Exercise advice to the exercise hater.

Options
PZlady
PZlady Posts: 137 Member
I hate exercise, I guess that's why I'm overweight by a lot. Only cutting calories doesn't seem to be working for me. So...I'm looking for exercises for the exercise phobe --I'm looking particularly to reduce my upper arms and tummy. But I need overall reduction. My knees work but need to be babied sometimes. What suggestions to you have to help me??

Replies

• TluvK
    TluvK Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I hate exercise, I guess that's why I'm overweight by a lot. Only cutting calories doesn't seem to be working for me. So...I'm looking for exercises for the exercise phobe --I'm looking particularly to reduce my upper arms and tummy. But I need overall reduction. My knees work but need to be babied sometimes. What suggestions to you have to help me??

I guess I'd like to know what you hate about exercise specifically...the moving part? Because I think you need to start with some good old fashioned cardio,
  • surfrgrl1
    surfrgrl1 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    i would suggest looking into Jane Fonda's new DVD called Fit and Strong. She has had hip and knee replacement, so she doesn't take you too far. I hadn't exercised in a long time other than walking and I found this to be a great beginner DVD for overall muscle use. 20 minutes, including her stretches. Nothing done on the floor, uses a chair to help with balance for some of exercises etc.
  • Mariposa187
    Mariposa187 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    i know the feeling and i have a bad knee. I started out walking and very leisurely at that just to get in the groove and then pushed myself to go faster and faster. I can interchange between jogging and walking now but try to be light on your feet or else your knees will hurt.

You could also trying just trying to move more throughout the day. i scrubbed my carpet to workout my arms one day :)

Do you like dancing? you could take a dance class or dance around in the house?

There are soooo many things! find something that is fun for you and requires constant movement.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    Walking.

It is easy on the joints and you can lose weight if you do it regularly and push yourself as it gets easier.

Also, swimming. It's another one that is easy on the joints but is definitely effective.
  • cheeksv
    cheeksv Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    Toughen up lol If you are looking for the arms and stuff you are gonna have to do toning and maybe some weight training. walking and light jogging will help with cardio or if you can go to the gym elliptical are good for your knees.There are also a bunch of things you can do besides like swimming, getting into a physical activity for the day like hiking. Something that you wont really see to be exercise. Other than that....if you want good results or even faster results you are just gonna have to get to it.
  • eeeekie
    eeeekie Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Frame of mind change...

Start with walking even if it's a little bit. See sweat differently, take pictures of yourself all sweaty and view the sweat as "melted fat" lol...that helped me. Now I LOOOOOOOOOOOVE sweat...I used to hate sweating.

You just gotta do it...you'll notice a difference
  • cronus404
    Options
    if you can get to a pool swimming is a great low impact way to exercise. Its great for people with joint problems (like knees that need to be babied). Even if you dont do it a lot, the resistance provided by the water is a great way to burn calories.
  • Tereztaylor07
    Options
    Walking is a great entryway to exercise and usually one of the cheapest. Try to walk 20-30 minutes most days if the week and build up from there. I bought an elliptical, and it's also great cardio. You still have to do some toning exercises, but if you are just starting out, just getting moving is the key.
  • bonjour24
    bonjour24 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    you just need to start something. i agree with the walkers. then when your fitness level improves, you need to find something that you can enjoy. you need to enjoy it or it will be hard to stay motivated.

actually, you don't need to enjoy it- you just need to like the side effects of the chosen activity enough to get off your bum and do it!
  • cantjustcant
    cantjustcant Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Yoga. It tones and increases flexibility. Plus it gives a sense of peace and calm
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    You can't really "spot target" where you're going to lose weight...

I personally love zumba -- its the only thing that doesn't feel like exercise so I do it 5-7x week.

If your gym has the new precor amt machines -- they are amazing on the knees -- no impact.
    They are adaptive motion trainers and work your arms too -- i burn about 100 calories every 10 mins
  • RebeccaLeinen
    RebeccaLeinen Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I agree with walking first...if you are looking for a workout DVD i recommend the biggest loser ones! they are really good and low impact
  • Tiffanydepiano
    Tiffanydepiano Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I have a lot of fun with a beginning belly dance dvd and beginning yoga. The belly dancing even provides a little bit of cardio once you really get moving. I have no cartilage in my knees and I can do this for about half an hour.
  • kandrews24
    kandrews24 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Swimming, water aerobics, yoga, eventually walking (you can walk inside a mall in bad weather). Try to move more. Don't think of it as exercise. Try going to the same class. Become a regular. Make friends. Then it is more tolerable. Good luck. Been there.
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    A motto I live by: No one said you had to like it.
    (This applies to anything you do that you don't feel like doing.)

Honestly, start small. I started by walking for 20 minutes M-F and stuck to my reduced calorie diet. I lost the pound a week as "they' said I would.

My motivation increased in time. I felt like I could do more. So I started doing more. I walked longer, then I would jog in spurts. Then I'd jog in longer spurts from this point to that tree up ahead. Then I'd go for minutes, more minutes, etc. You get it... I still can't say I "like" jogging, but what it does for me I do like. It makes me feel productive, strong, and determined. It helped get me through one of the worst experiences of my life.

Find something to like about it if you need that, but exercise is that friend who will look you in the eye and tell you the truth even when you don't want to hear it.
  • PZlady
    PZlady Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Okay, the question about WHY deserved an honest answer so I thought about it and I know this sounds crazy but I don't like heavy breathing and I do like sitting (computers, crafts, reading, watching TV). Also, I'm not athletic so my body doesn't move with grace and flow. I know these sound shallow but if I know what's at the root, maybe I can overcome it and even come to like exercising. (I don't mind dancing on a crowded dance floor b/c no one's watching me look awkward and I can stop in the middle if my knee starts hurting.) Thank you for making me analyze it!! // I'm going for a walk right now!
  • Iamfit4life
    Iamfit4life Posts: 3,095 Member
    Options
    Okay, the question about WHY deserved an honest answer so I thought about it and I know this sounds crazy but I don't like heavy breathing and I do like sitting (computers, crafts, reading, watching TV). Also, I'm not athletic so my body doesn't move with grace and flow. I know these sound shallow but if I know what's at the root, maybe I can overcome it and even come to like exercising. (I don't mind dancing on a crowded dance floor b/c no one's watching me look awkward and I can stop in the middle if my knee starts hurting.) Thank you for making me analyze it!! // I'm going for a walk right now!

I used to have the exact same issues. And you know... I was always told to work out. Never listened. Hated it. I'm lanky and awkward. I am the least graceful and athletic person in the world.

But I gained the weight and I had to get it off.

Today, I spent 2.5 hour at the gym. It's my place. it's where I go that I let go of all the crap weighing me down.
    Start slow, with walking maybe some free weights at home. Yoga DVD's are also a good suggestion.
    When you feel a little more comfortable join a gym and ENJOY this new part of your life!!
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Jade_Butterfly Posts: 2,963 Member
    Options
    Frame of mind change...

Start with walking even if it's a little bit. See sweat differently, take pictures of yourself all sweaty and view the sweat as "melted fat" lol...that helped me. Now I LOOOOOOOOOOOVE sweat...I used to hate sweating.

You just gotta do it...you'll notice a difference

Love this. . so so true. . . to the op. . .walking outside or a treadmill. . . I also have powerwalk from the biggest loser which cost like 10 bucks at Wally world where you only do a mile at time. . . you are at the end before you even know it. . I also love the 10 min exercise dvds from Walmart. . I have a lot of different ones. dance, yoga, etc. . . . Good luck to you!~
  • Lisa_222
    Lisa_222 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    This is what I do. I think I hate it because I get bored so quickly. I never like walking because scenery is scenery. How many times is it interesting? Repetitive stuff kill me. But I joined audible, got an iphone (you can get an ipod too) and now I listen to books. I recently listened to a whole book on the human brain. Fascinating! I don't allow myself to listen unless I'm doing something active so it's my reward. I walk with it, do the elliptical with it my exercise cycle with it,, even do exercise tapes that I know well with the sound off and my book on. It really makes the time fly. Start with walking. I started by taking my dog park where she could run while I walked briskly. I'm still just beginning, but i'm feeling much better about it.
  • livnlite
    livnlite Posts: 520
    Options
    If you hate traditional exercise, then here's a suggestion ... Instead of thinking of it as 'exercise' .. trying thinking of it as 'play'.

Join a team like badminton, baseball, volleyball or some other sport of your choice, walk your dog (or even someone else's dog) daily, ,or something constructive like gardening, building, painting .. etc etc. All of those activities burn calories and build muscle tone...AND offer you a bonus of getting stuff done.

You don't want to work around your own home, then donate your time to help out someone who CAN't do their own. An elderly neighbour or relative or friend. Donate your time to your local pet shelter. There are always tasks and work to be done .. and you will be doing something that you can REALLY be proud of.

There's a kabillion ways to exercise. It doesn't always have to be about gym equipment. Make it fun .. and you won't even know you are 'exercising', and you will make some good friends in the processes. It's a WIN WIN!

Just a tip .. Baby steps! Don't take anything monumental on as your first task. If you overdo it, you will soon give up and become discouraged. Baby steps! Take a little a time, and before you know it .. You have super powers! .. on many levels!

Good Luck!