smoking

Options
I would like to hear from all those of you who have given up smoking and have been off them for quite a while.

I have just given up again!

I would like to know how you get thru the bad cravings ?

Replies

• cheri868
    Options
    Well, I have been smoke free for 1 1/2 months now and going strong. A combo of things helped me: eating mints and drinking LOTS of water when I felt the urge to smoke and starting an exercise program kept me focused on something other than the cravings. Hope this helps you and good luck!!!!!
  • shawnscott5
    shawnscott5 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I'm in the middle of my journey with that. I bought sunflower seeds in the shell. I pop a mouthful and it takes me a while to get to all of them. By that time I have talked myself out of a smoke.
  • Leslietheriot
    Leslietheriot Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I have been smoke-free for 3 months and my advice to you is to stock up on gum. Gum, deep breathing exercises, a pair of handcuffs to keep you from killing stupid people and a roll of duct tape to put over your mouth so you dont curse everyone out.

If I can do it, YOU can do it. I was a smoker for 18 years and this is the best thing that I have done for myself and for my health :)

Good luck to ya!
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    I invested in an e-cig since I like to produce clouds out of psychological addiction.
  • My3Rayz
    My3Rayz Posts: 373
    Options
    I'm still at the "thinking about it" stage...any suggestions?
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    I quit a year ago today - with willpower alone. After almost 25 years I was ready to be over it. Mental preparation had everything to do with my success.
  • elfy66
    elfy66 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Patches all the way! Especially when I've been drinking :)
  • Cakepiebeer
    Options
    I've been smoke free since Dec 24th 2010

I was smoking on and off for 23 years.

I had tried numerous times before, the longest being maybe 2 months. The biggest demise was drinking and being around smoker friends.

What it came down to for me was the fact I felt unheathy. I was really fed up. It's unexplainable how it happens, but its something that just happens when your truely ready to quit.

1. I forcably kept tewlling myself I did not enjoy smoking
    2. I stopped hanging out with my smoker friends
    3. This one may not be applicable to you, but every time I had the urge... I would take a toke off my bowl (marijauna)
    The sensation of inhaling smoke was what I really craved, not the nicotine. After one or two hits, I no longer wanted a cigarette.
    4. I got myself a phone app called Quitnow! It tracks how many days gone witout smoking, cigarettes not smoked, money and days saved
    5. I kept reminding myself that smoking does absolutley no good for me. It offers nothiing at all. It makes a person smell disgusting
    6. Most of all, I told myself I was contributing to the wealth of corrupt tabacco executives who prophit on the weakness of the individuals who are addicted to smoking. Once I looked at myself in that perspective, I really really wanted to quit.

The real miracle for me now is that I can have a beer (or 12) and not even think about wanting a smoke. It truley disgusts me now.

And I did it all cold turkey. And thats the only way that its possible to quit
  • Loko_Ino
    Loko_Ino Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I snort coke now..works wonders..and my house is clean..

Seriously, I replaced the gym with smokes. Went more resistance in cardio so I could feel my lungs really hurting..then over time the higher resistance gets easier and easier and want to smoke gets less and less.
  • vegansara
    vegansara Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I second the patches. Only thing that has worked for me, and is now (pretty much) working for me again.
  • Chaos5150
    Chaos5150 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking in December. This is the second time, and hopefully its the last time, both times were cold turkey. The first time I quit (really, it was a 5 year smoking hiatus) I threw myself into kickboxing and that helped me out a lot. This time I quit because I got pregnant. I just take it one day at a time, but the same thing is true this time around as when I stopped for five years....its hard. Not one day goes by where I don't want a cigarette. I'll always be a smoker, and I won't know if I've actually been able to quit until I die having never had another smoke, but all I can do now is just....refuse to smoke. I'm hoping to get back into Kickboxing again to help me not smoke. Cheers to quitting, may you never smoke again.
  • Kate6868
    Kate6868 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    When I finally quit for real (7 years ago), I didn't have many cravings. It took 20 years of quitting to get to that stage for me,though. I was having such a hard time breathing that I was really motivated to quit.
  • MsFitnFabulous
    MsFitnFabulous Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I swapped my pack a day of newports to extra polar ice.

I also would take walks to cool off rather than reach for a cigg.

And trying to avoid smokers was my biggest hurdle lol

Smoke free since 6/13/10
  • bluangelz
    bluangelz Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking May 31. I invested in an e-cig (white cloud brand). I signed my husband and I for a half marathon and with our first traing run we decided we needed to quit. I had smoked for 35 years. I have bad days where I want a cig really bad. On those days I get on the treadmill and run for 3 miles and it changes my mind really quick. My e-cig really helps also.:smile:
  • richcat22
    Options
    I was a 2ppd x 30+ year smoker, took chantix in april and on april 25 I QUIT!!! I had no problems with the chantix like everyone has heard. As a matter of fact I wish I had used it when it first came on the market. I guess when I get really stressed the urge hits me but that has lessened with time. I thank God every day that He helped me give it up! I chew sugar free gum and I do drink more water. The quitting is why I came back to MFP, I want to be healthy in all areas of my life and with the motivation from you guys on here I will be able to live a healthier life....so a big thanks to everyone on here who post all the encouraging and motivational postings!! Good luck to you and it will get easier and the cravings less and less.
  • richcat22
    Options
    Chantix!!
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    Chantix!!

x2!

I quit 4 1/2 years ago and it was really easy because I used Chantix. I've never looked back, either.
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,203 Member
    Options
    I was a pack and a half a day smoker for eighteen years. January will be four years as a non-smoker. I used gum, mints and nicotine lozenges.
  • SouthernDave
    Options
    20 a day, packed up 1998. I don't think the cravings ever go away, just abate enough to get on with life without *kitten*. Even now I fancy one every now and then.

And the best, cheapest remedy that worked for me was to smoke a whole pack one after the other till I felt sick. Then took the ashtray and put the contents into a jam-jar with some water and shut it and shook it. Then I went cold turkey.

Whenever I couldn't stand it and had to have a *kitten*, I opened the jam-jar and smelt it..........its foul and puts you right off, trust me. It was a lot cheaper than patches/gum!

Good luck with it!
  • JulsDiane
    JulsDiane Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I would like to hear from all those of you who have given up smoking and have been off them for quite a while.

I have just given up again!

I would like to know how you get thru the bad cravings ?

Hubby and I quit on 3/18/2011; I still have an unopened pack in my briefcase. I used a half dose daily of bupropion (100 mg); the normal dose (200mg) is too high for me, makes me angry. Hubby used nothing. His rule of thumb when he has a craving is to tell himself he doesn't do that anymore....i try to just do something else. still have them, just don't indulge...sort of like food.

good luck!