Age guessing - what do you look for?

Options
withchaco
withchaco Posts: 1,026 Member
Exhibit A.
My family is from Korea. A certain Caucasian friend of mine looked like she's in early 30s to my family, as well as other Koreans who saw her when she was visiting. This was back when she and I were both 25-ish. People who hadn't known her were surprised to learn that she was my age because they thought she looked older. However... non-Koreans, it seemed, were surprised to find out that she wasn't 13-15.

Exhibit B.
There's this Korean lady I know who is short and super petite. She's around 4' 11" and only 70 something lbs. Can't take adult's medications, and car front seats can't detect her weight because she's so light. She's around 40 and most Koreans guess her age fairly accurately, based on the fine lines on her face (especially her forehead).

However, she's been mistaken for being 12 years old on multiple occasions by non-East Asians. One time I asked why they guessed her age so young, and the reply was, "well, she's so tiny, and she has this big smile." I guess it didn't help that she gets most of her cloths from the kids section...

So what do YOU look for when you're trying to guess someone's age?

How much of it is from their face?

From their expressions, posture, attitude?

From what they're wearing?

From their voice?

Replies

• ejohndrow
    ejohndrow Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options
    I don't tend to care about a person's age enough to guess it, unless I'm at work and they look to be out after curfew, or underage drinking.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I usually compare how they look vs myself.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I pretty much look at faces.

I met a woman the other day who couldn't have been 5 feet tall and was very fit and thin and not a lot of curves (boy-shaped, small boobs). She was 28, but I would have sworn she was 40 by how worn out her face looked. And she had on a TON of makeup, which makes it even worse.

A lot of people seem to think I'm in my early 20s.
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I look for their driver's license first. Then a birth certificate.
  • monocot
    monocot Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I'm horrible at guessing ages. I do try to go by lines on the face and a bit by there clothes.
    People guess my age all the time. And they always guess that I'm in my 30's...
    Next week I turn 25. So What ever I'm doing. I'm doing it wrong
  • iAMaPhoenix
    iAMaPhoenix Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Exhibit A.
    My family is from Korea. A certain Caucasian friend of mine looked like she's in early 30s to my family, as well as other Koreans who saw her when she was visiting. This was back when she and I were both 25-ish. People who hadn't known her were surprised to learn that she was my age because they thought she looked older. However... non-Koreans, it seemed, were surprised to find out that she wasn't 13-15.

Exhibit B.
    There's this Korean lady I know who is short and super petite. She's around 4' 11" and only 70 something lbs. Can't take adult's medications, and car front seats can't detect her weight because she's so light. She's around 40 and most Koreans guess her age fairly accurately, based on the fine lines on her face (especially her forehead).

However, she's been mistaken for being 12 years old on multiple occasions by non-East Asians. One time I asked why they guessed her age so young, and the reply was, "well, she's so tiny, and she has this big smile." I guess it didn't help that she gets most of her cloths from the kids section...

So what do YOU look for when you're trying to guess someone's age?

How much of it is from their face?

From their expressions, posture, attitude?

From what they're wearing?

From their voice?

Fvck guessing age. I want to know how you went from a XXL size 16 to a S size 6 in 5 months. Jeezzzuuusss.
  • ejohndrow
    Options
    I look for their driver's license first. Then a birth certificate.

But officer, she said she was 21!
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure I've ever tried to guess someone's age before...
  • SkateboardFi
    SkateboardFi Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options
    i look at their face, hair, style of clothes and also their voice and demeanor..
  • br04416
    br04416 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Sometimes it has to do with our genes too. If you are healthy, and eat healthy, don't smoke are not too stressed most of the time, and people still think you are older then you are, I just think that we can't help it for the most part. :smile: :smile: :smile:
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    Carbon dating.
  • ejohndrow
    Options
    So you aren't a carnie then?
  • MrsSpratt
    MrsSpratt Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Look at the hands. A person's hands will tell their age pretty well.
  • nata84
    nata84 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I always look at their faces for wrinkles and stuff. But so many people tan now that it's really decieving because they age way quicker. People at work always ask me how old I am, when I tell them 27 they are shocked because I'm always mistaken for high school age.
  • emd0019
    emd0019 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    So you aren't a carnie then?

LMAO
    :laugh:
  • i_love_vinegar
    i_love_vinegar Posts: 2,092 Member
    Options
    I think it has to do with neotoneous (sp) features, which tend to be more common in asians.

The best way I think to tell is by skin texture/sagging, hair movement, gums, bone structure etc. Also posture, attitude etc ^^

I am very much into antiaging, although I have yet to implement a lot of things ($$$).

I am white, and asians often tell me that I look 15-18, although I am 21 (not big difference, but this is very important to me as I only date asians). ^^ People in general tend to guess me as younger, although when I actually was younger, people (in general) tended to guess me as older. I dont know what changed really, except my hair is longer...I think maybe my body formed over that time... ^^

I have a hard time believing white people honestly think that Korean women is 12 though...far too young xD You know, as a white Californian (polite), we often tell people they "look 12," but mmm...it isnt literal. It just means the person looks far younger than their age.

My point is, asians dont age better in my opinion. They simply tend to take more pride in appearances (I think its more important there, as even in Korea you have to put your photo with your job application I hear...this beauty includes pale skin = less sun damage/expensive products), and are often smaller (shorter/thinner), with less "developed" bodies. Also, they tend to have smaller/flatter features (neotony), baby faces are common etc.

If you are white and want to look younger: shrink, get a nose job, and stay out of the sun XD

ps: No offense, but where else in the world will you find wide public-acceptance of 12 year old girls as "idols" to older men? LOL Asians I think...feel it is more important to look under 18, than Americans who think it is important to look under 40 :/