feeling terrible..

so usually im very strong and stubborn and would never admit this... i am feeling depressed. i enjoy exercise but lately ive felt... so depressed and i feel pressure to ddo it all the time. i think its half because i have to really plan and fight to make it happen, if i dont my partner would find every reason to make me not go. but i know that not exercising is not an option because it is heaps important. i havnt felt this way in such a long time... :( sorry for the vent you probably dont want to hear this... im not usually the cry cry depressed one im usually so strong but ts taken its toll on me. i feel like walking isnt real exercise because it doesnt make me sweat, i expect so much from myself, i know i can do it but i feel so pressured :( im only trying to maintain so its not about weight loss.

Replies

• GouchisGirl
    GouchisGirl Posts: 321 Member
    I understand about not feeling like it isn't real exercise if you aren't sweating, but take it easy on yourself. It sounds like you are working a lot harder then you think. It will all be ok, just keep pushing forward.
  • Sorry about your stress. It's good that you've made exercise and being active a part of your lifestyle, so don't give it up! I agree with AngieG33, don't overwork yourself. Take a leisurely bike ride. It still counts as exercise.
  • sryan8408
    sryan8408 Posts: 244
    Sounds like you need to do something new with your exercise. Buy a kick boxing dvd or something and get all that frustration out. Find something to get yourself excited about exercise like a "prize" when you've walked so many miles. Like a pedicure or a new outfit. Something to boost your spirits. I've also incorporated something into my new lifestyle where each day I pick something that I like about myself, one day it was my eyes, another day it was the new muscle definition in my quads. And if I had your abs that you have in your pic I would be putting that down for 6 days in a row, one for each pack you have on that stomach! You look great. If my suggestions don't help maybe you should find a different exercise buddy or see a doc. I had to drop my exercise buddy cuz she was the same way, She would give me every excuse to quit and would say she wanted to work out but when the going got tough she would quit and leave me to do the rest by myself.
  • Maybe you need a break... or a vacation? If your fitness is anything like your diet, you're pretty hard-core. A vacation would do any of us good :)
  • it is very hard to stay notivated if your other half is neg about it have you tried telling hjm how it makes you feel?
  • I haven't checked out your diet or anything and my advice comes from a very stubborn and selfish point of view.
    First some questions who is pressuring you? your partner or yourself, who is pressuring you to do what, and what is most important. Answer these three questions and I think things will become clearer.

No need to apologize for venting, everyone needs an ear and a shoulder sometimes. It helps relieve stress in a a healthy way, and allows our minds to think more clearly once all that emotional clutter is out of the way.

and as a side note you have to ask if your goals are realistic. and most importantly be honest with yourself or else you will never find the answer
  • babyblake11
    babyblake11 Posts: 1,107 Member
    thanks for your advice guys.
    at the moment i go to the gym 3 days a week and do taekwondo 2 days a week, but i dont see that as too much. and i go for walks on at least one of the other days. but i feel pressured by myself anyway :(
    i was thinking maybe switching to taekwondo one a week and do some bike riding or something the other day... maybe im developing post natal depression..but my baby makes me so happy.
  • geekymom57
    geekymom57 Posts: 176 Member
    thanks for your advice guys.
    at the moment i go to the gym 3 days a week and do taekwondo 2 days a week, but i dont see that as too much. and i go for walks on at least one of the other days. but i feel pressured by myself anyway :(
    i was thinking maybe switching to taekwondo one a week and do some bike riding or something the other day... maybe im developing post natal depression..but my baby makes me so happy.
    if you have a new baby you are going through all sorts of adjustments in your life. Maybe what you need as your "exercise" right now is something that is calming and stress-reducing. Walks with your baby all snuggled against your chest in a carrier are a great way to get some exercise and still be with your baby. Walks with your baby in a stroller is exercise. Walking around the grocery store carrying a baby and pushing a giant cart of groceries is exercise. Carrying the baby up and down steps, putting him/her in car seat, etc. are all exercise.

And if this is new to you, it is very wise to discuss it with your medical practitioner. Even though your baby makes your happy doesn't mean you can't have depression as well.
  • babyblake11
    babyblake11 Posts: 1,107 Member
    thank you all for all your advice again!
    i thnk the root to all this is stress.
    i have to plan everything so much that it takes all the fun away from it.. so i have found a way to change t around that will make it less stressful and more fun.. i feel relaxed already , thank-you so much for helping me through this bump!