When to start wearing a belt on squats?

I’ve managed to get my squats up to 220lbs for 5 reps and I’m getting to the “this is kinda heavy” stage. When should I start wearing a belt to protect my back?

Replies

• Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,766 Member
    Yesterday.

I don't think a belt protects your back much by itself. You need to brace and breathe in, creating intra-abdominal pressure. The belt helps with that. And maintain that braced core until you are nearly standing.
  • drv123
    drv123 Posts: 70 Member
    Thanks, think I’ll back down slightly to make sure my bracing is on point before going heavier.
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 2,112 Member
    Unless you're a serious powerlifter belts are counterproductive 99% of the time.
  • Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,766 Member
    drv123 wrote: »
    Thanks, think I’ll back down slightly to make sure my bracing is on point before going heavier.
    There's a good recent vid here from World's Strongest Man Mitchell Hooper on breathing and bracing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MbKcQTcPpg
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,547 Member
    Yeah the belt won’t do anything for your back - that’s kind of a misnomer. What they do is give you something solid to brace hard against, helping to get pressure and hold it.i guess it protects your back as it stops you folding under heavy load.

You’ll get different views on when you should use a belt and the usefulness from different types of lifter (you’ve got some on this thread already), but I subscribe to the “use it if it helps” camp. I use mine for heavy lifts or high velocity, as it helps me to hold the form.i have a tendency to fold on heavy front squats (I’m hypermobile so holding the core upright is hard) and the belt just gives me that bit extra to brace against.

It’s always worth trying a few out in your gym if you can too. They can be expensive and some people prefer prongs over lever or vice versa, and there are different thicknesses.
  • kylemarakovits239
    kylemarakovits239 Posts: 49 Member
    Yes if you want to wear a belt when you are doing Squats feel free and how are you doing today and do you have any fun plans for this week. Please feel free to send me a direct message please I will reply to your direct message right away please
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 10,901 Member
    A belt is a wonderful tool, but can also become a limiting crutch if you start to rely upon it, especially mentally.

I used to use a belt on squats and deadlifts during my powerlifting phase, when I was consumed by the desire to always reach for that new 1RM. (I also used knee wraps on squat.) I think it gave me a false sense of confidence, making me feel bold enough to lift heavier than I was really ready for, and opening the door for multiple injuries during deadlift when I errantly believed the belt could protect against bad technique. (Hint: it doesn't.)

Eventually I swallowed my pride, backed off the weight, and focused upon proper technique, locking everything in before increasing the weight again. I now can lift, belt/wrap-free, heavier than I did back in the day with all the extra support, but it took time to get there.

Let me say that I do believe belts/wraps can have a place in a lifter's arsenal. I used both when I set a new lifetime PR on squat just a couple months ago. But I firmly believe that for general lifting, most people are better off lowering the weight and perfecting technique, saving the support for that rare day you truly want to push yourself.