The "It's pregnancy weight" excuse has expired!!!

Options
As I put my sons to bed tonight, I asked myself "Is it rediculous to blame my excess weight from my last pregnancy"? I mean, afterall, blaming my extra weight on being pregnant last year (that's right, my youngest is 14 months old) has allowed me to not feel so bad about still being 17 lbs heavier than I was before getting pregnant. I have come to the conclusion that "yes, it is rediculous to still be using pregnancy as an excuse". I am still carrying extra weight 14 months later because of decisions I have made over the last few months and lack of overall motivation to get back into great shape. I had reached my turning point tonight when I barely managed to zip a few pair of pre-pregnancy jeans and they all looked like sausage casings on my legs!!! I've had enough! I owe it to myself and my family to be as healthy as I can be. I am so looking forward to my journey on myfitnesspal and hope to make a few freinds along the way. Best of luck to everyone!

Replies

• Leslietheriot
    Leslietheriot Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I'm going to use the pregnancy excuse as long as I can....I don't have to tell anyone that my youngest is 11 years old :laugh:
  • lhinds85
    lhinds85 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I am also in the same boat, but mine has been 2 years. I was always big before i ever got pregnant. Good luck with your journey if you need a buddy please don't hesitate to add me.
  • WifeMomDVM
    WifeMomDVM Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    I used it until my daughter was 18 months. He he. It's pretty common. Add me if you'd like!
  • kimi131
    kimi131 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    My mom says she got fat cuz of me. I'm thirty-years-old. Yeah, thanks Mom.
  • mandysmom092711
    Options
    My daughter is 9 and I use it, too! Welcome!
  • stpkellogg
    Options
    I feel ya, my son is 16 months and I am on the same mission!:smile:
  • momwithacamera
    momwithacamera Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    It takes a while to lose weight after a baby, but you are right.. a lot of it is just that it is hard to get motivated and take the time and focus to do it after you have a baby! I have four kids, and my youngest is now 15 months. I finally decided at the end of June that enough was enough, because I had weight still on that I had gained during my FIRST pregnancy!!! So, I started here on MFP and started logging everything I eat, and started exercising. I started with Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred, and moved on to her Ripped in 30 dvd, and 3 months later I have lost 20 pounds! I have a long way to go still, like 50 pounds, but I am going to get there! And if you apply yourself and just do it, you will too! There are loads of people and challenges here to help you! Best wishes as you get started

Jen
  • kristyann86
    kristyann86 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    same here. AND i'm gonna throw in a thanks to the c-section, all the flab is a *itch to get rid of...but i'm trying. that's all i can do and hope for the best. good luck :)
  • stef_3
    stef_3 Posts: 173
    Options
    I started to get serious about my getting in shape and losing weight again once my youngest turned 1.
  • lee112780
    lee112780 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I got a C section too. Son is 3 months old. Why is it harder to lose?
  • suzi67
    suzi67 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I finally decided that since the babies were moving out, it was time to lose the baby weight. Youngest is 17 1/2. Congratulations on making this choice sooner rather than later when it gets tougher.
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    Totally get where you're coming from. I gained 37 lbs with my first pregnancy, lost it all by 6 months, but then gained back 20. Got pregnant with my second with those 20 extra lbs, gained 37 again, lost it all again by 6 months, then gained back 8 on top of the 20 I'd packed on before the second baby. Ugh. But I've been counting calories and exercising for 2 mo ths now and have lost 15 of those lbs - you can totally do this to! Welcome and good luck.
  • jann34
    jann34 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have six kids the oldest being 15 and the youngest being 1 , i dont think baby weight is an excuse . Its so hard to loose weight when you dont have kids , ive never been able to just eat what i wanted without worrying how it was gonna effect my weight. Even after the first baby it became so much harder to loose weight then before. I think as moms we get a lot of greif for using baby weight as the reason its harder to loose weight. ( but it is ) and most of the people who give the greif are men who will never know what its to go through 9mo of a pregnancy , the changes our body is put through phisical and mental and even the time we dont have to just work out on a whim or sometimes even shower lol , or small little single girls who will find out in due time. So remember when you feel guilty for using the fact that you had a baby as a weight gain reason , dont. Every one is diferent some loose weight right away and some take 7 yrs . Hang in there

Ps. I had a c-section with my fourth and loosing weight was so much harder , your body has to recoup from the majior surgery you just went through and certain hormones that come from a vaginal birth are not put out by the body. Its been 4 yrs since mine and im just now loosing weight, Before that i went from a 20 to a 7 in 6mo and now its going so slow but with support and a little understanding with myself its coming off :)
  • crnj11
    crnj11 Posts: 3
    Options
    Wow, I am overwhelmed at the amount of support and kind words I have recieved in only a few minutes! Thank you so much! I am actually getting excited to post my progress and ultimately, succeed! I wish you all the best on your journey as well!
  • feydruss
    feydruss Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    People excuse it for me, "oh, but you had TWINS!" Sure, but that shouldn't give me a free pass to the buffet! I'm working on it, and recognize that it's tough but necessary to keep up with my babies. When they start crawling, which they will soon, I need to able to move fast! I might never be able to lose the "twin skin" but it's a badge of honor.
  • jann34
    jann34 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I agree , and yes we still have to practice self control :) . Yes a badge of honor it is , being a mom is the single most rewarding thing in the world :). Of course you still have to put in the work like anyone else , just dont be to hard on yourself if its not coming off as fast as someone who has no babies :). One more side note i have found that holding in anything makes it harder to loose too so make sure you have some kind of support group , someone who can help you through the moment of wanting to eat a whole bag of dounuts lol cus the baby wont take a nap ect.
  • tinamike91
    Options
    I was always thin when I was young and 4 kids later I am no longer thin! Yes, I use the prego excuse. I never lost after having my first and everytime just lost a little then gained back more. My youngest is 7 and I'm still trying to loose it! I had for awhile and gained back again. Age is also a factor. Hang in there! Stay motivated and just start moving and tracking food you'll get there!
  • lee112780
    lee112780 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I didn't know c section weight was harder to lose :ohwell:
  • WifeNMama
    WifeNMama Posts: 2,876 Member
    Options
    My youngest just turned one, had him v-bac. My c-section boy is 3 now. I have weight from both pregnancies to get rid of, but I know it's possible, because I've lost 20 pounds between pregnancies. I have the following quote magnetized to my fridge: "Nothing tastes as good as thin feels." Of course, running after the kids is a good motivation, don't want to be huffing and puffing after fifteen minutes of pretending to be the freight car for my three year old as "thomas the train." haha

Welcome to what apparently is the "shrinking mommies club". :-) I haven't even been on for a week, and lost 2 pounds already! We can get healthier, stronger, and smaller, we can kick this thing!
  • ckmama
    ckmama Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    Pregnancy along with age changes the body. For some they can get right back to how they were, but we are all made different.

I used the "I had a baby" excuse with my first one for 3 years, then I WOKE up.

I won't use it with this one, he's 6 months so I guess I could, but I'll just admit, I eat too much and sit too much.:laugh: