Protein on this site?

Options
When I looked at a chicken omelet on this site, there was hardly any protein? So I googled it... Made me think to check everything... xx

Chicken breast, 3.5 oz - 30 grams protein
Egg, large - 6 grams protein

Anyone else get this problem? I assume this is only organic chicken, as the battery chickens are a totally different food.

I also found that the cals burnt on a work out can be double what you do (ie workout 600 cals, but I find 300 more appropriate), and believe me I do workout hard!!! If I dont feel totally confused after a work out and my muscles are not screaming for me to stop then I dont feel I have put enough in...

Just thought I would try and gather as much information as possible xx

Replies

• Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    Almost everything in the database is added by users. I prefer to add individual ingredients rather than a recipe from the database. With recipes, there's not way to know actually what the ingredients are and how they relate to your own food.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    I always double check what I add to the nutrition facts listed on my food, just to be sure. Users add stuff and don't always get it right.
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    For food, I either add the individiual ingredients I used or I create my own personal recipe and save it to the site to use later.

For exercise, the MFP stuff is just an estimate and it could be very different for people of different weights, level of effort, etc, so I like to go with the estimate that my heartrate monitor gives me b/c I have no clue where the estimates on MFP come from.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    7. FOOD DATABASE AND NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION

MyFitnessPal’s food database contains a combination of nutritional information entered directly by MyFitnessPal and nutritional information entered by MyFitnessPal members (“Food Database”). Any MyFitnessPal member can contribute nutritional information to the Food Database, as well as edit existing nutritional information. Please be advised that nutritional information found in MyFitnessPal’s Food Database has not been reviewed by persons with the expertise required to provide You with complete, accurate, or reliable information. MYFITNESSPAL DOES NOT (I) GUARANTEE THE ACCURACY, COMPLETENESS, OR USEFULNESS OF ANY NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION IN THE FOOD DATABASE; OR (II) ADOPT, ENDORSE OR ACCEPT RESPONSIBILITY FOR THE ACCURACY OR RELIABILITY OF ANY SUCH NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION. UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES WILL MYFITNESSPAL BE RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY LOSS OR DAMAGE RESULTING FROM YOUR RELIANCE ON NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION. You are solely responsible for ensuring that any nutritional information in the Food Database is accurate, complete and useful.
  • Adrenaline_Queen
    Adrenaline_Queen Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Thank you, glad it is not just me! As when I first come on this site 2 weeks ago, I stuck to the cals, but with the workout it made no sense... xx Thank you xx
  • Adrenaline_Queen
    Adrenaline_Queen Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    7. FOOD DATABASE AND NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION

MyFitnessPal’s food database contains a combination of nutritional information entered directly by MyFitnessPal and nutritional information entered by MyFitnessPal members (“Food Database”). Any MyFitnessPal member can contribute nutritional information to the Food Database, as well as edit existing nutritional information. Please be advised that nutritional information found in MyFitnessPal’s Food Database has not been reviewed by persons with the expertise required to provide You with complete, accurate, or reliable information. MYFITNESSPAL DOES NOT (I) GUARANTEE THE ACCURACY, COMPLETENESS, OR USEFULNESS OF ANY NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION IN THE FOOD DATABASE; OR (II) ADOPT, ENDORSE OR ACCEPT RESPONSIBILITY FOR THE ACCURACY OR RELIABILITY OF ANY SUCH NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION. UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES WILL MYFITNESSPAL BE RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY LOSS OR DAMAGE RESULTING FROM YOUR RELIANCE ON NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION. You are solely responsible for ensuring that any nutritional information in the Food Database is accurate, complete and useful.

I had read this, thank you for taking the time to find it. I just wanted to know other peoples views. xx
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    Oh, right..just making sure :)

Yeah, I've found things can vary wildly. If im looking for something i dont have the actual info for i check more than one, and find which is the most common, and go with that.

I had something the other day...cant remember what it was...but there were 2 entries for it. One had 15 units of sodium, the other had 1,765 units of sodium...
  • JRMcCaghren
    Options
    If the food in the database has an asterisk in front of it, it was added by another member. I have found that these are very rarely correct, sometimes not even close. I always double check everything, and add ingredients with correct nutrition facts. On stuff like apples, onions, and potatoes, you'll notice there is no asterisk which means it comes from MFP, and these are normally reliable.

With regard to exercise calories burned, I think you're right. I used to eat some of these calories back, but have decided I get way to many, so I now just eat my original daily calorie goal.
  • 10fairywings
    10fairywings Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Find the same honey when it says I haven't reached my protein I kow I have! And it's safer not to eat all exercise cals back from here, unless you;re sure! :) xx
  • 10fairywings
    10fairywings Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    If the food in the database has an asterisk in front of it, it was added by another member. I have found that these are very rarely correct, sometimes not even close. I always double check everything, and add ingredients with correct nutrition facts. On stuff like apples, onions, and potatoes, you'll notice there is no asterisk which means it comes from MFP, and these are normally reliable.

With regard to exercise calories burned, I think you're right. I used to eat some of these calories back, but have decided I get way to many, so I now just eat my original daily calorie goal.

OMG!!! This is a comment on what you said, I just wanted to say I LOVE THE LITTLE PIG!!!!! Awwwwwwwwww cute as!!!!
  • aasta
    aasta Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I also check everything... I think some things are added incorrectly into the database. I also wear a Polar heart rate watch/strap to get an accurate calorie burn. It varies so much depending on the person and how much you put into it and such. Anyway..... yes it is always a good idea to double check for accuracy =)