Why Do We Backside?

Options
Well here I am again. In July 2008, I started logging on this site with a coworker. We both lost weight. She hit our goal of 165 and I was three pounds away from goal. We were very proud of our accomplishments. Well, as with every other plan, when things get good, I backside. In my mind I think that I am a naturally "Skinny Gal" that can eat anything and not do exercise. Well guess what I gained ::explode: : back all the weight lost and more. So here I am again, logging on to myfitness pal and exercising. When will I learn that there is no magic to weight loss. IT IS EATING IN MODERATION AND EXERCISING THAT YIELDS SUCCESS!!!!!! :ohwell:

Replies

• pamelawilliams
    Options
    Well here I am again. In July 2008, I started logging on this site with a coworker. We both lost weight. She hit our goal of 165 and I was three pounds away from goal. We were very proud of our accomplishments. Well, as with every other plan, when things get good, I backside. In my mind I think that I am a naturally "Skinny Gal" that can eat anything and not do exercise. Well guess what I gained ::explode: : back all the weight lost and more. So here I am again, logging on to myfitness pal and exercising. When will I learn that there is no magic to weight loss. IT IS EATING IN MODERATION AND EXERCISING THAT YIELDS SUCCESS!!!!!! :ohwell:
  • thejarviclan
    thejarviclan Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Oh my friend - you already KNOW the answer to your question! But the good news is, you did it once, you can do it again! This time you know better!

Welcome back!
  • SHOPPINGDIVA
    Options
    ditto! :drinker: hang in there~ were all in the same boat!
  • jerilyns
    jerilyns Posts: 1
    Options
    Can I tell you what has really helped me? After years of losing weight and gaining it all back, I finally realized that I need to view this as a change in my lifestyle not just a means to an end. I now think of exercising as a daily routine for THE REST OF MY LIFE...not just something I do to lose weight. The same applies to eating right. This is the new me, not just a way to lose weight. And you know what? I like the new me!
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    personally I feel that until someone believes (I mean REALLY believes) that this isn't a plan to get to a goal, but rather a new way of life to live FOREVER, then ultimately they will fail in the end.

That's what I told myself every day until I finally really believed it. I would say, this isn't something I'll be done with ever, it's for the rest of my life.

Now I realize that, and it's easier to make healthy choices, to exercise, and to go out and turn down offered bad foods, because I am resigned to the fact of what my habits are, and nobody, NOBODY is going to negatively influence me or make fun, or criticize me ever again, because I don't care what they think any more.
    :flowerforyou:
  • FitnessGeek
    FitnessGeek Posts: 487
    Options
    Can I tell you what has really helped me? After years of losing weight and gaining it all back, I finally realized that I need to view this as a change in my lifestyle not just a means to an end. I now think of exercising as a daily routine for THE REST OF MY LIFE...not just something I do to lose weight. The same applies to eating right. This is the new me, not just a way to lose weight. And you know what? I like the new me!

Great response.
  • SHBoss1673
    Options

Jinx! :laugh:
  • pipinana
    pipinana Posts: 2,356 Member
    Options
    personally I feel that until someone believes (I mean REALLY believes) that this isn't a plan to get to a goal, but rather a new way of life to live FOREVER, then ultimately they will fail in the end.

That's what I told myself every day until I finally really believed it. I would say, this isn't something I'll be done with ever, it's for the rest of my life.

Now I realize that, and it's easier to make healthy choices, to exercise, and to go out and turn down offered bad foods, because I am resigned to the fact of what my habits are, and nobody, NOBODY is going to negatively influence me or make fun, or criticize me ever again, because I don't care what they think any more.

Here, here! Well said!

One of my co-workers (who HATES working out) keeps asking me - so, this is somthing you'll be doing for the rest of your life? YES! Is always my reply! Yes, yes yes!!!!
  • pipinana
    Options

Glad you're back Pam.... :flowerforyou: :smile: :heart: Just curious as to how your friend is doing??
  • rosiesantos7
    rosiesantos7 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Pam's friend here.

We are both in the same boat. We walked around work telling everybody that we are doing a lifestyle change but look at us now...back to square one!! I guess we need more motivation so we are going to keep on supporting each other. My Fitness Pal was haunting us everytime we went on the internet because we kept it as a home page and never changed it. So it was about time that we did something about it.

Congrats to all the weightloss guys and thanks for supporting us
  • pipinana
    Options
    Pam's friend here.

We are both in the same boat. We walked around work telling everybody that we are doing a lifestyle change but look at us now...back to square one!! I guess we need more motivation so we are going to keep on supporting each other. My Fitness Pal was haunting us everytime we went on the internet because we kept it as a home page and never changed it. So it was about time that we did something about it.

Congrats to all the weightloss guys and thanks for supporting us

:laugh: Hi Pam's friend! :tongue:
    Glad you decided to come back also! :flowerforyou:
  • pamelawilliams
    Options
    I know that it is a lifestyle change. But sometimes changing your lifestyle can hard. But I am going to press on to a healthier, happier me. Thanks for the words of encouragement. My friend has gained about 8-10 pounds back. She has restarted the plan also.
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    I know that it is a lifestyle change. But sometimes changing your lifestyle can hard. But I am going to press on to a healthier, happier me. Thanks for the words of encouragement. My friend has gained about 8-10 pounds back. She has restarted the plan also.

YEAH it is!! I hear that. It took me like 6 months to start believing. You'll get it Pamela! Trust yourself, and you will.
  • lenmana
    lenmana Posts: 171
    Options
    Just wanted to say hang in! Its definitely not an easy road, but it can be conquered. This has been a journey for me for YEARS. Changing little things, but I NEVER SAY THE WORD DIET...when people talk to me about having lost the weight. Its good ol' fashioned hard work and its a lifestyle change.

There is definitely a fine line for being accepting of who you are and where you are at in the journey and also knowing when you are B.S.ing with yourself. I still have improvements to make, but I'm way ahead of where I used to be...if you hang in, keep getting back up each time, one day you'll have conquered the beast!

GO GET 'EM LADIES!
  • JessicaT2007
    JessicaT2007 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    This is my 2nd time around with the same amount of weight to lose. I did it last time to just lose the weight and thought I could maintain on my own terms. Well, this time I do know better and realize that this is a healthy lifestyle, not just a short term thing to lose weight. I know it is forever and even better I want it to be forever this time.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options

:drinker: :drinker: