sleeping when sick?

BeautyFromPain
BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
edited October 3 in Chit-Chat
Just wondering... when you have a cold, is it bad to get lots of sleep and should you limit it at all?
Last night I slept 14 hours and feel like I could fall asleep again right now...?

Replies

• brittanyjeanxo
    brittanyjeanxo Posts: 1,831 Member
    Pfft, I sleep all the time when I'm sick. I slept like 8 hours, got up, then slept for 10. I feel much better.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Just wondering... when you have a cold, is it bad to get lots of sleep and should you limit it at all?
    Last night I slept 14 hours and feel like I could fall asleep again right now...?

I take nyquil just so I can go to sleep. Usually when I get sick, I'll take a day off from work and try to sleep ALL day and night. Just wake up to eat, use the rest room, shower and brush my teeth. If I can sleep an entire day, I usually start getting better by the next day. If I don't sleep all day, it takes me a week or more to get well.
  • MissingMyOldSelf
    MissingMyOldSelf Posts: 689 Member
    I listen to my body when I'm sick. If I end up sleeping for 24 hours, obviously, my body needed it.

Get better soon!!!
  • Sleep is your body's way of healing and restoring itself. It just needs more healing and restoring time when you are sick (and also after you work out).
  • surfrgrl1
    surfrgrl1 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Sleep 'good'. Rest 'good'.
  • tigertchr23
    tigertchr23 Posts: 418 Member
    You NEED sleep . . . don't feel guilty about it at all.
  • haeden
    haeden Posts: 183 Member
    Sleep!!! and drink lots of water
  • sleep and take your vitamins and drink lots of water and you'll feel much better :) I call it "sleeping it off" like a hangover.
  • lesliefoste
    lesliefoste Posts: 137 Member
    Yep, what she said. Your body needs sleep to heal itself, so give yourself as much sleep as possible when you're not feeling 100%
    Sleep is your body's way of healing and restoring itself. It just needs more healing and restoring time when you are sick (and also after you work out).
  • MFPAddict
    MFPAddict Posts: 2,069 Member
    I am not a doctor, but I do play one on TV. The maximum hours you should sleep in a 24 hour period is 23. You should spend at least one hour moaning and groaning about how crappy you feel.

Get well soon
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    I pump myself full of Vitamin C and sleep like 14-15 hours a night when I'm sick. Feel better!
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Jade_Butterfly Posts: 2,963 Member
    It is definitely good to listen to your body and sleep when you are sick, but also make sure that you are getting plenty of fluids. . especially water. .

If you have a cold with very much congestion it is good to get up and moving as this will move it through your system faster. . The other things that I do are make sure that you are getting plenty of vitamin c, echinacea is also good when you are sick. .

Fresh sliced ginger steeped in water with some honey is soothing as well. . Hope you feel better soon.
This discussion has been closed.