Tofu Experts Needed!

Options
I was told that adding tofu was a great way to add "creamy-ness" to soup without all the calories of cream. Anyone have any suggestions as to what tofu would blend well into a soup?

I know there is silken tofu, firm tofu, and all sorts of others. I just don't want a gritty texture in the soup. Thanks!

Replies

• taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    I would imagine silken would be the best choice here.
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    Silken is the best choice, but blech. I don't eat any animal products but tofu is NOT my favorite at all.

I add creaminess to soup by either blending in potato or canellini beans - the latter being my preference.
  • ambercanfly
    ambercanfly Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Silken is the best choice, but blech. I don't eat any animal products but tofu is NOT my favorite at all.

I add creaminess to soup by either blending in potato or canellini beans - the latter being my preference.

Great idea... maybe I'll make a base and add different ingredients to see what I like the best! thanks!
  • vegansara
    vegansara Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Tofu is great to blend into things - it doesn't really have a flavor so you wouldn't notice it in soups. I made an awesome vegan ceasar dressing once with silken tofu.
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options

Great idea... maybe I'll make a base and add different ingredients to see what I like the best! thanks!

Also, if you're not terrified of fat... soak RAW cashews over night and puree in a food processor until totally smooth. Add a little salt and you've got yourself a cream <-> ricotta substitute, depending on how much of the soaking liquid you add.
  • gingerb85
    gingerb85 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I am vegan and love tofu (although I didn't until I knew how to actually prepare it). I have pureed it into soup before, but to boost the protein rather than add creaminess. And it was a potato soup, so I'm not sure if it made it creamier or not. Anyway, you would want to use a silken tofu and not one of the firmer varieties. It shouldn't make it gritty.

However, I do second the raw cashew "cream" idea. Delicious!

I also puree beans into my soups to increase the creaminess as well. I make a tomato garbanzo bean soup that is very creamy and has no cream/milk at all in it.