Going out to dinner....HELP!

Options
So, I am going out to dinner tonight with some friends....I know it is totally fine to enjoy every now and then...just looking to make a healthier option since I have a wedding this weekend too and I know I will not be eating the best!

two dinner options I am looking at ahead of time are:

1. Pan seared pistachio encrusted salmon drizzled with a raspberry coulis sauce
OR
2. Pan sauteed chicken breast with portobello mushrooms, green onions, and sun-dried tomatoes finished in a light chardonnay wine cream sauce topped with goat cheese over risotto

Suggestions on those 2? I have NO idea what the nutrition facts would look like for either of them...

Replies

• jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    IMO I think #1 would be less calories
  • sadlazarus
    Options
    Salmon for righteousness.
  • muitobem
    muitobem Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Anything with a cream sauce will be higher fat...and the cheese as well...Even though that's what I would probably pick just because i've never had it before...
    but the salmon is healthier...Fish is usually a better healthier option anyways...as long as it's not fried!
  • fionat29
    fionat29 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Chicken for me please!! Lol!! Sorry I know that's no help but it sounds so delicious! Lol! Whatever you end up having, enjoy it!! Lol!
  • JillM135
    Options
    Definately the salmon!
  • Pickedlast4gym
    Options
    Ask if they can just sear the salmon, skipping the pistacios....ask for the dressing on the side....either way, get dressing on the side...anything sauteed and finished with cream is a diet buatee
  • groomchick
    groomchick Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Craem sauce and risotto??? I think your better off with the salmon!
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    both are going to be high calorie meals... encrusting a high calorie/high fat fish with high calorie nuts = lots of calories! Granted, it is good fats.

sauteed chicken breast = lots of fat added in cooking! cream sauce = lots of fat and calories. goat cheese = more calories and risotto = lots of fat and calories.

If you are looking to "healthify" them.....
    ask for either to be prepared with no oil/butter and skip the sauces. ask for steamed veggies on the side instead of risotto.
  • mermx
    mermx Posts: 976
    Options
    I live in the UK and just been out to dinner with my Dad ( he is here for the weekend) I chose `tipsy steak pie with fries and peas` it said 1160 cals on the menu. I ate the steak from the pie, half the chips and all the peas. Drank water....

So am calculating 550 cals...prob over estimating.

You can probably make a more healthy choice :-)

PS I had 600 cals left from my 1200 cal allowance :-)
  • MindyBlack
    MindyBlack Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    Frequenltly the chef will modify a dish to make it lower in cals and fat. If something comes in sauce you can either ask for none or to put it on the side. I dip my fork very lightly in the sauce then add the food. You still get good flavor without smothering the food. More often than not though I have found sauceless is even better as you can taste the main dish better.
    I would ask your server if there is a way to lighten up either of those recipes.