Late in the day calorie stuffing / being unable to eat

Options
Problem number 1: I've noticed lately that I try and eat healthy options in small portions for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, and moderate my two other snacks during the day, but then nighttime comes and I sometimes still have 400 calories to consume! And nothing I have for snack 3 could make me reach 1200 unless I eat a gross amount of it... I'd eat fruit but that always puts me waaaaay over my sugar limits. I think I could probably make it up in drinks, since I essentially have been drinking only water (and cut sodas and sugary fruit drinks out of my diet...apart from the last few days, since I've been worried about not eating ENOUGH calories). I'm usually a REALLY big milk drinker, but once again, sugar... No only that, but I'm never really hungry at night anymore (broke the snacking habit, yay!). So what's more harmful towards my weight loss: having a non-healthy conscious snack after dinner (around 6:30) to make up the calories, or just being under for the day (and, as MFP reminds you, eating under a certain amount can kickstart "starvation mode")?

Problem number 2 (kinda related): For the past week I've had this damn canker sore in THE most irritating place in my mouth- not only is its location making it slow to heal (keeps rubbing against my gums/teeth) but it's nearly impossible for me to eat! So for this past week in particular, my calorie count has been very low :( How badly is this going to affect me?

SORRY FOR THIS BEING REALLY WORDY! Thanks for any help/insight! :)

Replies

• anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    You could eat a bit more for breakfast, lunch, and/or dinner. Then again, if it fits in your calories to eat something a bit on the indulgent side to meet your calorie goal, it's not gonna be detrimental to your weight loss either. I'd usually have a protein shake or something.
  • thirtyandthriving
    thirtyandthriving Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    "Eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince , and dinner like a pauper."

Add a couple of eggs and cheese into your breakfast! :)

Sugar from milk and fruits are not the same as sugars from candy and sweets, unless you are diabetic I wouldn't worry about sugars as much if they come from "Clean" Food. Just my opinion. Plus Milk will give you protein. If I am way under I'll drink a glass of milk-or even chocolate milk- at the end of the day.
  • tolygal
    tolygal Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't eat or drink something crappy to get your calories in - your body needs good fuel, not just empty calories. I would try to eat something more (healthy) for your other meals during the day. 100 calories each meal/snack should do it.
  • bzmom
    bzmom Posts: 1,332 Member
    Options
    Not really answering on your eating habits but on that canker sore. Rinse your mouth with listerin a couple times a day and/or rub lemon on it. Yes it burns like *kitten* but it will help heal quicker.
  • SRGutierrez
    Options
    Listen to anubis, his number says it all. I personally try for a bigger breakfast since I know I can burn it later during the day and a smaller dinner. My 2 cents at least.
  • swaymyway
    swaymyway Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Why does the food have to be 'unhealthy' again? There are higher calorie foods/snacks that are still good for you. Also why can't you eat more during the day when you are hungry? Add 100 calories to each meal and you#ve solved your problem.

Eating less than 1200 regularily is really not good for you in the long term.
  • SRGutierrez
    Options
    Not really answering on your eating habits but on that canker sore. Rinse your mouth with listerin a couple times a day and/or rub lemon on it. Yes it burns like *kitten* but it will help heal quicker.

My mom would but salt, yes salt, on them. About the only times I'd see her tear up, but it worked, I guess.
  • JRMcCaghren
    Options
    Most researchers say anything under 1200 calories is unhealthy. So you should try to eat something. It shouldn't be that difficult. Just have something you enjoy eating. For example, I like cashews. They have a lot of natural, healthy fats and (at least the brand I get) is 160 calories per ounce. So they make a nice snack. Also, you might throw in extra protein for one of your meals. Protein is essential to muscle toning and fat loss, so you should get plenty of it.
  • fionat29
    fionat29 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    If you know that you have a problem with unused calories, then couldn't you just eat a bit more during the rest of the day? A bit more carbohydrate perhaps? As to your sore mouth, I can't help I'm afraid, I have no knowledge in that area. :bigsmile:
  • JRMcCaghren
    Options
    With regard to the canker sore, my mom put salt on it. I saw someone else said the same thing. I've done it, and it hurts like hell, but honestly I can't tell it does much of anything.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    Listen to anubis, his number says it all. I personally try for a bigger breakfast since I know I can burn it later during the day and a smaller dinner. My 2 cents at least.

Aww, thanks.

I personally choose to eat anything I want, as long as I hit my macro target. Most of it comes from natural sources of produce and charred animal flesh, while the rest of it comes from supplements. Depends on one's personal goal.
  • kristilovescake
    kristilovescake Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    If you need more calories - try adding a handful of nuts. I've been eating raw almonds; they're high in protein (and calories) and are a good snack!
  • aliburstall
    Options
    Most people watching calories and carbs aren't getting enough potassium in their diet. A baked potato with a TBSP butter will make up the deficit, with very few sugars, while adding 1000 MG potassium. Potassium regulates blood pressure, blood sugar, leg cramps, flushes out water and modifies the effects of sodium.
  • cherylwhite
    cherylwhite Posts: 68 Member
    Options

My mom would but salt, yes salt, on them. About the only times I'd see her tear up, but it worked, I guess.

I used to get cold sores and canker sores quite frequently. Now I take Lysine (an amino acid) and it really works. Recently I've been taking it every day, but it also works pretty well if you take it at the very first sign of a cold sore or canker sore. It makes it less painful and last a shorter amount of time. You can get it at GNC or most places where they sell vitamins.
  • mimi2kk
    mimi2kk Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    walnuts, almonds, pistachios are high in calories, high in protein and heart-healthy fats for a small serving.
  • thelittlefox
    Options
    Why does the food have to be 'unhealthy' again? There are higher calorie foods/snacks that are still good for you. Also why can't you eat more during the day when you are hungry? Add 100 calories to each meal and you#ve solved your problem.

Eating less than 1200 regularily is really not good for you in the long term.

It doesn't HAVE to be, it's just all the healthier options I've gotten would require to me to eat a really large portion to compensate.

And probably because of problem 2, I'm really not very hungry during the day. The meals I'm eating now are really filling me up. I suppose the best option would be to eat a bigger breakfast, even though that's the point during the day when I'm LEAST hungry...but it's also my lowest calorie meal for the most part.

Another question...how much under 1200 is TOO little? Even as little as 100? I mean, I'm usually reaching at least 900-1100 calories... Obviously the former isn't healthy but is 1100 still bad?
    Most people watching calories and carbs aren't getting enough potassium in their diet. A baked potato with a TBSP butter will make up the deficit, with very few sugars, while adding 1000 MG potassium. Potassium regulates blood pressure, blood sugar, leg cramps, flushes out water and modifies the effects of sodium

I definitely noticed the lack of potassium in my diet :( And I loved baked potatoes, I don't know why this never occurred to me as a simple addition to a lunch or dinner :) Definitely taking this one up, thank you! (Flushes out water too? Awesome!)
  • thelittlefox
    Options

I used to get cold sores and canker sores quite frequently. Now I take Lysine (an amino acid) and it really works. Recently I've been taking it every day, but it also works pretty well if you take it at the very first sign of a cold sore or canker sore. It makes it less painful and last a shorter amount of time. You can get it at GNC or most places where they sell vitamins.

Really? I tend to get them frequently within a short period about two times a year, so I think this would be a great idea for me...thanks! :)