Eating out with friends

Options
Hey Everyone,

My friends love to go out on the weekends and I have been really nervous about eating out because I have done really well just eating at home. However I want to go out with my friends without breaking the bank. I was wondering if anyone knows some good low calorie restaurants (preferably chain restaurants or types of restaurants) or if anyone had any tips for eating out? I don't want to get stuck ordering a 1000 calorie salad thinking it is a good choice. Also, if anyone knows any restaurants that have an under 700 calorie portion to their menu or anything like that I would really appreciate it! :)

Replies

• vegansara
    vegansara Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Lots of restaurants post their caloric intake stuff on their website, plan before you go :)
  • lmelangley
    lmelangley Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I agree with vegansara - try Googling a few restaurants in your area that you like, and figure out what to order before you go. Works for me!

If you're near any 99's, I know they have lovely dinners in the 500 -600 range.

Beware drinking your calories. That's what trips up a lot of us.

Good luck!
  • groomchick
    groomchick Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Many of the chain restaurants have healthier options now. Applebee's has a number of menu meals that are 550 cals. The real trick is to not eat the bread ,rice, potatoes, or pasta. As soon as you get your food,Make a pile of starch and remove it from your plate.... you'll do fine!!
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    Look for nutrition values online...if anything, get something and split it with someone or take home half! :)
  • helma123
    helma123 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Applebee's, Chili's, BJ's Brewhouse. If you know where you are going, look up the nutrition information online before you go. Also, MFP has alot of stuff already entered that you can search for. One thing that surprised me was the salad at Olive Garden. SO FATTENING! Be sure to check stuff like that too.
  • rcrea
    rcrea Posts: 80
    Options
    Applebees and TGIFridays have a lo cal menu and they are reasonable. But if you are really concerned about it why not save up your cheat day for the day you go out with your friends. Then you can splurge without worry.
  • maura5880
    maura5880 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Cheesecake Factory has a new menu they call Skinnylicious. The flatbread pizza is delicious!! I would also suggest avoid bread before the meal, it's just empty calories. At Olive Garden, each breadstick has 150 calories! And watch the alcohol, all those calories add up SO fast too. (Cheesecake has a couple drinks on their skinny menu too :) )
  • GouchisGirl
    GouchisGirl Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Applebees has some good low calorie meals and they aren 't to over priced. I think that Ruby Tuesdays does to. You can always order a normal meal, only eat half and take the rest home for another day or split something with one of your friends. You can also request things to be cooked the special way you want it. Like if there is something deep fried, like chicken, you could always request it grilled instead. Or sometimes you can do a bunless hamburger to help cut way down on the calories. Good luck! :)
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    Cheesecake Factory has a new menu they call Skinnylicious. The flatbread pizza is delicious!! I would also suggest avoid bread before the meal, it's just empty calories. At Olive Garden, each breadstick has 150 calories! And watch the alcohol, all those calories add up SO fast too. (Cheesecake has a couple drinks on their skinny menu too :) )

Bread isn't empty calories. It's full of carbs.