Hair Loss

Options
Hey guys, I need help! For the past month I have been losing hair LIKE CRAZY and I don't know why! I had a baby 6 months ago so I'm not too sure if that has anything to do with it. I eat healthy...I get a lot of protein in my diet. I take 5000 mcg. of biotin a day, and I also take a multivitamin. The only medication that I am on is my daily birth control pill. However my hair is falling out in pretty decent amounts, I am getting so worried! Could it be from the weight loss? PLEASE HELP!

Replies

• Chastityx
    Chastityx Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Thyroid!
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Speak to your doctor.
  • Becky1971
    Becky1971 Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    That happens after having a baby. hormonal changes make your hair thicken, then after baby it falls out. don't worry you aren't going bald. : )

http://www.babycenter.com/0_postpartum-hair-loss_11721.bc
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    If you're not eating enough it can cause your hair to fall out. (Like what happens to anorexic people sometimes) Are you eating more than 1200 every day?

Just read what people said about the pregnancy though, and that seems more likely. :D
  • lovinlife71
    Options
    I would have your thyroid levels checked.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Telogen Effluvium is very common after pregnancy, stress and dietary changes!
    Causes of Telogen Effluvium: Stress and Diet

What are the trigger factors for TE? The short answer is many and varied. Classic short-term TE often happens to women soon after giving birth. Called postpartum alopecia, the sudden change in hormone levels at birth is such a shock to the hair follicles that they shut down for a while. There may be some significant hair shedding, but most women regrow their hair quickly.

Similarly, vaccinations, crash dieting, physical trauma such as being in a car crash, and having surgery can sometimes be a shock to the system and a proportion of scalp hair follicles go into hibernation. As the environmental insult passes and the body recovers, the TE subsides and there is new hair growth.

Read more at WebMD: http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/hair-loss/effluviums

They talk about how pregnancy can spark hair loss on the second page.
  • suse56
    Options
    I agree with seeing the doc. But also if you are not getting your healthy oils in that can happen. You should get at least 2 teaspoons of healthy oil every day.
  • KayakAngel
    KayakAngel Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    My hair got really thick and sort of curly when I was pregnant, only to fall out in scary amounts after I stopped nursing (3 months). I'm guessing it's hormonal, but that's only because it happened to me.
  • cinnamonbunz87
    Options
    I actually have only been eating around 1000 calories a day...I'm hardly ever hungry anymore because my stomach shrank so much. Could that be the problem?
  • supertracylynn
    supertracylynn Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    This is normal.

When you're pregnant, you don't lose your hair like you normally do (a few strands here, a few there, no biggie).

After a certain amount of time post-partum, your body starts shedding the extra hairs that made your hair so luscious during pregnancy.

Mine came out in massive chunks after my second kid, yikes!
  • dieseljay74
    Options
    My aunt started doing P90X and lost a ton of hair.....when she stopped it grew back!
  • angelew
    angelew Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    same thing happened to me after both babies. must be hormonal- give it a little time. are you nursing?
  • JustMichelleB
    Options
    You had a baby 6mo ago, you are in prime post partum hairloss time.

You could also not being eating enough 1000cal/day? Does this include exercise? Are you nursing?
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    My doctor was just telling me yesterday that hair loss can occur 4-6 months after any major stressful event such as giving birth.

Although, I would always go for a second opinion that isn't the internet (DOCTOR!)
  • cinnamonbunz87
    Options
    I'm not nursing, and I do exercise when I get the chance. My 2 kids keep me so busy though that it's hard to find the time to eat, that and I'm not hungry very often. I didn't lose any hair after my first baby though. I will up my cals and see if that helps :) Thank you all for your help!
  • gruisclan4
    Options
    My bet is that you are loosing your hair do to having a baby. I had such thick hair when pregnant and then lost so much of it when my hormones got back to normal. But it wouldn't hurt to call your Dr.s nurse to find out if they want to check your blood levels.
  • siabevis
    Options
    Try Biotin 5000mcg from GNC
  • Gigi_licious
    Gigi_licious Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    I haven't read any replies, so sorry if this has already been mentioned.......are you getting enough fats in? Fat is just as important as protein.
  • MARI1010
    MARI1010 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Its due to hormonal changes. The very same thing happened to me around the same time after having my daughter. Everyone warned me that would happen, i thought i was lucky and beat the hair loss but it did kick in months after having my baby. And to add to this biotin also makes you loss hair. I know because ive taken it on and off for years. It causes new hair growth and will make it grow real fast and long but you will shed tons. So ive experienced both these things as you. If i could recommend something which i think has been the ONLY things that has helped me with the hair loss as well as the over all health and texture of my hear is NIOXIN supplements. Theyre a bit pricey and they have a whole line of products which are actually real good.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Ditto the post pregnancy thing. Happened all 3 times to me. It is disgusting.

And you should be eating MORE than 1000 calories.