I'm falling off the wagon

Options
I exercised once this week and tonight I had six chocolate chip cookies. Its been a slow spiral down for the last two weeks. I'm trying different workouts, but really nothing is motivating. Even though I have a health concern and feel better when I exercise, that is not even enough motivation to kick my butt in gear.

I lost 15lbs since joining MFP and 10 before that so I've made some good progress. I'm pretty sure I've gained 1 to 2 lbs back and that isn't much. I'm not going to beat myself up for those 2 lbs, but I need to get back on track before it gets worse.

Anyone have any stories they can share to get me motivated? At this point I'd even take some tough love. Britt

Replies

• McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    There is no wagon. There is only you.

And if you want to be healthy, be healthy.

You can do it. You just have to believe that.
  • heybrit
    heybrit Posts: 140
    Options
    http://theskinnyveg.tumblr.com/tagged/motivation

Pages and pages of pictures, quotes, etc to motivate.
  • heybrit
    heybrit Posts: 140
    Options
    Honestly though, there is nothing anybody can say or tell you that will put you back on the journey. It's up to you and you only. If you want to do this, you will. If you don't, you won't. It's that cut and dry.
  • shad1018
    shad1018 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    We all have highs and lows, this too shall pass. You have accomplished something great so fat 15 POUNDS! Yeah :smile:
    Tomorrow is a new day, committ yourself to one positive thing you will do for yourself for the next week.

You'll be great! Wagons are made to get on and off occasionally - Take Care
  • PennyNickel14
    PennyNickel14 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Get back on the wagon!

I have fallen off the wagon, Been chased by the wagon, The wagon ran over me, Then i had to chase the wagon to get back on it.

Not having the most successful day or week is seriously not the end of the world. Working on the ALL or NOTHING thinking is super hard. Next meal YOU will do better. Cause you want to ... And I can tell you want to because you reached out.

Great job on the weight loss to date ... You have seen success and will continue to see it.
  • SusanMcAvoy
    SusanMcAvoy Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    You've made tremendous progress with your weight loss. Don't throw it all away. You can do this!! Please remember how strong you are that you can succeed at this. I don't quit, you don't quit :happy: Remember, nothing tastes as good as skinny feels. The junk food just isn't worth it. One or two days of having a down time may be OK but you need to get right back on this. OK? Sending Love and Hugs!! :flowerforyou:
  • fatboypup
    fatboypup Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    falling off the wagon is way better after drinking!
  • haeden
    haeden Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Read all the success stories on here :) always makes me feel better and motivated!
  • ptrain987
    Options
    I was just like you, after two weeks of exercising and eating healthy i was ready to quit, i couldn't stay motivated. Something about this time was different, after all the countless hours i've spent on researching weight loss and spending a bunch of money i finally was fed up. I told myself this was it, this is my time. I knew that i was REALLY ready to lose weight. I have a pic of me how I looked before I gained all this unneccessary weight and I have a separate journal that i've pasted it to...and all i can do is think of how i would look a lot smaller and healthier, how my sex life would be different with my husband (all positions my fat butt can't get into), and most of all, THE SEXY CLOTHES!!! hehe....don't give up. The one thing i do that really does help is argue with my subconcious. for ex. you say outloud "I'm going to the gym" but in ur mind your saying "well maybe the next day" before that happens you stop it and change it to something positive like " i love working out" or "i love eating healthy" and just say it every day until u rewire your brain to think positively about u losing weight. GOOD LUCK!!!! :)
  • pat2552
    pat2552 Posts: 10
    Options
    If you look at it as one day at a time it might be easier. Wake up each day with an attitude like " just for today I will be 100% successful"
    Then do that every day. I have been working at this for years, had many ups and downs, and I am still a work in progress.
  • James_1954
    James_1954 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I think it's useful to get your mind on something else -- your work, or maybe a hobby or some sort of project. By turning one's attention toward "the outside," if you see what I mean (not about eating, or dieting, or how you've been doing lately), sometimes you can kind of get back in the mindset where eating is what you do to be able to do other things, and do them better.

We think that eating and living in a healthy way is all about the belly and the sore muscles. But, really, I'm convinced that 98% of it is right between our ears.
  • sagetracey
    sagetracey Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Remind yourself why you started this journey in the first place. I have a list of all the reasons why I wanted to lose weight and how I would feel. Every now and then I pull it out and re-read it because it reminds me of how I felt about myself before starting this journey and that helps to remotivate me.

Think about some of your NSVs along the way and how great you felt each time you achieved something you couldn't do before. Celebrate your successes and don't beat yourself up over the odd hiccup.

But above all, do it for yourself. Be your own best friend because you deserve it.
  • _Sally_
    _Sally_ Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    No matter how many times you fall off, as long as you keep getting back on, you will be fine. That is life, and you will never have perfection in your diet and exercise plan.

It is what you do most of the time that has the greatest impact, not if you have a bad couple of days or even a bad week. When you throw in the towel and you let a bad day or a bad week become days and weeks, then that is when you are really sabotaging yourself and you need to maybe review/refine your goals.

Do you have very clearly written goals of WHY you want to lose weight and why you are unhappy at your current weight? You need to regularly remind yourself of the "why" and also how it would feel to be in optimum health and at your goal weight versus how you feel now in your current state.

You have done a really great job with your weight loss so far. Remind yourself that this is a lifestyle change, not a short-term diet that has to be strictly adhered to or else you "fail".

Stay the course. You can do it!!
  • KayakAngel
    KayakAngel Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Consider finishing your profile - Why I Want to Get in Shape and My Inspirations. Then when you need tough love, people can remind you why you're here. Ultimately, this is your journey and you have to find your motivation and self discipline, but you could read other profiles and Success Stories and maybe find points of inspiration.
  • mccgivens
    Options
    Consider finishing your profile - Why I Want to Get in Shape and My Inspirations. Then when you need tough love, people can remind you why you're here. Ultimately, this is your journey and you have to find your motivation and self discipline, but you could read other profiles and Success Stories and maybe find points of inspiration.

She's right...get a visual on what you want to accomplish. Good luck!
  • mmuzzatti
    mmuzzatti Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    Get some friends from here! I have fallen off twice and this time I added some friends and now I belong to them! Best thing that has ever happen to me and they keep me motivated...daily! So if you want to start with me go ahead and add me but get some MFP friends!
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    There is nothing any of us can really say that will kick you back into gear. It has to come from within YOU.

That being said, please know that what you're feeling is very normal. All of us have highs and lows during this journey. We have days where we are gung ho about going to the gym and eating our full servings of veggies and we have days when the gym is the LAST PLACE we want to be and veggies? Pffft. I'd rather not.

Sometimes I let myself have some "off" days and just kind of do whatever and usually by the end of 3 or 4 days, I'm ready to shake off whatever started the downward spiral and get back to things.

You have to figure out what kicks you back into gear. It is seeing a picture of yourself when you heavier? Or how about a cute pair of jeans or shirt that are just thismuch too tight. Find what motivates YOU. We are all motivated by different things.
  • vikesfanmb
    vikesfanmb Posts: 291 Member
    Options

So true. And feel free to add me as a friend if you'd like . . a little friendly support and encouragement goes a LONG way! :smile:
  • sfinsterys
    sfinsterys Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    You don't have to exercise all week... just exercise today. And then just exercise the next day. And then...

I find it helps if I tell someone my exercise plan. Then I feel like I have to follow through or they might call me on it.
  • mamamc03
    mamamc03 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Get off your butt and jump back in it! You are going to get over this hump!