Switching and Weightloss Success?

Hey I'm thinking about making a switch from a slightly more expensive tracking app to this one but I want to know any advice on continue weightloss success in the process?

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,759 Member
    It's hard to answer that without knowing more. Are there specific features you're concerned about that you want to make sure are available here, or features you dislike in the expensive site that you hope aren't in MFP?

There have been people here who switched from WeightWatchers/WW to MFP, or Noom to MFP, and things like that. Depending on what you're switching from, there might be someone(s) here who've made the same switch, if you said specifically. Someone who'd done that could give you pros/cons, maybe.

Generically, MFP has very mainstream nutritional goals by default, but lets you modify those if you want to; and uses research-based calorie estimating methods. It will tell you when you're missing certain of your goal settings (for example), but unlike some other tracking apps, it doesn't try to influence you to eat in any particular way by making so-called "bad foods" have some kind of penalty or so-called "good foods" have some kind of reward. (The foods aren't coded red/yellow/green or given point counts, for example.)

With MFP, you have control over your goals (i.e., you can change your calorie and nutrition targets), and you can eat whatever foods you like within the goals you set for yourself (or let MFP set for you). You can even blow out your goals, and MFP won't do anything major, other than maybe giving you some kind of warning message.

Whether that's better or worse depends on what you want.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,323 Member
    It works if you work it.

Any diet and weight loss tool is only as good as the person using it.

I lost 80ish pounds 17 years ago and I've kept it off by basically logging food and exercise on this site. I just use it as it was designed to be used, I don't/didn't use even a tracking gadget like fitbit or anything similar.

Here's the explanation of how this site calculates. It is a little different than other trackers:
    https://support.myfitnesspal.com/hc/en-us/articles/360032625391-How-does-MyFitnessPal-calculate-my-initial-goals

Log food, study my FOOD diary and learn from it - then and now.
  • I'm currently on WW and thinking about making a switch more so in the cost department I do enjoy WW but I'm want to see if I can save some money and I am more use to counting points than calories and I'm concerned that I won't be able to stick with it
  • Thanks for the advice and support
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,330 Member
    It’s been years, but I originally switched to MFP from WW. On the one hand, it was no big deal because I was already weighing and logging “every bite, lick, and taste”—mostly. There was a bit of a mental shift from free fruits and veggies to needing to include those in my logging, but honestly once I saw how produce calories add up, it was ridiculous to leave them out of the calculation.

I think the biggest jump for me though was dealing with the potential margin of error in the MFP database. It’s no big deal once you get used to it, but moving from a curated database like WW has, where they control and verify entries, to a crowdsourced database that has to be hand-verified by the user was a big surprise. Once you’ve tracked for a while you get a favorite foods list and things go faster, but it is definitely a learning curve.

That said, I love the price of MFP (free!) compared to WW and I like having actual data about my food instead of some arcane “points” designation.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,850 Member
    I never used WW. I'm also one of those people who would gain weight on free points because I eat a lot of it. MFP can be free, thus there's no need to pay depending on whether you need the premium features or not. Me, I've been using MFP for ages without. Never needed them.