Quick, Delicious Pasta with Hummus Sauce

Options
This is one of my favorite meals! It's less than 300 calories, less than 5g of fat, and of course---simple, easy, delicious. Also: easily vegetarian/vegan. This is a single serving.

3/4 cup of pasta (I prefer whole wheat)
1-2 tbsp of hummus
1/4 cup of canned tuna -or- 1/4 cup of black beans, chickpeas...any bean you like
spices (garlic salt, onion powder, dried basil, Old Bay...)

First, prepare the pasta. Honestly, I usually don't have time for the boiling water on the stove thing, so I stick it in a tupperware container with some water and nuke it in the microwave for about 8 minutes. For ww pasta, you'll probably need 10-11.

Before you drain the pasta, reserve some of the pasta water--maybe about a 1/4 cup. Put a tablespoon or two of hummus in a bowl and add a little of the pasta water at a time, whisking it all up with a fork. Add pasta water until it reaches the consistency you desire. Add spices--I like garlic salt, Old Bay, and lemon juice. Then mix it all up and enjoy.

A trick I use---if you're adding a protein (like beans, canned chicken or tuna), place it in your strainer before you drain the pasta. Then dump the pasta and water all over the top of it: this warms up the protein and gets it all mixed together!

This recipe is super adaptable: you can add cheese, wilt some spinach and mix it in...the possibilities are endless. I'm a student and I probably make this at least 3 times a week.

Here's a tasty photo! http://i1184.photobucket.com/albums/z333/jayseegraffiti/food/3.jpg

Replies

• fitinprogress
    Options
    Huh, I hadn't heard of this before, but it sounds amazing. Thanks for the recipe!
  • blpope
    blpope Posts: 163
    Options
    Bump..sounds delicious! I'm a student too, so anything simple is greatly appreciated!
  • shesblossoming
    Options
    Oh, dear. I just tried for the first time salad with hummus dressing, and it was fantastic. This sounds amazing too. I'm going to try this with spaghetti squash!
  • KeriD
    KeriD Posts: 324
    Options
    Looks yummy! thank you!
  • Imsojen
    Imsojen Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    wow so simple and yet sounds so good!!
  • spinachdiva
    Options
    Mmm...using spaghetti squash instead of pasta would be a great way to get in more fiber + veggies!

Also, I forgot to mention this...it's really important to use the pasta water! This has all sorts of good starches in it from cooking the pasta that make the sauce creamy and tasty.
  • easfahl
    easfahl Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    What a clever idea! Thanks so much for sharing. Can't wait to try it.