Activity feed posts disappeared?

2»

Answers

• MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,949 Member
    durden wrote: »
    Hey all, i'm taking a look into this- I don't believe there is an "expiration" for Activity Feed posts but i'm hoping to get a straight answer from our forum provider one way or another.

Otherwise, the only other cause I could see is that one of you (either the poster of the comment or the owner of the feed) clicked the "x" button to delete it, either on purpose or on accident and forgot/didn't notice.
    Any update yet?

Not yet. I'll reach out the second I have more information, but at the moment I am getting the impression that this is a bug, or at least not intentional.

Anything?
    Anything at all?
  • SafariGalNYC
    SafariGalNYC Posts: 1,307 Member
    edited September 14
    I decided to post on my activity wall to try it out .. after the newsfeed was discontinued..

And…

The entirety of a few months of posts and commentary is gone. ☹️ I haven’t manually deleted.

@MargaretYakoda - did yours return?
  • KareninCanada
    KareninCanada Posts: 959 Member
    I will add to this that my activity feed posts that are more than 60 days old have all vanished. I hadn’t ever used it before June so didn't have much there. But today there is nothing there prior to July 14.
  • MargaretYakoda
    I decided to post on my activity wall to try it out .. after the newsfeed was discontinued..

And…

The entirety of a few months of posts and commentary is gone. ☹️ I haven’t manually deleted.

@MargaretYakoda - did yours return?
    Nope.
    Most posts are still gone.

And since we still don’t have an answer or explanation, I don’t think the powers that be around here actually care.

Sorry. But that’s what it feels like.
  • durden
    durden Posts: 3,468 MFP Staff
    Nope.

And since we still don’t have an answer or explanation, I don’t think the powers that be around here actually care.

@MargaretYakoda Still here and care, just returning from vacation.

So it turns out this is intentional design from Vanilla; posts are intended to be "pruned" after 60 days, with the intention being to avoid content bloat/spam.

Currently in discussion with them about extending that window, but at the moment it doesn't seem that removing the removal window altogether isn't an option.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,770 Member
    Nope.

So it turns out this is intentional design from Vanilla; posts are intended to be "pruned" after 60 days, with the intention being to avoid content bloat/spam.

Currently in discussion with them about extending that window, but at the moment it doesn't seem that removing the removal window altogether isn't an option.

Thank you for the update, @Durden. I hope you enjoyed your vacation!

I admit, this 60-day "pruning feature" seems non-good to me, especially if Activity Feed is being pushed as a substitute for the former Newsfeed. I wasn't a big Newsfeed fan personally, but I understand that many people valued it . . . and I think that Activity Feed was a poor substitute for many reasons, even before we knew about the 60-day "pruning".

However, I'm also aware that you (and your colleagues in roles where you interact with us on behalf of Official MFP) were not the decision makers in this situation. This is probably more of a thorn in your side than otherwise.
  • MargaretYakoda
    Nope.

Oh. I don’t think you are “the powers that be”
    You are clearly a hardworking employee.

To be clear my previous posts were up for a great deal longer than 60 days. My oldest ones were a year or more. So I think this is likely a recent change on Vanilla’s part.

I still miss the newsfeed. The activity feed is not a good replacement. And I get the newsfeed is not coming back. I’ve made my peace with it.

Perhaps the best way forward is to just be clear in whatever informational postings y’all do that the activity feed is designed by Vanilla to be temporary.
  • durden
    durden Posts: 3,468 MFP Staff
    Perhaps the best way forward is to just be clear in whatever informational postings y’all do that the activity feed is designed by Vanilla to be temporary.

Totally heard. In fairness, when I brought this issue up to their support, even they seemed surprised to learn about this particular limitation.

Full transparency; I don't believe keeping Activity Feed posts in perpetuity is in the cards at this moment, but we are almost certainly going to be extending that "pruning" window. Documentation will be updated once things are settled and finalized.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,654 Member
    What is “activity feeds”?

News feeds should never have been removed. They try to say that not many people used it, but that’s a lie. Connecting with friends on their newsfeeds is what kept most of my friends on track and reaching goals. Now most of my friends have left or rarely log on.
  • KareninCanada
    KareninCanada Posts: 959 Member
    edited September 22
    What is “activity feeds”?

News feeds should never have been removed. They try to say that not many people used it, but that’s a lie. Connecting with friends on their newsfeeds is what kept most of my friends on track and reaching goals. Now most of my friends have left or rarely log on.

If you go to the top of this Community section and tap on your profile photo to get to your profile, then tap your photo again, there's a little "activity feed" section there where you can post a comment on your profile. It's visible to anyone who visits your profile, and they can comment on it. They encouraged using it as a replacement for the newsfeed, but it has huge weaknesses. Few know about it, fewer use it, and it auto-deletes posts after 60 days.