumpkin, and chia plants.

ybhvxgzdxe96.jpeg
    om6uk3dhj3qj.jpeg
  • yirara
    Haha, thanks for the recommendation. But US brands are not available here. I guess due to ingredients that might go against EU regulations. I do get free protein powder now and am set for the coming months. Gosh I have so much of that stuff that I should slow down. Let me think

Pea/rice mango: My favourite, also like their berry flavour
    soy chocolate: hmpf.. it's ok, still creamy
    clear vhey pea plus amino acids: what the heck?!? it's not creamy
    various vegan strawberry
    various vegan raspberry lemon
    egg and milk whey caramel - the most vile stuff in the world
    whey banana test pack - ok, this is even more vile. I threw it away
    and today I'm getting soy vanilla I think.

ehm.. I ended up on a product test thingie, in case you wondered.
  • Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,761 Member
    edited September 21

I ended up on a product test thingie, in case you wondered.
    That egg one sounds truly awful.

And yes, I wondered about the legality of your sudden windfall of protein powders, especially when you said, "Don't ask." :smile:
  • yirara

I ended up on a product test thingie, in case you wondered.
    That egg one sounds truly awful.

And yes, I wondered about the legality of your sudden windfall of protein powders, especially when you said, "Don't ask." :smile:

Haha, yes. I ended up stocking up on house cleaning stuff, food, supplements I need anyway because deficiency and creams. And then noticed that I can also pick protein powders every now and then .
  • SafariGalNYC
    SafariGalNYC Posts: 1,298 Member
    @yirara glad you found a smorgasbord of protein option! (I bought the naked nutrition tub in the UK)

But it is interesting how different products are in different countries!
  • yirara
    Thanks guys. So now I kicked one tub of protein powder out that I received yesterday. It was vile! but I have enough others. You won't believe what half the *kitten* it I could order, like apple cider vinegar capsules, or patches for weightloss or drawing toxins out of the soles of your feet 🙈 I did chose a bottle of actual red wine yesterday though. 😅
  • yirara
    For someone who needs a shitload of carbs just to function this isn't too bad :)
    Breakfast is oats with skyr, raisins and fruit of the day.
    Lunch currently is a soft wholegrain bun with spicy chicken salad
    Then a banana
    Then raw veg with cashew nuts
    Dinner is from a big pot of soupe au pistou that I cooked today with ample veg, parmigiano and turkey breast and another soft wholegrain bun
    custard with coffee and caramel flavour
    And 20g vegan protein powder

y90nc6l0ax6g.png