Kava Anyone?

I'm going to a kava bar tonight for the first time and wanted to know if anyone has any experiences with it? I'm not sure what to expect and all I have heard is that is calms you. Is that it? Why are people so hooked on it? Anyone know?

Replies

• zenchild
    zenchild Posts: 680 Member
    I never knew there was such a thing as a kava bar. Some people get more from it than others. My best friend describes it as angels petting her to sleep. I found it slightly relaxing, certainly not the angel-petting sleepiness I was hoping for. It was about the same level as half a beer, if that.
  • Vegan_Chick
    Vegan_Chick Posts: 474 Member
    Hmm, interesting. I guess I will find out tonight!
  • lesliemcq
    lesliemcq Posts: 5 Member
    Its put me to sleep before (i too never heard of the bar) but every time i've taken it I have the WORST nightmares and I typically don't even remember my dreams. So, i've gone back to melatonin...
  • Amber82479
    Amber82479 Posts: 629 Member
    Forgive my ignorance, but what's kava?
  • Kava is a traditional Polynesian drink, made from the water and the kava root ground up in it. Traditionally it was only used for special ceremonies,and drank by the chiefs and other high ranking members of the village.
    Made the traditional way it comes out very think almost like a syrup and causes a minor to major numbness in the tongue, teeth, mouth and head. It can cause the entire body to feel kinda numb if enough is drank.

At a bar it would be prepared from powder and would be served very thin, think dirty water, and again causes the same effects.

Also it is often abused the way more narcotics are now. So that many people (not usually in bars) add various types of their favorite alcohol to the mixture, obviously making taste better and enhancing the effects.

all in all I would say try it, I really enjoy it, though I have not mixed in a very long time due to religious reasons.
  • Health_Gal
    Health_Gal Posts: 715 Member
    You can also buy Kava root in capsules and use it as a herbal remedy for stress and anxiety I see an add for Kona Kava pop up on this website every now and then. I have used their capsules, and they are much more effective than the Rite Aid brand.

If you want more info, here is the wikipedia article"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kava
  • Keiras_Mom
    Keiras_Mom Posts: 844 Member
    How was it? I've been curious myself as I suffer from anxiety and have read really good reports on its calming effects.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    You can also buy Kava root in capsules and use it as a herbal remedy for stress and anxiety I see an add for Kona Kava pop up on this website every now and then. I have used their capsules, and they are much more effective than the Rite Aid brand.

If you want more info, here is the wikipedia article"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kava
    Good to know that there is a brand that works. I tried some years ago (don't know what brand) and they did absolutely nothing.
  • Health_Gal
    Health_Gal Posts: 715 Member
    The Kona Kava capsules are really good. They helped me get past my dental phobia. You can Google to find the website, or order them through Amazon.