What makes you feel like a good parent?

Options
savlyon
savlyon Posts: 474 Member
Most days I feel like I would definitely be awarded the Worst Parent of the Year award. Not even kidding. My daughter doesn't even have to tell me, I know it. But SOMETIMES something happens, and I think WOW! maybe I am doing something right!

Today I found a "Hitchhiker" for my bike. Essentially it is a small bike that attaches to my bike. My daughter absolutely is in love with this thing. I can see how fitness is starting to become something that is really important to her. She asked me "Can I borrow this when I have a daughter that is 5?" That is when I realized...yes...I am a good parent. She's sees exercise as something that is vital to life and admirable. She wants to be just like me, and she wants her daughter to be just like her! I'm also very proud of myself for how I have incorporated her into my work outs and trainings. When I run, she is tagging along in the jogging stroller with me. When I swim, she hops in the pool and encourages me to swim faster so we can play after I finish so many laps. Now she can bike along with me, and she will be begging me to go for bike rides.

What makes you feel like a good parent? What makes you realize you are doing the right thing?

Replies

• CindiBryce
    Options
    Does "Dog Parent" count? Lol, I'm kidding.
    But I know I'm doing the right thing when I slam his crate door open and he whimpers as he walks in submissively. Ha ha ha.
  • squishysangel
    squishysangel Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    My girls are 16 and 13 now....when they make good choices for their lives..or recover from disappointments with grace...then I feel like maybe I did something right.
  • jenbusick
    jenbusick Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Last night at supper my 11-year-old asked for a second helping of peas, and said, "Thank you for making peas." And the 8-year-old said, "Can I have more of those crunchy things?" referring to the apples I served with supper.

:blushing:
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    My girls are 15 and 13. I just looked at their grades online and was thrilled to see both are getting all A's and B's.

When they are understanding about a situation and don't throw a fit or whatever when they may not get what they want, exactly when they want it.

Overall, to watch them be good people. People who are willing to help others, be kind, polite and respectful. When they make good choices - even though the "bad" choice may have seemed more fun, their friends were doing it, etc.
  • manderlou82
    Options
    I think what makes me feel like a good parent is when I hear my 5 year old talk about the Lord. I have always wanted to be a Christian example to her and when I hear her quote Scripture and pray and tell others about Jesus it makes me feel great! Also, spending quality time with both of my kids individually is important to me. Whether we are playing, or coloring or reading, those are moments that I will always cherish and I believe they will too!
  • sherrillg
    sherrillg Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Mine are older: 25, 23, and 21. And I guess the proudest moments are that they call me, on their own, with no agenda, just to talk. It really makes my day! :-) I told them each when I left them at college that first year that I knew and expected that they would be busy living their lives and that their schedules would be very different than mine so that I was putting the ball in their court and I would always be there for them but that they should call me to check in so that I didn't call and interrupt anything...but that if it went more than 3 weeks I'd be obligated as said loving parent to track them down!

My youngest has 3 more semesters until he graduates from college and then I can also proudly say that I have FOUR college graduates (counting my son-in-law who is parentless other than us).

Somehow or another, sure seems that the whole parenting thing actually did work out ok!! (know that I was right there with you on feeling like a parental failure SEVERAL times while they were growing up!)
  • dlei456
    dlei456 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Most days I feel like I would definitely be awarded the Worst Parent of the Year award. Not even kidding. My daughter doesn't even have to tell me, I know it. But SOMETIMES something happens, and I think WOW! maybe I am doing something right!

Today I found a "Hitchhiker" for my bike. Essentially it is a small bike that attaches to my bike. My daughter absolutely is in love with this thing. I can see how fitness is starting to become something that is really important to her. She asked me "Can I borrow this when I have a daughter that is 5?" That is when I realized...yes...I am a good parent. She's sees exercise as something that is vital to life and admirable. She wants to be just like me, and she wants her daughter to be just like her! I'm also very proud of myself for how I have incorporated her into my work outs and trainings. When I run, she is tagging along in the jogging stroller with me. When I swim, she hops in the pool and encourages me to swim faster so we can play after I finish so many laps. Now she can bike along with me, and she will be begging me to go for bike rides.

What makes you feel like a good parent? What makes you realize you are doing the right thing?

Definitely sounds like you are doing it right!!! She is getting such a good role model in you!

I feel like a good parent when I realize that my 4 year old is kind to others and a lot more flexible (not physically) than others her age. She can really go with the flow. And when I understand something my 20 month old daughter says. I can see the light go off in her head and she laughs!
  • gbelltx
    gbelltx Posts: 142
    Options
    My lids are 20 and 18 and when I hear from other parents how well behaved, respectful, when they are out in public when I am not around it really makes me smile. Just seeing my kids beginning to do their own thing out in the world is a Great feeling as well
  • PoshTaush
    PoshTaush Posts: 1,247
    Options
    When my 2 year old reminds me and my husband to pray before we eat! lol..

Also when he notices if someone is upset and asks if they are ok? It shows how caring and loving he already is!
  • jamk1446
    jamk1446 Posts: 5,577 Member
    Options
    When my teen daughter comes home and describes the dysfunctional relationships her friends have with their parents I realize I'm a better parent than I sometimes give myself credit for. My three children have a home they feel safe to come home to, they feel comfortable to have genuine conversations and confide important things to me and we don't engage in shouting matches (or worse).
  • bhagavatilad1
    Options
    Your daughter sounds lovely and you are an awesome parent keep up the good work. You have to remember kids are aware of everything you do so you must maintain a good role model at all times. I would be lost without both of my kids and I realized they both need me as much as I need them. You are blessed.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!