Fat, where does it go?

Options
So when you lose fat, where does it go? Does the body burn it as energy/fuel?

Replies

• joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    It goes out to TGI Friday's for drinks.
  • Alee4nia
    Alee4nia Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    lol...lonely fat?!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    From Mayo Clinic website:
    Question
    Body fat: What happens to lost fat?
    When you lose weight, where does the lost body fat go?
    Answer
    from Katherine Zeratsky, R.D., L.D.
    Body fat breaks down during a series of complex metabolic processes.

When you burn more calories than you consume, your body uses fat (triglycerides) for energy. This causes your fat cells to shrink. In turn, triglycerides are broken down into two different substances — glycerol and fatty acids — which are absorbed into your liver, kidneys and muscle tissue. From there, the glycerol and fatty acids are further broken down by chemical processes that ultimately produce energy for your body.

These activities generate heat, which helps maintain your body temperature. The resulting waste products — water and carbon dioxide — are excreted in urine and sweat or exhaled from your lungs.

ETA - good question, by the way - never really thought about it beyond the fact that the fat cells shrink
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    It makes it's way to my *kitten*. :grumble:
  • PAnn1
    PAnn1 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I believe that what your body doesn't need to sustain life is absorbed into the body and eliminated.
  • bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    Options
    in the crapper?
  • _Ben
    _Ben Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options

Question
    Answer

When you burn more calories than you consume, your body uses fat (triglycerides) for energy. This causes your fat cells to shrink. In turn, triglycerides are broken down into two different substances — glycerol and fatty acids — which are absorbed into your liver, kidneys and muscle tissue. From there, the glycerol and fatty acids are further broken down by chemical processes that ultimately produce energy for your body.

These activities generate heat, which helps maintain your body temperature. The resulting waste products — water and carbon dioxide — are excreted in urine and sweat or exhaled from your lungs.

Very well put. When you.... "execrete, that is not your lost fat. When people say "burning fat", your body is pretty much burning the fat by breaking it down for energy usage. As said, heat and water are produced when you do this
  • jordanashley19
    Options
    I wish it'd go to my butt! but nooo, it goes everywhere else. lol
  • mmmichelle8486
    mmmichelle8486 Posts: 269 Member
    Options

:laugh: does it get the fried green beans with extra dipping sauce?
  • Frannswaz
    Frannswaz Posts: 172 Member
    Options

Question
    Answer

I was just about to google that.Thanks for the info----puts everything into perspective:smile:
  • katkins3
    katkins3 Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I used to ride my stationary bike in the living room while watching TV. On the commercials I'd sing loudly, "Fat Fat go away, Stick on Jenny's thigh's today." (Jenny was my boyfriend's teenage daughter.)
  • LaSweetMini
    LaSweetMini Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    {quote]
    [/quote]
    LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • ebramlett
    ebramlett Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    It gets it *kitten* burned up if your working out with me!!

Seriously, its like gas in a cars gas tank. You exercise, it gets burned up by your body (engine), and sent out the exhaust, well, you get the picture!
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    The fat just walks away. - Adipose Industries (Dr. Who)
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options

i think it goes to germany.
  • Alee4nia
    Alee4nia Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Question
    Answer

ETA - good question, by the way - never really thought about it beyond the fact that the fat cells shrink

Thanks for the wealth of info....the body does amazing things
  • terrellc1
    terrellc1 Posts: 231 Member
    Options

Ahha ahahahahh!! It must be Friday!
  • mmmichelle8486
    mmmichelle8486 Posts: 269 Member
    Options

i think it goes to germany.

interesting.... what makes you think that?
  • Gigi_licious
    Gigi_licious Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options

:laugh: does it get the fried green beans with extra dipping sauce?

I hope so! That's the best thing they've got there!
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    The amount of fat cells you have is set during childhood and adolescence and remains fairly constant throughout adulthood. When you put on weight you are not increasng the amount of fat cells you have you are increasing the size of those cells. So when you lose weight the fat cells shrink. Isn't the human body amazing. :yawn: