Favorite Books Destroyed by the Movie

Options
JNick77
JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
The soundtrack thread got me thinking about this. Inevitably a movie comes out about our favorite book or a book we really enjoyed reading. Some movies are pretty good and some are just awful in relation to the book. I'll start,

Decent translation:
1. Da'Vinci Code: The movie was actually pretty well done, pretty happy overall
2. Hunt for Red October: Decent transition to film

Awful
1. Jurassic Park: almost completely different, even the sequel
2. Star Wars Prequels (all 3): The books were really good and gave great insight into the characters, the movies...

Your turn...

Replies

• LuluGirl140
    LuluGirl140 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    My Sister's Keeper. The book had a MUCH better ending...Good movie if you hadn't read the book. Good interpretation except for the ending. Sad.
  • Fayve
    Fayve Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Not quite a movie, but a TV series:

Sword of Truth was always my favourite, by Terry Goodkind. They made it into a TV show called 'Legend of the Seeker". It's like one massive blob of turd that they're presenting to us.

Such an incredible story, ruined /sigh.
  • ksmarathon2010
    Options
    I agree, My Sister's Keeper, the wrong sister dies in the movie.
  • Brittany1414
    Options
    Water for Elephants...book was amazing....movie not so much!!
    Im reading The Help right now and I hope the moivce is as good as the book!
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    Tomorrow When The War Began was actually done pretty decent. :)
  • treesloth
    treesloth Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Yeah, ditto on Legend of the Seeker. The only real upside of the TV series is that the producers are apparently unaware of the existence of anything other than absurdly hot women, and they dressed them all in tight leather. Really lousy TV show. I watched every episode religiously.
  • jenbit
    jenbit Posts: 4,289 Member
    Options
    OMG this is my biggest pet peev lets see where do I start......
    Angels and Demons
    Congo
    Jurrassic park all 1&2( I dont even think there was a third book)
    Sphere
  • SDkitty
    SDkitty Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Any movie based on a Stephen King novel or short story.

Oh and Interview with the Vampire and Queen of the Damned...Interview was just bad acting and QotD changed waaaay too many important plot points.
  • rgraubner
    Options
    The Hunger Games series is awesome, but just by looking at who they've casted for the movie.... TERRIBLE. I'm boycotting.
  • jaxCarrie
    jaxCarrie Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    The movie 'The Help' is pretty good...I still liked the book a lot better - deeper character development, etc....but the movie surprised me...I usually don't like the movies if I've read the book...
  • LauraMacNCheese
    LauraMacNCheese Posts: 7,198 Member
    Options
    The entire Twilight series thus far...we'll see how Breaking Dawn fairs later this year...
  • JNick77
    Options

Really? I don't get how move producers pull that off. How and why would you change the story like that??? Obviously fans fo the book are going to see the movie.
  • Angelgrl86
    Angelgrl86 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    The Secret Life of Bees.. the book was good, but the movie was awful. Way too many changes and important things left out of the story
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    "The Thornbirds"

:sad:

I had to re-read the book to get my beautiful visuals back. Especially the priest. My imagination was much better than Richard Chamberlain.:glasses:
  • Ireshgurl
    Options
    Totally agree on "My Sister's Keeper". I've read "Water for Elephants", but haven't seen the movie yet. Gonna have to go with "Eragon" for my least favorite book to movie. They UTTERLY destroyed the story line, left out characters, and the acting was horrible.
  • LauraMacNCheese
    LauraMacNCheese Posts: 7,198 Member
    Options

Really? I don't get how move producers pull that off. How and why would you change the story like that??? Obviously fans fo the book are going to see the movie.

Hollywood calls it "poetic license" and then hides behind that to destroy some literary masterpieces on the big screen...in short they are asshats.
  • CatMauro
    CatMauro Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Water for Elephants...book was amazing....movie not so much!!
    Im reading The Help right now and I hope the moivce is as good as the book!

Good to know, I really enjoyed the book.

When I was younger I read alot of Stephen King...Most of the movie adaptations were TERRIBLE. 2 exceptions: Shawshank Redemption and Stand By Me (ironically both from the same book of 4 short stories).
  • JNick77
    Options
    OMG this is my biggest pet peev lets see where do I start......
    Angels and Demons
    Congo
    Jurrassic park all 1&2( I dont even think there was a third book)
    Sphere

RE Angels and Demons: I'm surprised because I really felt Da' Vinci Code was well done. Even the actors they casted for the roles were perfect.

RE Jurassic Park: Wasn't it awful?? Book 1 and Movie 1 were almost two different stories. I remember right didn't the old man get killed by the little dinosaurs or something or at least attacked and hurt?
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Time Travellers Wife.
    I love the book but thought that the movie just failed to capture the mood.
  • jenbit
    jenbit Posts: 4,289 Member
    Options
    Any movie based on a Stephen King novel or short story.

Oh and Interview with the Vampire and Queen of the Damned...Interview was just bad acting and QotD changed waaaay too many important plot points.

If they make it out of a SK short story they usually dont screw them up to bad. QOTD was the worst piece of garbage ever but that was also because they tried to combine the vampire lestat and QOTD and just ripped out the middle